Posted to alt.home.repair

Default potassium cost vs salt

went to pick up some potassium for the water softener and the price of
potassium jumped 100% from $10 to $20 per bag.
is it worth the extra cost? i know it's environmentally better but by how
much?

--
skeeter

Posted to alt.home.repair

"skeeter" wrote:

went to pick up some potassium for the water softener and the price of
potassium jumped 100% from $10 to $20 per bag.
is it worth the extra cost? i know it's environmentally better but by how
much?

Yep. Potassium is a major component of fertilizer and the Chinese have been
buying huge quantities in the past year or so. Has driven the price through the
roof.

Is it better? Potassium and sodium are are both naturally occuring elements and
both are so diluted as a part of the sewage treatment process that I doubt there
is any noticeable difference. Some people think potassium is easier on septic
systems. The EPA and several university studies suggest there is no difference.

Some people buy potassium for softeners in an attemp to reduce their overall
sodium intake. In most cases, softened water contains between 40-80mg of sodium
per litre. To put that in context, ask yourself how many litres of tap water you
drink a day and consider that a single slice of white bread contains between
150-200mg of sodium and a can of chicken noodle soup can conatin over 500mg of
sodium.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sodium/AN00317
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 11:54:08 -0500, "skeeter"
wrote Re potassium cost vs salt:

went to pick up some potassium for the water softener and the price of
potassium jumped 100% from $10 to $20 per bag.
is it worth the extra cost? i know it's environmentally better but by how
much?

Potassium is definitely better.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Caesar Romano" wrote in message

Potassium is definitely better.

What makes it better? The water is either going to be soft or not and
potassium costs more. What am I missing?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 26, 11:54*am, "skeeter" wrote:
went to pick up some potassium for the water softener and the price of
potassium jumped 100% from $10 to $20 per bag.
is it worth the extra cost? i know it's environmentally better but by how
much?

--
skeeter

If I remember this correctly, the price of potassium has more to do
with the fact that there are very limited number of suppliers than the
demand from China or India. With major suppliers merged together
(last year?) or something like that, this creates a semi-monoply
situation. There was also having to do with a very speculative market
last year with too much money chasing after the commodity market. Now
that the price of all the commodities have dropped to a more
reasonable level, I have a feeling that the price of potassium should
come down too, right? May be your supplier is still sitting on some
old stocks that he ordered last year at the peak of the market.

Jay Chan

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jay Chan wrote:

If I remember this correctly, the price of potassium has more to do
with the fact that there are very limited number of suppliers than the
demand from China or India.

It looks to be a combination of both:

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Worsen...8.-a0177362582

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert Neville" wrote in message
"skeeter" wrote:

[...]

very good article. thanks.

--
skeeter

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Neville wrote:
"skeeter" wrote:

[...]

Sodium aggravates hypertension - but does not CAUSE it. Six percent of the
population has hypertension and about half of those have the type that is
exacerbated by sodium. So, then, for 97% of the population, salt has NO
effect on blood pressure.

Controlled studies have been done where subjects have been given up to 25
grams of salt per day over prolonged periods. As best researchers can tell,
their bodies simply excreted that which was not necessary.

The most recent study was completed last year by the Department of Defense
and is found in a report titled: "Excess Salt as an Interrogation
Technique," Physiological Measurement Study Group, Camp Delta, Guantanamo
Bay, Cuba.

Posted to alt.home.repair

skeeter wrote:
went to pick up some potassium for the water softener and the price of
potassium jumped 100% from $10 to $20 per bag.
is it worth the extra cost? i know it's environmentally better but by
how much?

Hi,
I tried Potassium and it did not do as good as salt.

Posted to alt.home.repair

LouB wrote:
Robert Neville wrote:
"skeeter" wrote:

[...]

In our area, house is plumbed in such a way that drinking tap in the
kitchen is not hooked into softener. Any how I have 6 stage
under-the-sink filtering set up which gives drinking/cooking water.
Softener is for bathing and washing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Robert Neville wrote:
"skeeter" wrote:

[...]

Hmmm,
Even if for a person who has a compromised kidney function?
I had a kidney x-plant 16 years ago, sodium is big no, no.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:

I tried Potassium and it did not do as good as salt.

That was my experience as well. I had to recharge far more often than when I
used potassium chloride.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:

Sodium aggravates hypertension - but does not CAUSE it. Six percent
of the population has hypertension and about half of those have the
type that is exacerbated by sodium. So, then, for 97% of the
population, salt has NO effect on blood pressure.

Controlled studies have been done where subjects have been given up
to 25 grams of salt per day over prolonged periods. As best
researchers can tell, their bodies simply excreted that which was
not necessary. The most recent study was completed last year by the
Department of
Defense and is found in a report titled: "Excess Salt as an
Interrogation Technique," Physiological Measurement Study Group,
Camp Delta, Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

Hmmm,
Even if for a person who has a compromised kidney function?
I had a kidney x-plant 16 years ago, sodium is big no, no.

