Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Leaking Water Coupling Question

Hello,

Have a Union that leaks a very small amount on the incoming water line to
the house.

Really a small amount, a few drops if someone takes a long shower.

Maybe I shouldn't call it a Union, as it is not the kind of coupling with a
spherical seat and no gasket.

This one has flat mating internal surfaces with a gasket between them. I
saw this when the water company man put in the new pressure reducer a while
back.

Anyway, I can certainly live with a few drops, but it is annoying.
I reallyt don't want to call a Plumber in just for this.

I was thinking about hydraulic cement.
Would a very thin smear of this stuff where it is leaking on the outside do
any good ?

Or,... ?

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert11 wrote:
[...]

Tighten it slightly. If that doesn't fix it, call a plumber, or
disassemble it yourself and replace the gasket.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 12, 5:27*pm, "Robert11" wrote:
[...]

Sounds like the "meter coupling", which would have a rubber washer in
the middle which is replaceable. Should be available at any well-
stocked hardware store.

JK
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 12, 6:45*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
Robert11 wrote:
Hello,

Have a Union that leaks a very small amount on the incoming water line to
the house.

Really a small amount, a few drops if someone takes a long shower.

Maybe I shouldn't call it a Union, as it is not the kind of coupling with a
spherical seat and no gasket.

This one has flat mating internal surfaces with a gasket between them. *I
saw this when the water company man put in the new pressure reducer a while
back.

Anyway, I can certainly live with a few drops, but it is annoying.
I reallyt don't want to call a Plumber in just for this.

I was thinking about hydraulic cement.
Would a very thin smear of this stuff where it is leaking on the outside do
any good ?

No chance in hell. It's also a bit curious that you say it's the main
line but it only leaks when someone is taking a long shower?

Go with Nate's advice or leave it alone.

replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel- Hide quoted text -