Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Asbestos Cleaning Procedures

I believe I recently exposed my room to asbestos fibers when I opened
up 2 electrical outlets that had been sealed up for at least 30 years.
One of the electrical boxes was clean, but the other one was filled
with plaster dust and cloth sheathing fraying around the wires..

Because of the age of these materials I am assuming they contained
asbestos.

I first fixed the electrical receptacle, which required removing an
inch of the dust and fraying cloth. Then I cleaned up the dust with wet
paper towels and picked up all the visible pieces of cloth fiber which
had spilled to the floor. Now I would like to do a thorough cleaning of
the rest of the room.

I know that a brief exposure to high levels of asbestos is not
extremely hazardous, but I still want to remove as much of the material
as possible.

Questions on cleaning asbestos:

A) Are static dust wipes effective in picking up the tiny asbestos
particles?

B) What is the best way to clean books and bookshelves? I'm planning to
use a air duster and a portable Black & Decker Dust Buster with HEPA
filtration and Cyclonic Action.

C) Do you think I have to bother wiping vertical walls and surfaces?

D) For floors, what is the best chemical solution for removing
asbestos: plain water, lysol, or some type of wood cleaner?

Thank you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12 Dec 2006 00:23:04 -0800, "redbrickhat"
wrote:

[...]

Hire a professional. You already made enough of a mess. Dont make it
worse. Hire a professional. Hire a professional. Hire a
professional. You are too stupid to take any further action. Hire a
professional.
Posted to alt.home.repair

redbrickhat wrote:
[...]

What you are doing is fine. Wear a dust mask while doing it and also
wipe down walls.
There is no solvent for asbestos - just use soap and water and discard
rags in plastic bags for trash. Only problem with asbestos is
particulate in air.

Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

redbrickhat wrote:
I believe I recently exposed my room to asbestos fibers when I opened
up 2 electrical outlets that had been sealed up for at least 30 years.
One of the electrical boxes was clean, but the other one was filled
with plaster dust and cloth sheathing fraying around the wires..

Because of the age of these materials I am assuming they contained
asbestos.

You "assume" the materials contain asbestos. Inasmuch as asbestos was
selsom, if ever, used for electrical insulation (only heat retardation),
your assumption is based on zilch.

If, on the other hand, you are correct, well... at least you no longer have
to floss.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"redbrickhat" wrote in message
oups.com...
I believe I recently exposed my room to asbestos fibers when I opened
up 2 electrical outlets that had been sealed up for at least 30 years.
One of the electrical boxes was clean, but the other one was filled
with plaster dust and cloth sheathing fraying around the wires..

I believe you believe wrong. Wire insulation and plaster do not contain
asbestos. Stop worrying, dust the rom and get on with the rest of your
life. Some day you will probably die anyway, so don't make it from
unnecessary stress.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"redbrickhat" wrote in message
oups.com...
I believe I recently exposed my room to asbestos fibers when I opened
up 2 electrical outlets that had been sealed up for at least 30 years.
One of the electrical boxes was clean, but the other one was filled
with plaster dust and cloth sheathing fraying around the wires..

I believe you believe wrong. Wire insulation and plaster do not contain
asbestos. Stop worrying, dust the rom and get on with the rest of your
life. Some day you will probably die anyway, so don't make it from
unnecessary stress.

I second, or third, the above. I've never heard of asbestos being used
in plaster or in insulation of wiring used in home walls.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You can go in one of a couple directions. Me, I'd just figure that it
takes years of exposure to asbestos to cause problems. I wouldn't give
it another thought.

Since you're taking it more serously, I'd reccomend in your case to
buy a NIOSH / MSA approved dust mask, and a leaf blower. And a 16 gal
Shop Vac with a HEPA bag filter, Use the leaf blower to loosen all the
particulate asbestos, and the shop vac to caputre it out of the air.
Wrap the Shop-Vac in two layers of 8-mil plastic, and tape it securely
with 20 year duct tape. Remove the dust mask, and wrap that also.

Then go check into the local emergency department at the hospital for
testing, and treatment. Sue your landlord for expenses, and have the
building demolished.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I suspect a troll, but if you are serious.......
You dont need to spend money on all this cleaning stuff. What you DO
need is to have your mind cleaned by a therapist. Spend your money
that way instead. One a scale of 1 thru 10 for paranoia, you rate a
#11. GET HELP !!!!!

This whole asbestos scare has gone WAY too far......