Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical conduit coupling sticking out of the wall

I have a junction box on a wall where 3 parallel 1/2" rigid EMT
conduits runs down to.

For some reason the conduits all run to about 8" above the box, the
electrician put in the EMT coupling and continue on down to the box.

This results in the three coupling being very close to each other
running in parallel.

The coupling all have two screws that stick out. Normally you can
loosen them turn them closer to the wall, and tighten them again to
avoid them from protruding out beyond the furring strips.

But because they are side by side, I cannot get this to work. If I
turn them inward there is no room for me to tighten it sideways. Any
suggestions?

MC
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 2, 9:03*am, wrote:
I have a junction box on a wall where 3 parallel 1/2" rigid EMT
conduits runs down to.

For some reason the conduits all run to about 8" above the box, the
electrician put in the EMT coupling and continue on down to the box.

This results in the three coupling being very close to each other
running in parallel.

The coupling all have two screws that stick out. *Normally you can
loosen them turn them closer to the wall, and tighten them again to
avoid them from protruding out beyond the furring strips.

But because they are side by side, I cannot get this to work. *If I
turn them inward there is no room for me to tighten it sideways. *Any
suggestions?

MC

Replace "normal" screws with Allen (hex) setscrews.

Or turn them & tighten with mini-chanel locs or mini alligator jaw
vise-grips.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 2 Mar 2009 09:56:21 -0800 (PST), fftt
wrote:

On Mar 2, 9:03*am, wrote:
[...]

That is a handy "out of the box" idea.
Can't think of anything electrical to rob Allen screws from to keep
from having to go to the supply house though.

In a tight, just cut the heads off with a hacksaw. The chances of
ever removing the conduit whole will be very low.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 2, 12:03*pm, wrote:
I have a junction box on a wall where 3 parallel 1/2" rigid EMT
conduits runs down to.

For some reason the conduits all run to about 8" above the box, the
electrician put in the EMT coupling and continue on down to the box.

This results in the three coupling being very close to each other
running in parallel.

The coupling all have two screws that stick out. *Normally you can
loosen them turn them closer to the wall, and tighten them again to
avoid them from protruding out beyond the furring strips.

But because they are side by side, I cannot get this to work. *If I
turn them inward there is no room for me to tighten it sideways. *Any
suggestions?

MC

Or you could change them to the "liquid tight" variety.

http://www.thefind.com/search?query=...tight+coupling

Ken

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Mar 2, 9:03*am, wrote:
[...]

Better idea than set crews...... the chance of needing to take the
screws out is probably zero.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

posted for all of us...

Or you could change them to the "liquid tight" variety.

http://www.thefind.com/search?query=...tight+coupling

Ken

How does one get them installed without pulling the wires?

--
Tekkie Don't bother to thank me, I do this as a public service.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Mar 2, 12:03 pm, wrote:
[...]

Thanks, however I don't want to rewire everything again.

I think I will just try allen screws for the conduits on the sides for the
middle one I might saw it off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Or you could change them to the "liquid tight" variety.

http://www.thefind.com/search?query=...tight+coupling

Ken

How does one get them installed without pulling the wires?

You would have to pull the wires out. If its only a short distance to
the box, then it wouldn't be a big deal for someone who knows what
they are doing.

Ken
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Mon, 2 Mar 2009 22:47:38 -0500, "MiamiCuse"
wrote:

wrote in message
On Mar 2, 12:03 pm, wrote:
[...]

Just be sure it is tight before you saw it off. I still like the allen
idea. They can be pretty short ones and not even stick out of the
hole. On the outside ones you should just be able to rotate the
connector so the screw is parallel to the wall.
Is there a ground in the conduit?

yes there is ground in the conduit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 05:45:03 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Or you could change them to the "liquid tight" variety.

http://www.thefind.com/search?query=...tight+coupling

Ken

How does one get them installed without pulling the wires?

You would have to pull the wires out. If its only a short distance to
the box, then it wouldn't be a big deal for someone who knows what
they are doing.

Ken

The other problem is a compression fitting is larger in diameter than
a set screw fitting so it usually won't work behind a 3/4" furred
wall.

that would not work, on that same wall i have a 1/2" pvc conduit for an
underground wire coming up and the 1/2" pvc is connected to a female pvc
adapter which is then screwed into a EMT male adapter and continue on with
EMT conduit. That fitting assembly was too "thick" in diamter and I chipped
out some concrete to offset it into the wall and back out.

from whence electrical-conduit locknuts? Paul Hovnanian P.E. Home Ownership 4 January 6th 08 07:56 PM
Electrical Conduit through concrete stem wall [email protected] Home Repair 2 August 28th 07 08:21 PM
Sticking wall back together cj UK diy 8 February 5th 07 08:42 PM
Electrical coupling what's it called? Randy Day Home Repair 14 October 19th 06 06:20 PM
Electrical conduit. PVR Home Repair 8 January 12th 05 01:02 AM