Good point. I'm sure there's the occasional odd situation such as yours.
Heck, there might even be one or two who are allergic to salt!

On the other hand, maybe you just got a sub-standard kidney... Didn't come
from Walmart, did it?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

"HeyBub" wrote in
m:

Hmmm,
Even if for a person who has a compromised kidney function?
I had a kidney x-plant 16 years ago, sodium is big no, no.

Good point. I'm sure there's the occasional odd situation such as
yours. Heck, there might even be one or two who are allergic to salt!

On the other hand, maybe you just got a sub-standard kidney... Didn't
come from Walmart, did it?

That's not funny.

However, everyone needs some sodium in the diet. It is the overload that
can be damaging if kidney function is compromised. Allso, I don't think
you can be "allergic" in the official sense of the word to sodium or
potassium chloride.

Have you heard of thew guy who was suing his wife as part of the divorce
for his kidney back (he had donated his kidney to his wife) or $1.5
million? Judge threw it out as the kidney not being "marital" property.

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

went to pick up some potassium for the water softener and the price of
potassium jumped 100% from $10 to $20 per bag.
is it worth the extra cost? i know it's environmentally better but by how
much?

Potassium ions are a little more reactive than sodium. Both have very
similar properties. You could use more sodium salt and probably get
the same results. I'd switch to sodium when potassium jumps 100%,
but only if approved by the water softener manufacturer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

went to pick up some potassium for the water softener and the price of
potassium jumped 100% from $10 to $20 per bag.
is it worth the extra cost? i know it's environmentally better but by how
much?

Potassium ions are a little more reactive than sodium.

You have that backwards.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 10:07:00 -0600, "HeyBub"

wrote:

went to pick up some potassium for the water softener and the price
of potassium jumped 100% from $10 to $20 per bag.
is it worth the extra cost? i know it's environmentally better but
by how much?

I don't know the answer to your question, but recent studies
have found the eating bananas at least partly offsets using too much
salt on your food.

But you may just be trading one problem for another!

People who ate bananas before 1910 are today either dead or have white hair
and no teeth. Laboratory rats force-fed five pounds of bananas a day
developed distended bellies and became lethargic.

So that is my problem. I just thought I was getting old.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Tony Hwang wrote:
[...]

Genetics. Knowing it way ahead of time it lasted 10 year longer than
expected according to doctor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Han wrote:
[...]

Yep, that guy was a doctor. She was having an affair after she got well
with new kidny. I am reading a book "Timbuktu" and in the book they talk
about native AQfrican salt miners. They live in a house built with salt
slabs, drink salty water the whole area is soaked with salt. When they
come to town they drink clean water and for few days they get very sick
and when they go back to mine, drink salty water and vice versa but I
don't know how long they live on the average. From every day food we
eat, we get enough sodium we need and maybe more.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Tony Hwang wrote:

Bananas is rich in Potassium. For people who has BP problem, eating one
a day is good.

Not so fast there -- whether it's good or not depends on what medication is
used to treat the hypertension. Some antihypertensives act by selectively
excreting sodium and retaining potassium -- and the package inserts
specifically warn against consuming a diet high in potassium. Big bold letters
"do not use potassium-based salt substitutes" etc. etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote:

In article , Phisherman wrote:
On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 14:53:38 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , Phisherman

wrote:

went to pick up some potassium for the water softener and the price of
potassium jumped 100% from $10 to $20 per bag.
is it worth the extra cost? i know it's environmentally better but by how
much?

Potassium ions are a little more reactive than sodium.

You have that backwards.

Check out a Periodic Table. Elements are more reactive as you move
DOWN the periodic group. High school chemistry.

You have that backwards too. They're more reactive as you move UP: the most
reactive elements that exist are fluorine and lithium. They're at the top.
High school chemistry.

Not true.

Chemical reactivity depends on whether the particular Periodic Table
"Group"(determined by the number of valence electrons) to which the
element belongs GIVES UP electrons (e.g., Group I consisting of Lithium,
Sodium, Potassium, etc.) or CAPTURES electrons (e.g., Group VII
consisting of Fluorine, Chlorine, Bromine, etc.).

The "gives up electrons" groups (prime being Group I) are MORE
chemically reactive as you go DOWN the chart -- easier to give up
electrons as the orbitals grow more distant from the nucleus. So, in
Group I, Potassium is MORE chemically reactive than Sodium which is MORE
chemically reactive than Lithium.

The "captures electrons" groups (prime being Group VII) are LESS
chemically reactive as you go DOWN the chart -- harder to capture
electrons in orbitals more distant from the nucleus. So, in Group VII,
Flourine is more chemically reactive than Chlorine which is more
chemically reactive than Bromine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 14:25:00 -0500, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

wrote in message

I don't know the answer to your question, but recent studies
have found the eating bananas at least partly offsets using too much
salt on your food.

I saw a movie once that had a banana in it. I've never looked at one the
same way after than.

I guess I don't want to know what kind of movies you watch :-)