Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Painting old silver plate

We have some old silverplated decorative birds on which the silver
plate is just shot. Not worth attempting to replate. However, we
could see painting them for occasional use.
My thought is to simply rough up the finish a bit and then spray paint
them the desired color. But, I thought I would ask if there is a
better approach to painting them, perhaps some particular undercoat,
specific paint?
TIA
starrin
Posted to alt.home.repair

I was going to suggest removing the silver plate, but as I read
about it there are toxic noxious chemicals involved. I don't
think I would sand the existing as it would expose new silver
surfaces that would need to oxidize again which would probably
ruin your paint idea. I think I would wash the objects in lacquer
thinner to remove any and all oils, etc. Use a can of Benjamin
Moore spray primer, it seems to bite better than some others.
After it is fully cured, rub the object hard with a soft rag to
see if the primer is well adhered. If it is, have at with
whatever paint.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"starrin" wrote in message
We have some old silverplated decorative birds on which the
silver
plate is just shot. Not worth attempting to replate. However,
we
could see painting them for occasional use.
My thought is to simply rough up the finish a bit and then spray
paint
them the desired color. But, I thought I would ask if there is
better approach to painting them, perhaps some particular
undercoat,
specific paint?
TIA
starrin

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

DanG wrote:
I was going to suggest removing the silver plate, but as I read
about it there are toxic noxious chemicals involved. I don't
think I would sand the existing as it would expose new silver
surfaces that would need to oxidize again which would probably
ruin your paint idea. I think I would wash the objects in lacquer
thinner to remove any and all oils, etc. Use a can of Benjamin
Moore spray primer, it seems to bite better than some others.
After it is fully cured, rub the object hard with a soft rag to
see if the primer is well adhered. If it is, have at with
whatever paint.

If the thing has any value at all as a collector's item or antique, any
of these actions will ensure it does no longer.

If it's just a trinket, then would really matter what one does.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 28, 9:47*am, starrin wrote:
We have some old silverplated decorative birds on which the silver
plate is just shot. *Not worth attempting to replate. *However, we
could see painting them for occasional use. *
My thought is to simply rough up the finish a bit and then spray paint
them the desired color. *But, I thought I would ask if there is a
better approach to painting them, perhaps some particular undercoat,
specific paint?
TIA
* *starrin

get a local antique store to bid of value before you do this, and tell
them you want to paint them. For all you know they are worth
10,000.00 If smooth metal clean with Laquer Thinner and use 400+g
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 28, 9:47*am, starrin wrote:
We have some old silverplated decorative birds on which the silver
plate is just shot. *Not worth attempting to replate. *However, we
could see painting them for occasional use. *
My thought is to simply rough up the finish a bit and then spray paint
them the desired color. *But, I thought I would ask if there is a
better approach to painting them, perhaps some particular undercoat,
specific paint?
TIA
* *starrin

Glass bead blasting would be a very good surface preparation for most
any kind of primer/paint combination. Auto machine shops commonly have
such equipment if you can't find a friend that has a blast box. Car
restoration hobbyists almost always have the tools or know someone who
does. Good luck.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 28, 11:51*am, Joe wrote:
[...]

Glass bead, I know you never saw thin metal antiqiues worth Tens of
thousands, blasting is out of the queston