Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 110V and water

I was repairing some landscaping lighting, and when I took the cover off
of the outdoor junction box, water came out. Don't know how much was in
there, maybe 1/4 to 1/2 cup. I'm guessing it wasn't enough to reach the
wiring connections, held together by wire nuts, or maybe it did.

Because if it had, the breaker would have tripped, right?

--
charles
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Charles Bishop" wrote in message
I was repairing some landscaping lighting, and when I took the cover off
of the outdoor junction box, water came out. Don't know how much was in
there, maybe 1/4 to 1/2 cup. I'm guessing it wasn't enough to reach the
wiring connections, held together by wire nuts, or maybe it did.

Because if it had, the breaker would have tripped, right?

--
charles

Not unless it is a GFCI breaker. Outdoor splice boxes and underground
splices are always wet, from condensation if not direct water entry. If the
type of box you have has threaded knockouts, try putting silicone around the
threads.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Charles Bishop wrote:
I was repairing some landscaping lighting, and when I took the cover off
of the outdoor junction box, water came out. Don't know how much was in
there, maybe 1/4 to 1/2 cup. I'm guessing it wasn't enough to reach the
wiring connections, held together by wire nuts, or maybe it did.

Because if it had, the breaker would have tripped, right?

not necessarily, water is not conductive.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 14, 7:46 pm, (Charles Bishop) wrote:
I was repairing some landscaping lighting, and when I took the cover off
of the outdoor junction box, water came out. Don't know how much was in
there, maybe 1/4 to 1/2 cup. I'm guessing it wasn't enough to reach the
wiring connections, held together by wire nuts, or maybe it did.

How did the water get in?

Because if it had, the breaker would have tripped, right?

Only if it had a GFCI and the water caused current flow in the ground
wire.
Posted to alt.home.repair,Hi

Charles Bishop wrote:
I was repairing some landscaping lighting, and when I took the cover off
of the outdoor junction box, water came out. Don't know how much was in
there, maybe 1/4 to 1/2 cup. I'm guessing it wasn't enough to reach the
wiring connections, held together by wire nuts, or maybe it did.

Because if it had, the breaker would have tripped, right?

Hi,
If it is not GFCI, and pure water is not a good conductor. You should
have drain holes on the box and liberal use of silicon sealant to
minimize water/moisture build up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Charles Bishop" wrote in message
I was repairing some landscaping lighting, and when I took the cover off
of the outdoor junction box, water came out. Don't know how much was in
there, maybe 1/4 to 1/2 cup. I'm guessing it wasn't enough to reach the
wiring connections, held together by wire nuts, or maybe it did.

Because if it had, the breaker would have tripped, right?

--
charles

It may or may not trip the breaker. Water is not a very good conductor and
small ammounts can just cause a small current flow. It may even heat up the
water. Had a water heater that the element cracked and was causing the
water to heat up way too much. That was casude by some of the current
bypassing the thermostat and directly heating the water. Still did not trip
the breaker.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote in message

"Charles Bishop" wrote in message
I was repairing some landscaping lighting, and when I took the cover off
of the outdoor junction box, water came out. Don't know how much was in
there, maybe 1/4 to 1/2 cup. I'm guessing it wasn't enough to reach the
wiring connections, held together by wire nuts, or maybe it did.

Because if it had, the breaker would have tripped, right?

--
charles

Not unless it is a GFCI breaker. Outdoor splice boxes and underground
splices are always wet, from condensation if not direct water entry. If
the type of box you have has threaded knockouts, try putting silicone
around the threads.

When underground wiring insulation fails the failure in manifested by a
chemical reaction between the conductor and the surrounding earth. With Al
wire, this happens quickly. With Cu it's relatively slow. Basically
speaking the cable is eaten away and fails "open." In proportion to the
current the wire normally delivers to the load, the earth leakage is minor
so it will not trip a breaker (except for ground fault, of course.).

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Steve Barker wrote:

Charles Bishop wrote:

I was repairing some landscaping lighting, and when I took the cover off
of the outdoor junction box, water came out. Don't know how much was in
there, maybe 1/4 to 1/2 cup. I'm guessing it wasn't enough to reach the
wiring connections, held together by wire nuts, or maybe it did.

