Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Air duct cleaning - asbestos insulation

We need to clean air ducts in a building where part of the air duct have been
insulated (from the outside) with blue-asbestos. Removing the asbestos would
involve huge costs and we have a time limit. I am asking is there anyt other way
to clean the air ducts. It probably costs a lot too but at least we don't have to
redo the ceiling. The air ducts are 1.5 ft x 1.5 ft rectange shaped and made of
metal sheet.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 5, 6:37*am, John wrote:
We need to clean air ducts in a building where part of the air duct have been
insulated (from the outside) with blue-asbestos. Removing the asbestos would
involve huge costs and we have a time limit. I am asking is there anyt other way
to clean the air ducts. It probably costs a lot too but at least we don't have to
redo the ceiling. The air ducts are 1.5 ft x 1.5 ft rectange shaped and made of
metal sheet.

Maybe you should run this by the county health department in your
area. There are potential problems that may not be obvious. In
general, stabilized asbestos (if that's what you have) should be left
alone. The cleaning process could release asbestos fiber though seams
to the duct interior, a very undesirable situation.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
John wrote:

We need to clean air ducts in a building where part of the air duct have been
insulated (from the outside) with blue-asbestos. Removing the asbestos would
involve huge costs and we have a time limit. I am asking is there anyt other
way
to clean the air ducts. It probably costs a lot too but at least we don't
have to
redo the ceiling. The air ducts are 1.5 ft x 1.5 ft rectange shaped and made
of
metal sheet.

Child labor comes to mind. Any six year old could slither around in
there, unless he's on the McDiet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:
On Mar 5, 6:37 am, John wrote:
We need to clean air ducts in a building where part of the air duct
have been insulated (from the outside) with blue-asbestos. Removing
the asbestos would involve huge costs and we have a time limit. I am
asking is there anyt other way to clean the air ducts. It probably
costs a lot too but at least we don't have to redo the ceiling. The
air ducts are 1.5 ft x 1.5 ft rectange shaped and made of metal
sheet.

Maybe you should run this by the county health department in your
area. There are potential problems that may not be obvious. In
general, stabilized asbestos (if that's what you have) should be left
alone. The cleaning process could release asbestos fiber though seams
to the duct interior, a very undesirable situation.

Nothing good can come of telling the authorities you have asbestos.

Asbestos vacuum cleaning [email protected] Home Repair 12 December 31st 06 04:44 PM
Asbestos Cleaning Procedures redbrickhat Home Repair 9 December 13th 06 01:38 AM
Furnace Cleaning/ Duct Cleaning Sennin Home Repair 36 January 28th 05 01:35 PM
asbestos insulation Clint Home Repair 6 November 17th 04 02:00 AM
asbestos insulation Clint Home Ownership 2 November 17th 04 01:04 AM