Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Safe to Paint a Light Fixture?

I have several recessed (canned lighting in my ceiling) light
fixtures in my family room. The interior of this fixture
(reflector shield) is black.

They are not your normal 6" fixture, but instead measure 8" which I am
finding is an odd size.

I would like to spray paint the reflector shields black.

Ace sold me Satin Krylon Fusion for plastic/metal.

I am concerned that this may be a fire hazard.

Can anyone advise me on this?

Many thanks.

Kate

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/1/2009 11:07 PM Kate spake thus:

Kate wrote:

I have several recessed (canned lighting in my ceiling) light
fixtures in my family room. The interior of this fixture
(reflector shield) is black.

They are not your normal 6" fixture, but instead measure 8" which I am
finding is an odd size.

I would like to spray paint the reflector shields black.

Ace sold me Satin Krylon Fusion for plastic/metal.

I am concerned that this may be a fire hazard.

By "reflector shield" you mean the inside of the can, correct?

No problemo painting it; after all, that's who it got the color it is.
(Probably baked on, but still paint.) Obviously, you're going to let the
paint dry first, right?

--
Any system of knowledge that is capable of listing films in order
of use of the word "****" is incapable of writing a good summary

- Matthew White, referring to Wikipedia on his WikiWatch site
(http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, it is the inside of the fixture. Yes, I would let it dry.
Just wondering if the paint will crack at some point, and then I would
really have a mess.

Thanks.

Kate wrote:

I have several recessed (canned lighting in my ceiling) light
fixtures in my family room. The interior of this fixture
(reflector shield) is black.

They are not your normal 6" fixture, but instead measure 8" which I
am finding is an odd size.

I would like to spray paint the reflector shields black.

Ace sold me Satin Krylon Fusion for plastic/metal.

I am concerned that this may be a fire hazard.

By "reflector shield" you mean the inside of the can, correct?

No problemo painting it; after all, that's who it got the color it is.
(Probably baked on, but still paint.) Obviously, you're going to let the
paint dry first, right?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kate" wrote in message
I have several recessed (canned lighting in my ceiling) light
fixtures in my family room. The interior of this fixture
(reflector shield) is black.

They are not your normal 6" fixture, but instead measure 8" which I am
finding is an odd size.

I would like to spray paint the reflector shields black.

Ace sold me Satin Krylon Fusion for plastic/metal.

I am concerned that this may be a fire hazard.

Can anyone advise me on this?

*It sounds as though you may have commercial cans instead of residential.
If you can find a manufacturer's name somewhere inside you might be able to
get replacement trims and reflectors. I suggest the use of a high heat
paint for the interior as it can get quite hot inside due to eat build-up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kate" wrote in message
I have several recessed (canned lighting in my ceiling) light
fixtures in my family room. The interior of this fixture
(reflector shield) is black.

They are not your normal 6" fixture, but instead measure 8" which I am
finding is an odd size.

I would like to spray paint the reflector shields black.

Ace sold me Satin Krylon Fusion for plastic/metal.

I am concerned that this may be a fire hazard.

Can anyone advise me on this?

Many thanks.

Kate

Many models of recessed trims made by Lightolier, Progress, Atlite, and some
others, have removable baffles that just snap out. This would make it very
easy to spray them. I've done this several times and had great success. I
agree with John Grabowski and would only use paint made for high
temperature. Depending upon the model of the fixture, and the type and
wattage of lamp installed, there is a potential for a concentration of heat
very close to the baffle

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 2 Mar 2009 06:15:09 -0500, "John Grabowski"
wrote:

"Kate" wrote in message
I have several recessed (canned lighting in my ceiling) light
fixtures in my family room. The interior of this fixture
(reflector shield) is black.

They are not your normal 6" fixture, but instead measure 8" which I am
finding is an odd size.

I would like to spray paint the reflector shields black.

Ace sold me Satin Krylon Fusion for plastic/metal.

I am concerned that this may be a fire hazard.

Can anyone advise me on this?

*It sounds as though you may have commercial cans instead of residential.
If you can find a manufacturer's name somewhere inside you might be able to
get replacement trims and reflectors. I suggest the use of a high heat
paint for the interior as it can get quite hot inside due to eat build-up.

BarBQ paint of high heat exhaust paint (header paint" from automotive
supplier would fill the fill.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:
I have several recessed (canned lighting in my ceiling) light
fixtures in my family room. The interior of this fixture
(reflector shield) is black.

They are not your normal 6" fixture, but instead measure 8" which I am
finding is an odd size.

I would like to spray paint the reflector shields black.

Ace sold me Satin Krylon Fusion for plastic/metal.

I am concerned that this may be a fire hazard.

Can anyone advise me on this?

Many thanks.

Kate

If you're worried about heat, you can call an
automobile parts supply house and ask if they
stock spray paint for exhaust manifolds. That
type of paint is meant to withstand high heat
and it comes in a wide variety of colors.

http://www.paintexhaustmanifold.com/

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:
I have several recessed (canned lighting in my ceiling) light
fixtures in my family room. The interior of this fixture
(reflector shield) is black.

They are not your normal 6" fixture, but instead measure 8" which I am
finding is an odd size.

I would like to spray paint the reflector shields black.

Ace sold me Satin Krylon Fusion for plastic/metal.

I am concerned that this may be a fire hazard.

Can anyone advise me on this?

Many thanks.

Kate

just use bbq paint, or high heat engine paint from the autoparts store.
The stuff you were sold, probably won't burn, but it may bubble up and
fall off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:

I have several recessed (canned lighting in my ceiling) light
fixtures in my family room. The interior of this fixture
(reflector shield) is black.

They are not your normal 6" fixture, but instead measure 8" which I am
finding is an odd size.

I would like to spray paint the reflector shields black.

Ace sold me Satin Krylon Fusion for plastic/metal.

I am concerned that this may be a fire hazard.

By "reflector shield" you mean the inside of the can, correct?

No problemo painting it; after all, that's who it got the color it is.
(Probably baked on, but still paint.)

Could be anodized aluminum.

OP, I wonder whether there's a good reason for the inside to be black,
that you may not have considered. Maybe stick a piece of (rolled) heavy
white paper up inside there to make sure you really like white.
Posted to alt.home.repair

As someone else suggested, let the paint dry overnight
before turning the bulb on. Should be fine.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Kate wrote:
I have several recessed (canned lighting in my ceiling)
light
fixtures in my family room. The interior of this fixture
(reflector shield) is black.

They are not your normal 6" fixture, but instead measure
8" which I am
finding is an odd size.

I would like to spray paint the reflector shields black.

Ace sold me Satin Krylon Fusion for plastic/metal.

I am concerned that this may be a fire hazard.

Can anyone advise me on this?

Many thanks.

Kate

Light fixture [email protected] Home Repair 10 September 18th 07 05:39 PM
Light Fixture newbee Home Repair 4 March 12th 07 10:13 PM
Light/Fan Fixture Brian Staff Home Repair 5 November 13th 06 12:22 PM
Light Fixture Corinne Home Repair 9 November 10th 05 05:02 AM
Light Fixture Will No barry martin Home Repair 3 February 23rd 04 10:17 PM