Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Rust Destroyer, Ospho, or what?

Are any of so-called rust neutralizers effective at keeping rust at
bay? Paint and hardware stores have suggested trying Rust Destroyer
or Ospho to neutralize the rust. Another suggested Hammerite paint
which is self-priming.

I'm going to be painting an aluminum (or steel?) post that separates
two aluminum framed windows at the corner of the house. I've scraped
off all the old paint and cleaned out the caulk between the windows
and frames. The post (beam?) has what I think is just surface rust on
the inside but more advanced rust in one spot outside where the
outside concrete/stucco sill meets the post. Will any of these
provide lasting results or are there others that are better? Oh one
more thing, what should be used to clean the post off before applying
whatever I end up using?

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Are any of so-called rust neutralizers effective at keeping rust at
bay? Paint and hardware stores have suggested trying Rust Destroyer
or Ospho to neutralize the rust. Another suggested Hammerite paint
which is self-priming.

I'm going to be painting an aluminum (or steel?) post that separates
two aluminum framed windows at the corner of the house. I've scraped
off all the old paint and cleaned out the caulk between the windows
and frames. The post (beam?) has what I think is just surface rust on
the inside but more advanced rust in one spot outside where the
outside concrete/stucco sill meets the post. Will any of these
provide lasting results or are there others that are better? Oh one
more thing, what should be used to clean the post off before applying
whatever I end up using?

*After scraping, sanding and wire brushing I clean it up with acetone. Then
I use Rust O'Leum primer and paint according to the directions on the cans.
Check their web site for the paint that suits your needs best.

Does Rust Breed Rust? DerbyDad03[_2_] Home Repair 21 October 13th 08 09:58 PM
rust gene Home Repair 2 June 7th 06 11:40 PM
Rust CharterNews Woodworking 22 August 3rd 05 08:50 PM
Rust Removal- Rust covering? Tilt Trailer mechanisms Gunner Metalworking 22 September 14th 04 07:55 PM
OT-Rust Ed Rear UK diy 6 March 2nd 04 09:38 AM