Because if it had, the breaker would have tripped, right?

not necessarily, water is not conductive.

pure water isn't conductive, but when was the last time you saw any pure
water?

Posted to alt.home.repair,Hi
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 22:44:46 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Charles Bishop wrote:
I was repairing some landscaping lighting, and when I took the cover off
of the outdoor junction box, water came out. Don't know how much was in
there, maybe 1/4 to 1/2 cup. I'm guessing it wasn't enough to reach the
wiring connections, held together by wire nuts, or maybe it did.

Because if it had, the breaker would have tripped, right?

Hi,
If it is not GFCI, and pure water is not a good conductor. You should
have drain holes on the box and liberal use of silicon sealant to
minimize water/moisture build up.

Should he seal the drain holes, or use drain-only holes?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 14, 11:32*pm, Davej wrote:
On Mar 14, 7:46 pm, (Charles Bishop) wrote:

I was repairing some landscaping lighting, and when I took the cover off
of the outdoor junction box, water came out. Don't know how much was in
there, maybe 1/4 to 1/2 cup. I'm guessing it wasn't enough to reach the
wiring connections, held together by wire nuts, or maybe it did.

How did the water get in?

Because if it had, the breaker would have tripped, right?

Only if it had a GFCI and the water caused current flow in the ground
wire.

The current flow does not have to be in the ground wire. In fact, a
GFCI doesn't need a ground wire at all to work. The GFCI trips when
it senses an imbalance between the currents in the hot and neutral,
meaning some current is going somewhere else. In this case, it would
trip if current was flowing from a wet connection to earth.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 15, 12:55*am, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:
"Charles Bishop" wrote in message

I was repairing some landscaping lighting, and when I took the cover off
of the outdoor junction box, water came out. Don't know how much was in
there, maybe 1/4 to 1/2 cup. I'm guessing it wasn't enough to reach the
wiring connections, held together by wire nuts, or maybe it did.

Because if it had, the breaker would have tripped, right?

--
charles

It may or may not trip the breaker. *Water is not a very good conductor and
small ammounts can just cause a small current flow. *It may even heat up the
water. *Had a water heater that the element cracked *and was causing the
water to heat up way too much. *That was casude by some of the current
bypassing the thermostat and directly heating the water. Still did not trip
the breaker.

That's also how some of the vaporizers that they sell in the drug
stores to use when you have a cold work. They heat the water by just
using 2 electrodes near each other submerged in a plastic tank of
water.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message
m...

"Charles Bishop" wrote in message
I was repairing some landscaping lighting, and when I took the cover off
of the outdoor junction box, water came out. Don't know how much was in
there, maybe 1/4 to 1/2 cup. I'm guessing it wasn't enough to reach the
wiring connections, held together by wire nuts, or maybe it did.

Because if it had, the breaker would have tripped, right?

--
charles

It may or may not trip the breaker. Water is not a very good conductor
and small ammounts can just cause a small current flow. It may even heat
up the water. Had a water heater that the element cracked and was
causing the water to heat up way too much. That was casude by some of the
current bypassing the thermostat and directly heating the water. Still did
not trip the breaker.

*You reminded me of a commercial kitchen that I serviced many years ago.
One time the manager complained that it was taking a long time for the
coffee urn to heat the water. No problem with the temperature, but it took
a few hours to get hot. I knew that there was a 2000 watt element in the
urn so it should have heated up faster. I took the unit apart and found
that the element had practically disintegrated. The water was being heated
by the current flowing through it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

[...]

.... of SALT water. You need to add salt or they don't work. Don't
you have kids?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

you have kids?- Hide quoted text -

You only need to add salt if the water is low in minerals. Most tap
waters work fine. I've had various vaporizers of that type and never
had to add salt. In the directions, they talk about adding a small
amount of salt if it doesn't work without it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker wrote:
Charles Bishop wrote:
I was repairing some landscaping lighting, and when I took the cover
off of the outdoor junction box, water came out. Don't know how much
was in there, maybe 1/4 to 1/2 cup. I'm guessing it wasn't enough to
reach the wiring connections, held together by wire nuts, or maybe
it did. Because if it had, the breaker would have tripped, right?

not necessarily, water is not conductive.

