Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 110V and water

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 07:58:33 -0700 (PDT), Pat
wrote:

On Mar 15, 9:45Â*am, wrote:
On Mar 15, 12:55Â*am, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

"Charles Bishop" wrote in message

I was repairing some landscaping lighting, and when I took the cover off
of the outdoor junction box, water came out. Don't know how much was in
there, maybe 1/4 to 1/2 cup. I'm guessing it wasn't enough to reach the
wiring connections, held together by wire nuts, or maybe it did.

Because if it had, the breaker would have tripped, right?

--
charles

It may or may not trip the breaker. Â*Water is not a very good conductor and
small ammounts can just cause a small current flow. Â*It may even heat up the
water. Â*Had a water heater that the element cracked Â*and was causing the
water to heat up way too much. Â*That was casude by some of the current
bypassing the thermostat and directly heating the water. Still did not trip
the breaker.

That's also how some of the vaporizers that they sell in the drug
stores to use when you have a cold work. Â*They heat the water by just
using 2 electrodes near each other submerged in a plastic tank of
water.

... of SALT water. You need to add salt or they don't work. Don't
you have kids?

NO they do not require salt, and Chalescraft, for one, distictly
cautions AGAINST adding salt. Apparently there is a chlorine danger
when NaCl is added to the water.