Posted to alt.home.repair
yaofeng

Default light fixture panel

The tenants move out of the rental with the kitchen light fixture
missing the translucent lens panel. This is one of those four
fluorescent 4 feet long light fixture in a sheet metal frame using a
translucent panel. The pabel is four feet long and less than 2 feet
wide. I tried Home Depot. It has translucent panels only 2'x4'.
Anywhere else should I look? I am afraid the panel will crack if I cut
it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

You will have to cut it, they all come in 2X4. Depending on the panel you
can sometimes score it with a razor blade and snap it along the line.
Otherwise a jig saw would be best, a circular or table saw will turn it to
splinters unless you have a balde with many teeth. An ordinary hack saw
should work too but you will need to support the edge you want to keep
pretty well while you cut.

A smaller hardware store or plastics specialty store or glass company might
cut it for you. Also check lighting specialty stores. Expect to pay more
than HD.

"yaofeng" wrote in message
oups.com...
The tenants move out of the rental with the kitchen light fixture
missing the translucent lens panel. This is one of those four
fluorescent 4 feet long light fixture in a sheet metal frame using a
translucent panel. The pabel is four feet long and less than 2 feet
wide. I tried Home Depot. It has translucent panels only 2'x4'.
Anywhere else should I look? I am afraid the panel will crack if I cut
it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RayV

PipeDown wrote:
You will have to cut it, they all come in 2X4. Depending on the panel you
can sometimes score it with a razor blade and snap it along the line.
Otherwise a jig saw would be best, a circular or table saw will turn it to
splinters unless you have a balde with many teeth.

If you have a circular saw get a cheap plywood blade (lots of teeth
~150) and mount it backwards for cutting plastic.

Posted to alt.home.repair
yaofeng

PipeDown wrote:
You will have to cut it, they all come in 2X4. Depending on the panel you
can sometimes score it with a razor blade and snap it along the line.
Otherwise a jig saw would be best, a circular or table saw will turn it to
splinters unless you have a balde with many teeth. An ordinary hack saw
should work too but you will need to support the edge you want to keep
pretty well while you cut.

A smaller hardware store or plastics specialty store or glass company might
cut it for you. Also check lighting specialty stores. Expect to pay more
than HD.

Thanks. I scored it with a utilit knife and cut it. Ending up with a
small 1" long crack in the middle. I could have avoided it if I was
more careful.

oups.com...