Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Light Fixture

In my new Town Home, the builder has provided a hanging light on the
side of the living room. I want to move this to the center of the
room and possibly put a new lighting unit.

How easy is it to move the existing fixture from the other part to the
center. The distance is about 4 feet (between the current fixture and
the center of the room).

Thanks

SR.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

You got a few variables involved: What's the ceiling made of? Is there attic
above it? Do you want to eliminate the current ceiling outlet?

"newbee" wrote in message
oups.com...
In my new Town Home, the builder has provided a hanging light on the
side of the living room. I want to move this to the center of the
room and possibly put a new lighting unit.

How easy is it to move the existing fixture from the other part to the
center. The distance is about 4 feet (between the current fixture and
the center of the room).

Thanks

SR.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 11, 10:32 pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
You got a few variables involved: What's the ceiling made of? Is there attic
above it? Do you want to eliminate the current ceiling outlet?

"newbee" wrote in message

oups.com...

In my new Town Home, the builder has provided a hanging light on the
side of the living room. I want to move this to the center of the
room and possibly put a new lighting unit.

How easy is it to move the existing fixture from the other part to the
center. The distance is about 4 feet (between the current fixture and
the center of the room).

Thanks

SR.

There is no attic on top. Its in the middle level with about 20"
joists, so I may have to cut a circular hole for the new fixture. I
want to reuse the existing switch/wiring of the other light fixture,
so, I can probably close it off after I move it to the center.

How easy or hard is it to accomplish this

Thanks

SR.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

If you have 20 inch joists, they must be trusses, this is good as it allows
you to snake cable in two directions. You can get a retrofit fan/chandelier
outlet box such as Westinghouse 1100 from electrical supply or HD. with this
box, you just cut a 4 inch round hole in the ceiling and the bar and box
goes up and expands to the joists, but before you install the box, shoot a
wire snake from a knock out of the existing lighting outlet to the new
location. Once you've installed the box and fixture, splice the cables
together in the existing box, and install a flush black plate like
"invisoplate" which is barley noticeable

"newbee" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 11, 10:32 pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
You got a few variables involved: What's the ceiling made of? Is there
attic
above it? Do you want to eliminate the current ceiling outlet?

"newbee" wrote in message

oups.com...

In my new Town Home, the builder has provided a hanging light on the
side of the living room. I want to move this to the center of the
room and possibly put a new lighting unit.

How easy is it to move the existing fixture from the other part to the
center. The distance is about 4 feet (between the current fixture and
the center of the room).

Thanks

SR.

There is no attic on top. Its in the middle level with about 20"
joists, so I may have to cut a circular hole for the new fixture. I
want to reuse the existing switch/wiring of the other light fixture,
so, I can probably close it off after I move it to the center.

How easy or hard is it to accomplish this

Thanks

SR.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Sorry, was in a hurry. you need to attach a cable of the same gauge as
existing, to the wire snake and pull it back into the existing outlet box
from the new location

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
If you have 20 inch joists, they must be trusses, this is good as it
allows you to snake cable in two directions. You can get a retrofit
fan/chandelier outlet box such as Westinghouse 1100 from electrical supply
or HD. with this box, you just cut a 4 inch round hole in the ceiling and
the bar and box goes up and expands to the joists, but before you install
the box, shoot a wire snake from a knock out of the existing lighting
outlet to the new location. Once you've installed the box and fixture,
splice the cables together in the existing box, and install a flush black
plate like "invisoplate" which is barley noticeable

"newbee" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 11, 10:32 pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
You got a few variables involved: What's the ceiling made of? Is there
attic
above it? Do you want to eliminate the current ceiling outlet?

"newbee" wrote in message

oups.com...

In my new Town Home, the builder has provided a hanging light on the
side of the living room. I want to move this to the center of the
room and possibly put a new lighting unit.

How easy is it to move the existing fixture from the other part to the
center. The distance is about 4 feet (between the current fixture and
the center of the room).

Thanks

SR.

There is no attic on top. Its in the middle level with about 20"
joists, so I may have to cut a circular hole for the new fixture. I
want to reuse the existing switch/wiring of the other light fixture,
so, I can probably close it off after I move it to the center.

How easy or hard is it to accomplish this

Thanks

SR.

Help with powerless light fixture.. farseer Home Repair 8 November 26th 06 01:17 PM
light fixture panel yaofeng Home Repair 3 June 13th 06 05:01 PM
Light Fixture Corinne Home Repair 9 November 10th 05 05:02 AM
Fluorescent fixture won't light Art Home Repair 2 September 11th 05 07:07 AM
Light Fixture Will No barry martin Home Repair 3 February 23rd 04 10:17 PM