Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need electrical advice

Asking for help.
Have a General 350 table saw not currently hooked up.
Will be moving it to a barn/workshop.
Motor specs a 3 HP, 220 V, 1 Ph., 11.7 A
Will 10/3 w/ground and a 30 A 220 breaker satisfy the load requirement?
Thanks for any help.
Dick in Texas

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 13, 5:57*pm, "Dick Keats" wrote:
Asking for help.
Have a General 350 table saw not currently hooked up.
Will be moving it to a barn/workshop.
Motor specs a 3 HP, 220 V, 1 Ph., 11.7 A
Will 10/3 w/ground and a 30 A 220 breaker satisfy the load requirement?
Thanks for any help.
Dick in Texas

That's really too much breaker for the saw. A 15A (double) breaker
ought to work just fine. Likewise, the wire can be 14/3 if the saw is
the only load. Use 20A and 12/3 if other items will be on the circuit
at the same time (dust collector, for example).

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dick Keats" wrote in message
Asking for help.
Have a General 350 table saw not currently hooked up.
Will be moving it to a barn/workshop.
Motor specs a 3 HP, 220 V, 1 Ph., 11.7 A
Will 10/3 w/ground and a 30 A 220 breaker satisfy the load requirement?
Thanks for any help.
Dick in Texas

Yes, but its overkill. You only need two conductors and ground, and 20 amp
double pole breaker is more than sufficient

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 13, 6:57*pm, "Dick Keats" wrote:
Asking for help.
Have a General 350 table saw not currently hooked up.
Will be moving it to a barn/workshop.
Motor specs a 3 HP, 220 V, 1 Ph., 11.7 A
Will 10/3 w/ground and a 30 A 220 breaker satisfy the load requirement?
Thanks for any help.
Dick in Texas

Dick

No one can answer your question without knowing if you are referring
to the branch circuit in the barn/workshop and or the feeder to the
barn/workshop. We would also need the number of wire feet in each
circuit.

--
Tom Horne
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dick Keats wrote:
Asking for help.
Have a General 350 table saw not currently hooked up.
Will be moving it to a barn/workshop.
Motor specs a 3 HP, 220 V, 1 Ph., 11.7 A
Will 10/3 w/ground and a 30 A 220 breaker satisfy the load requirement?
Thanks for any help.
Dick in Texas

Actually 12/2 w/ground would do on a 20A DP breaker. No need for the
neutral on that saw.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/13/2009 4:10 PM Joe spake thus:

On Feb 13, 5:57 pm, "Dick Keats" wrote:

Have a General 350 table saw not currently hooked up.
Will be moving it to a barn/workshop.
Motor specs a 3 HP, 220 V, 1 Ph., 11.7 A
Will 10/3 w/ground and a 30 A 220 breaker satisfy the load requirement?
Thanks for any help.

That's really too much breaker for the saw. A 15A (double) breaker
ought to work just fine. Likewise, the wire can be 14/3 if the saw is
the only load. Use 20A and 12/3 if other items will be on the circuit
at the same time (dust collector, for example).

True. However, 10 ga. wire won't hurt; it'll make sure there's less
voltage drop, with the saw less likely to bog down on heavy cuts. If you
don't mind the little extra $$, use #10. (No need for the neutral, as
someone else pointed out, so you can use 10/2.)

--
Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won't use it. I like it
upgrades. As long as there is hardware and software out there that

- lifted from sci.electronics.repair
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2009-02-14, Joe wrote:

On Feb 13, 5:57Â*pm, "Dick Keats" wrote:

Have a General 350 table saw not currently hooked up.
Will be moving it to a barn/workshop.
Motor specs a 3 HP, 220 V, 1 Ph., 11.7 A
Will 10/3 w/ground and a 30 A 220 breaker satisfy the load requirement?

That's really too much breaker for the saw. A 15A (double) breaker
ought to work just fine. Likewise, the wire can be 14/3 if the saw is
the only load. Use 20A and 12/3 if other items will be on the circuit
at the same time (dust collector, for example).

Actually, 14 gauge wire is too small. Motor circuits are sized
differently than normal circuits, see article 430 of the NEC for
details. Briefly:

The requisite branch circuit ampacity is 125% of the tabular current
value determined from the motor HP and voltage--you don't use the name
plate current. That tabular value is 17 amps for 3HP 240V, and 125%
of that is 21.25 amps. That means at least a #12 Cu branch circuit,
which has an ampacity of 25 amps. Note that the small conductor
ampacity limits of 240.4(D) [#14 = 15A, #12 = 20A, #10 = 30A] do not
apply to motor circuits.

