Posted to alt.home.repair

Default why leave a tap on? When you turn the water off to the house

Why do plumbers leave a tap on with a trickle of water when they turn
off the water to the house? Is it safe not to do that and leave the
water turned off all night? I am tired and want to sleep and the
basement is a horror story. I'd rather leave the water off and keep
working in the morning? The dripping open tap noise will drive me nuts
if I leave it all night. and I am not sure I got the temporary shut off
valves tight enough not to blow off under full pressure.

Anyone know?

I had no idea getting old galvanized pipe to unscrew was so hard, after
hours of wd 40, heat and hammer I finally got one loose enough that I
could cut everything off above it. Only two more to go.

My daughter came over and started laughing. She said even when she
tells people about her mother no one believes her. There I was on
Sunday with guests just left and I thought "I'll just try that beep
beep pipe one more time" so I was down the hole in the floor in linen
and silk hammering away when she arrived.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 9 Jul 2006 22:28:54 -0700, "Mulan" wrote:

Why do plumbers leave a tap on with a trickle of water when they turn
off the water to the house? Is it safe not to do that and leave the
water turned off all night?

It depends.

I am tired and want to sleep and the
basement is a horror story. I'd rather leave the water off and keep
working in the morning? The dripping open tap noise will drive me nuts

I hope you're asleep by now, but if not, put a piece of cloth under
the drip. If that is not enough, rubber band a piece of cloth to the
faucet so the drip runs down the cloth to the sink.

if I leave it all night. and I am not sure I got the temporary shut off
valves tight enough not to blow off under full pressure.

???

Anyone know?

I had no idea getting old galvanized pipe to unscrew was so hard, after
hours of wd 40, heat and hammer I finally got one loose enough that I
could cut everything off above it. Only two more to go.

My daughter came over and started laughing. She said even when she
tells people about her mother no one believes her. There I was on
Sunday with guests just left and I thought "I'll just try that beep
beep pipe one more time" so I was down the hole in the floor in linen
and silk hammering away when she arrived.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 9 Jul 2006 22:28:54 -0700, "Mulan" wrote:

Why do plumbers leave a tap on with a trickle of water when they turn
off the water to the house? Is it safe not to do that and leave the
water turned off all night?

Maybe I should have said that if your main water vavle is turned off
and yet water is coming out of that faucet, it's clear that your valve
is not enough. If you close the tap that is now open, the water will
come out whatever holes you have where you have been working. And I
presume there is no sink under those places.

I am tired and want to sleep and the
basement is a horror story. I'd rather leave the water off and keep
working in the morning? The dripping open tap noise will drive me nuts
if I leave it all night. and I am not sure I got the temporary shut off
valves tight enough not to blow off under full pressure.

Anyone know?

I had no idea getting old galvanized pipe to unscrew was so hard, after
hours of wd 40, heat and hammer I finally got one loose enough that I
could cut everything off above it. Only two more to go.

My daughter came over and started laughing. She said even when she
tells people about her mother no one believes her. There I was on
Sunday with guests just left and I thought "I'll just try that beep
beep pipe one more time" so I was down the hole in the floor in linen
and silk hammering away when she arrived.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mulan" wrote:

Why do plumbers leave a tap on with a trickle of water when they turn
off the water to the house?

If the plumber is going to work on the pipes, it is to let air into the
pipes so they will drain.

--
Silly sig to prevent isp ad
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mulan" wrote in message
ups.com...
Why do plumbers leave a tap on with a trickle of water when they turn
off the water to the house?

I don't know why plumbers do that, but I did just the same thing myself
because the shutoff valve does not shut off the water completely. So I open
the lowest faucet (closest to the ground) I can find so that water would
come out of that faucet instead of the one I'm working on.

Then when I'm ready to test my new plumbing addition, I turn off that faucet
but leave the house shutoff valve untouched. This would still stress the
plumbing system, and if there is a leak, only a little water would come out.
If there is no leak, then I turn on the shutoff valve.

AquaTherm Furnace - No Hot Water Issue David Home Repair 11 January 25th 18 09:44 PM
need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 02:15 AM
NO MORE hot water problems [email protected] Home Repair 9 January 29th 04 07:15 PM
Thankless or Tankless hot water heaters [email protected] Home Repair 6 January 29th 04 04:01 AM
hot water recirculator, instant hot water but not a water heating unit, saves water, gas, time, money HeatMan Home Repair 0 August 24th 03 01:26 PM