Water itself isn't very conductive but it IS conductive; it's the
impurities (dirt, dissolved stuff, etc.) that makes water conductive so
it very well could have been. Even rainwater isn't normally pure enough
to not trip a GFCI, for example.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 15, 10:43*am, wrote:
The current flow does not have to be in the ground wire. *In fact, a
GFCI doesn't need a ground wire at all to work. *The GFCI trips when
it senses an imbalance between the currents in the hot and neutral,
meaning some current is going somewhere else. * In this case, it would
trip if current was flowing from a wet connection to earth.

Glad someone pointed that out. A GFCI (so called "Ground
fault ...... ) operates when there is an imbalance between the current
flowing in the neutral and live wires; of say a 115 volt circuit.

If there IS an imbalance it does not have to be leakage to ground!
Although that is a main purpose to protect users of potentially faulty
apparatus.

Witnessed a situation where a neutral wire was inadvertently also
connected to another circuit in the adjacent living unit.

Every time they plugged into that circuit, next door, the currents
were imbalanced and 'this' GFCI tripped!

See another post about whether water conducts! Almost anything will
conduct (slightly).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 15, 10:33*am, Van Chocstraw
wrote:

No? Well wet your fingers and stick them in a socket.

Van Chocstraw

Van.

Correct. If your wet fingers present a resistance of say 20,000 ohms a
'small' current WILL flow.

For example; 115 volts/20,000 ohms = 5.75 milliamps. Enough to stop
your heart in certain circumstance but not near enough to trip a 15
amp (that's 15,000 milliamps) circuit breaker!

At low voltage if I hold the two leads of a multimeter in my two hands
I get something of the order of 100,000 ohms.
If my hands were wet or I dig the points of the meter leads into the
skin it is possible to get it down to less than 50,000 ohms.

That's how some electricians, dangerously, will test for 115 volts by
brushing their fingers quickly across a live lead!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 15, 2:28*pm, "Twayne" wrote:
Steve Barker wrote:
Charles Bishop wrote:
I was repairing some landscaping lighting, and when I took the cover
off of the outdoor junction box, water came out. Don't know how much
was in there, maybe 1/4 to 1/2 cup. I'm guessing it wasn't enough to
reach the wiring connections, held together by wire nuts, or maybe
it did. Because if it had, the breaker would have tripped, right?

not necessarily, water is not conductive.

Water itself isn't very conductive but it IS conductive; it's the
impurities (dirt, dissolved stuff, etc.) that makes water conductive so
it very well could have been. *Even rainwater isn't normally pure enough
to not trip a GFCI, for example.

Well we get acid rain and there can also be condensation within boxes
and conduits etc.
Also variuos impurities/dirt etc. can be present that get dissolved
into moisture and conduct slightly.
It is true that 'distilled' very pure water only conducts slightly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Charles Bishop wrote:
I was repairing some landscaping lighting, and when I took the cover off
of the outdoor junction box, water came out. Don't know how much was in
there, maybe 1/4 to 1/2 cup. I'm guessing it wasn't enough to reach the
wiring connections, held together by wire nuts, or maybe it did.

Because if it had, the breaker would have tripped, right?

not necessarily, water is not conductive.

That is not correct. Lots of hot vapour humidifiers work by running
the current through water between 110 volt AC electrodes. The water
conducts well enough to heat the water to boiling in the tube
surrounding the 2 electrodes - and yes, they DO work with distilled
and/or RO purified water.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Charles Bishop wrote:
I was repairing some landscaping lighting, and when I took the cover off
of the outdoor junction box, water came out. Don't know how much was in
there, maybe 1/4 to 1/2 cup. I'm guessing it wasn't enough to reach the
wiring connections, held together by wire nuts, or maybe it did.

Because if it had, the breaker would have tripped, right?

not necessarily, water is not conductive.

Di-inized water 5.5 × 10-6[1] changes to 1.2 × 10-4 in water with no
gas present[1]

Drinking water 0.0005 to 0.05 This value range is typical of high
quality drinking water and not an indicator of water quality

Water conductivity

Pure water is not a good conductor of electricity. Ordinary distilled
water in equilibrium with carbon dioxide of the air has a conductivity
of about 10 x 10-6 W-1*m-1 (20 dS/m). Because the electrical current
is transported by the ions in solution, the conductivity increases as
the concentration of ions increases.
Thus conductivity increases as water dissolved ionic species.

