anonymous

Default Drainage question (accordion coupling)

I have a summer cottage where I must turn disconnect the plumbing for
the winter months. It sits on concrete foundations and in the winter the
ground can heave and move the house a bit and break the PVC pipes
underground. On the outgoing drain (to the sewer system) there used to
be what can best be described as an "accordion type" coupling that I
could easily take on and off to disconnect the plumbing from the house.

Since repairs were made this year to the system, the plumber this time
did not use this coupling and now I would like to replace it. I have
googled the internet looking for it but I am not sure what it is even
called. Anyone know what the part I am talking about is called? And know
where to get one?

Any help would be appreciated.
Speedy Jim

anonymous wrote:
I have a summer cottage where I must turn disconnect the plumbing for
the winter months. It sits on concrete foundations and in the winter the
ground can heave and move the house a bit and break the PVC pipes
underground. On the outgoing drain (to the sewer system) there used to
be what can best be described as an "accordion type" coupling that I
could easily take on and off to disconnect the plumbing from the house.

Since repairs were made this year to the system, the plumber this time
did not use this coupling and now I would like to replace it. I have
googled the internet looking for it but I am not sure what it is even
called. Anyone know what the part I am talking about is called? And know
where to get one?

Any help would be appreciated.

Fernco makes an expansion coupling just for the purpose:
http://www.fernco.com/XJ.asp
but you may have to special order:
http://www.fernco.com/XJ.asp

More common is their 1056 series (used to be called Mission):
http://www.fernco.com/1056.asp
These are *not* No-Hub couplings.
They offer some flex capability and
can be slid down the pipe easily to disconnect.

Jim
wkearney99

I have a summer cottage where I must turn disconnect the plumbing for
the winter months. It sits on concrete foundations and in the winter the
ground can heave and move the house a bit and break the PVC pipes
underground. On the outgoing drain (to the sewer system) there used to
be what can best be described as an "accordion type" coupling that I
could easily take on and off to disconnect the plumbing from the house.

What? Before you go just 'disconnecting' the sewer line you'd do well to
speak with the munipical sewer folks first. You generally can't just
disconnect it. There's the issue of sewer gasses and risk of explosion that
MUST be taken properly into account.

Since repairs were made this year to the system, the plumber this time
did not use this coupling and now I would like to replace it.

A licensed plumber? And didn't follow the local code requirments? Sounds
like that plumber's coming back to do some free corrections...

Call your the sewer department. Do it the right way and avoid blowing up
the house.

To anyone sick of alt.hvac Matt Morgan Home Repair 87 April 8th 05 05:17 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Simple question regarding Ceiling tiles and sound? lbbs UK diy 5 March 26th 04 01:36 AM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Domestic drainage question. sheeprug UK diy 3 October 23rd 03 01:12 PM