Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Painting old silver plate

On Feb 28, 9:47*am, starrin wrote:
We have some old silverplated decorative birds on which the silver
plate is just shot. *Not worth attempting to replate. *However, we
could see painting them for occasional use. *
My thought is to simply rough up the finish a bit and then spray paint
them the desired color. *But, I thought I would ask if there is a
better approach to painting them, perhaps some particular undercoat,
specific paint?
TIA
* *starrin

Glass bead blasting would be a very good surface preparation for most
any kind of primer/paint combination. Auto machine shops commonly have
such equipment if you can't find a friend that has a blast box. Car
restoration hobbyists almost always have the tools or know someone who
does. Good luck.

Joe