Typical conductivity of waters:
Ultra pure water 5.5 · 10-6 S/m
Drinking water 0.005 €“ 0.05 S/m
Sea water 5 S/m

So not HIGHLY conductive may be true, but nonconductive would be
false.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 07:58:33 -0700 (PDT), Pat
wrote:

On Mar 15, 9:45Â*am, wrote:
On Mar 15, 12:55Â*am, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

"Charles Bishop" wrote in message

I was repairing some landscaping lighting, and when I took the cover off
of the outdoor junction box, water came out. Don't know how much was in
there, maybe 1/4 to 1/2 cup. I'm guessing it wasn't enough to reach the
wiring connections, held together by wire nuts, or maybe it did.

Because if it had, the breaker would have tripped, right?

--
charles

It may or may not trip the breaker. Â*Water is not a very good conductor and
small ammounts can just cause a small current flow. Â*It may even heat up the
water. Â*Had a water heater that the element cracked Â*and was causing the
water to heat up way too much. Â*That was casude by some of the current
bypassing the thermostat and directly heating the water. Still did not trip
the breaker.

That's also how some of the vaporizers that they sell in the drug
stores to use when you have a cold work. Â*They heat the water by just
using 2 electrodes near each other submerged in a plastic tank of
water.

... of SALT water. You need to add salt or they don't work. Don't
you have kids?

NO they do not require salt, and Chalescraft, for one, distictly
cautions AGAINST adding salt. Apparently there is a chlorine danger
when NaCl is added to the water.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 08:24:48 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

wrote:

[...]

... of SALT water. Â*You need to add salt or they don't work. Â*Don't
you have kids?- Hide quoted text -

You only need to add salt if the water is low in minerals. Most tap
waters work fine. I've had various vaporizers of that type and never
had to add salt. In the directions, they talk about adding a small
amount of salt if it doesn't work without it.

When the kids were little we used one. My wife HATES deposit build-up
in kettles etc, so it was run on distilled water - and it worked.

Better than salt is a bit of washing soda or Borax.(if you need to add
anything)
Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

wrote:

Charles Bishop wrote:

[...]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_conductivity

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I have kids. And I also know how mistaken you are if you think only kids
can use such devices.

Adding salt to the water is not necessary and is specifically prohibited
for warranty purpose of any such device we've ever had.

The work fine without adding anything to the regular drinking water.

Considering this thread was started by a troll and taken on by a buncho
of egotists with nothing worthwhile to do, every single person so far
has missed the actual reason WHY they work as they do. No one has
mentioned the material used in the posts of these things, and althoug it
was obliquely referenced, no one pointed out that current flow will
depend on the distance between the two probes in the water and the
surface area of the probes at first. Once the process gets started,
it's self sustaining as long as any water is still touching both probes.
Me, I'm done with this thread; my only reason for reading it was to
see who the dummies might be. It's quicker than long lurks.

NO they do not require salt, and Chalescraft, for one, distictly
cautions AGAINST adding salt. Apparently there is a chlorine danger
when NaCl is added to the water.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

And there was still some scale buildup, wasn't there? It's the
electro-chemical reactions. Now let's sit back and watch the egos take
off on that.

Better than salt is a bit of washing soda or Borax.(if you need to add
anything)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 10:26:30 -0400, "Twayne"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Actually with the distilled water, deposits were ALMOST non-existant.

Better than salt is a bit of washing soda or Borax.(if you need to add
anything)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I diidn't see any problem with the thread and no one else seems
upset. Also, what makes you think that no one else here knows that
the current flow will depend on the surface area of the probes. Oh,
BTW genius, the current doesn't just depend on the surface area
initially, it depends on the surface area all the time.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Twayne"
wrote:

[snip]

Considering this thread was started by a troll . . . [snip]

cite?

--
charles

110v Transformers Jim UK diy 13 September 5th 07 07:54 PM
A countertop oven (Jetstream) 110V 60Hz versus 110V 50Hz - problems? [email protected] Home Repair 2 November 12th 06 03:18 AM
110V from 220 Dave Miller Home Repair 13 May 8th 06 10:58 AM
110v transformer wiring David G UK diy 3 May 1st 06 10:28 PM
Can I mod a 230V UPS into 110V UPS ? Mark A Electronics Repair 9 August 1st 04 02:57 AM