Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Watts Pressure Reducer For House Water: One Screw Turn = psi ?

Hello,

Have the typical Watts Pressure reducing valve on the incoming line for my
house water.

It's hard to read the label, but I think it is a model USB Z3
Range is given as 25-75 psi

Town says the incoming line pressure is about 70 psi.
Reducer was set at the factory for an outlet p of 50 psi.

Looked on the Watts site but they seem to have every spec but this one.

Anyone know the scale factor for how much the outlet pressure would be
increased
for, e.g., 1 full turn of the adj. screw ?

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert11 wrote:
Hello,

Have the typical Watts Pressure reducing valve on the incoming line for my
house water.

It's hard to read the label, but I think it is a model USB Z3
Range is given as 25-75 psi

Town says the incoming line pressure is about 70 psi.
Reducer was set at the factory for an outlet p of 50 psi.

Looked on the Watts site but they seem to have every spec but this one.

Anyone know the scale factor for how much the outlet pressure would be
increased
for, e.g., 1 full turn of the adj. screw ?

Thanks,
Bob

Don't know much about them but I think it would depend on the input
pressure. I wouldn't even expect one unit to be exactly the same as the
next. I wouldn't even expect to get the same reading 2x on the same unit...
Buy a pressure gauge 10$ US. They normally have hose connection so you
can connect to your washer connection or an outside hose bib. You can
put the gauge on the end of a garden hose and bring the gauge near the
PR valve.

Kevin
Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert11 wrote:
Hello,

Have the typical Watts Pressure reducing valve on the incoming line for my
house water.

It's hard to read the label, but I think it is a model USB Z3
Range is given as 25-75 psi

Town says the incoming line pressure is about 70 psi.
Reducer was set at the factory for an outlet p of 50 psi.

Looked on the Watts site but they seem to have every spec but this one.

Anyone know the scale factor for how much the outlet pressure would be
increased
for, e.g., 1 full turn of the adj. screw ?

Thanks,
Bob

A gage is the only real way to tell. Not sure why corners are cut when
installing regulators. All it takes is to sweat in a tee and attach a gage.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert11 wrote:
Hello,

Have the typical Watts Pressure reducing valve on the incoming line for my
house water.

It's hard to read the label, but I think it is a model USB Z3
Range is given as 25-75 psi

Town says the incoming line pressure is about 70 psi.
Reducer was set at the factory for an outlet p of 50 psi.

Looked on the Watts site but they seem to have every spec but this one.

Anyone know the scale factor for how much the outlet pressure would be
increased
for, e.g., 1 full turn of the adj. screw ?

Thanks,
Bob

there's no set amount for each turn. Also, if the line is only 70 psi,
why have a regulator?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 21, 7:28*am, "Robert11" wrote:
Hello,

Have the typical Watts Pressure reducing valve on the incoming line for my
house water.

It's hard to read the label, but I think it is a model USB Z3
Range is given as 25-75 psi

Town says the incoming line pressure is about 70 psi.
Reducer was set at the factory for an outlet p of 50 psi.

Looked on the Watts site but they seem to have every spec but this one.

Anyone know the scale factor for how much the outlet pressure would be
increased
for, e.g., 1 full turn of the adj. screw ?

Thanks,
Bob

I'm with Steve on this one. Why would you have a regulator when you
have 70 psi from the street. Does it fluctuate to say 100 psi at
times?

How low to you really want to set it?

JK
Posted to alt.home.repair

Big_Jake wrote:
On Feb 21, 7:28 am, "Robert11" wrote:
Hello,

Have the typical Watts Pressure reducing valve on the incoming line for my
house water.

It's hard to read the label, but I think it is a model USB Z3
Range is given as 25-75 psi

Town says the incoming line pressure is about 70 psi.
Reducer was set at the factory for an outlet p of 50 psi.

Looked on the Watts site but they seem to have every spec but this one.

Anyone know the scale factor for how much the outlet pressure would be
increased
for, e.g., 1 full turn of the adj. screw ?

Thanks,
Bob

I'm with Steve on this one. Why would you have a regulator when you
have 70 psi from the street. Does it fluctuate to say 100 psi at
times?

But he doesn't know what he has at the street. Someone just threw a
nominal number at him. Even if it actually is 70 PSI that is still on
the high side. I have ours set at 50 PSI and I can't remember the last
time I needed to repair anything. Also system water pressure is quite
dynamic. I have gauges on both the incoming and outgoing sides of the
regulator. There are a number of occasions where I happened to take a
quick look and the street side was at 120 PSI.

How low to you really want to set it?

JK

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 22, 6:17*am, George wrote:
Big_Jake wrote:
[...]

He said the town told him 70 psi. Ours is 90 psi from the street,
and, in 5 years we have never had anything fail from the high
pressure. The water main in the street has failed 3-4 times,
though. :-)

JK
Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:
Big_Jake wrote:
[...]

I replaced a failed one inch regulator at a service
station one time because all the Sloan flush valves
in the restrooms were blowing out and the washers in
the sinks were also failing. The static pressure was
190 psi with spikes going off scale. The unregulated
outdoor water hose would knock you down, it was bad
news. You could run tramps off with it.

TDD