If the branch circuit is protected by an inverse time breaker (the
usual thermal/magnetic breaker), it can be sized up to 250% of the
tabular current value. The oversizing is allowed because (1) the
motor must have its own overload protection, e.g. an integral thermal
protector, so the breaker is only protecting the branch circuit from
short-circuits and ground-faults, not overloads and (2) the motor
starting current will be much higher than the full load current, so an
increased size is needed to avoid nuisance trips.

For this motor, 250% of the tabular value of 17A is 42.5A. This can
be rounded up to the next "standard" size of 45A (which may not be
commonly available), so you can use a 45A breaker to protect your #12
Cu conductors. But I'd probably start with a 30A breaker to be
conservative, and only use a larger breaker if there are nuisance
trips on starting.

Yours, Wayne

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tom Horne" wrote in message
On Feb 13, 6:57 pm, "Dick Keats" wrote:
Asking for help.
Have a General 350 table saw not currently hooked up.
Will be moving it to a barn/workshop.
Motor specs a 3 HP, 220 V, 1 Ph., 11.7 A
Will 10/3 w/ground and a 30 A 220 breaker satisfy the load requirement?
Thanks for any help.
Dick in Texas

Dick

No one can answer your question without knowing if you are referring
to the branch circuit in the barn/workshop and or the feeder to the
barn/workshop. We would also need the number of wire feet in each
circuit.

--
Tom Horne

Tom

I think the following will describe my situation:
Power underground from pole to meter on house (320 A service).
From circuit box at house through garage to barn on a 100 A breaker.
Garage is separate from house. Distance from meter to barn is about 70-80
feet.
Someone who knows this stuff will be wiring that part but, to conserve a
few $ I'm going to pull the wires inside the buildings from the breaker
boxes.
I'd like to do it right and safe.
There will also be a 2 HP dust collector involved but I have a gizmo that
starts
the collector automatically a couple seconds after the saw starts running.
I apologize for perhaps not using correct terminology.
Thanks for your input.
Dick

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Dick Keats wrote:
"Tom Horne" wrote in message
On Feb 13, 6:57 pm, "Dick Keats" wrote:
Asking for help.
Have a General 350 table saw not currently hooked up.
Will be moving it to a barn/workshop.
Motor specs a 3 HP, 220 V, 1 Ph., 11.7 A
Will 10/3 w/ground and a 30 A 220 breaker satisfy the load requirement?
Thanks for any help.
Dick in Texas

Dick

No one can answer your question without knowing if you are referring
to the branch circuit in the barn/workshop and or the feeder to the
barn/workshop. We would also need the number of wire feet in each
circuit.

--
Tom Horne

Tom

I think the following will describe my situation:
Power underground from pole to meter on house (320 A service).
From circuit box at house through garage to barn on a 100 A breaker.
Garage is separate from house. Distance from meter to barn is about 70-80
feet.
Someone who knows this stuff will be wiring that part but, to conserve a
few $ I'm going to pull the wires inside the buildings from the breaker
boxes.
I'd like to do it right and safe.
There will also be a 2 HP dust collector involved but I have a gizmo that
starts
the collector automatically a couple seconds after the saw starts running.
I apologize for perhaps not using correct terminology.
Thanks for your input.

If you're contemplating more than just the saw in the future on the
circuit I'd go w/ the 10/2 (as somebody else noted, for a 2-pole
standard 220V outlet you don't need the neutral; that's needed only for
dual-voltage stuff like ranges and clothes driers, etc.) although 12/2
would be plenty for the saw alone.

Also, the comment someone made about the breaker being too large for the
saw--the breaker is there to protect the wiring, not the load and 30A is
fine. A 15A would likely cause some nuisance trips. There will be
overload protection at the motor itself for the purpose of protecting
it; that's not the function of the circuit panel breaker.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 13, 7:18*pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:

snip

(No need for the neutral, as
someone else pointed out, so you can use 10/2.)

snip

Always mark the white neutral wire with black tape or recommended
marker to be code compliant when used as a hot wire.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 17:18:25 -0800, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

On 2/13/2009 4:10 PM Joe spake thus:

On Feb 13, 5:57 pm, "Dick Keats" wrote:

Have a General 350 table saw not currently hooked up.
Will be moving it to a barn/workshop.
Motor specs a 3 HP, 220 V, 1 Ph., 11.7 A
Will 10/3 w/ground and a 30 A 220 breaker satisfy the load requirement?
Thanks for any help.

That's really too much breaker for the saw. A 15A (double) breaker
ought to work just fine. Likewise, the wire can be 14/3 if the saw is
the only load. Use 20A and 12/3 if other items will be on the circuit
at the same time (dust collector, for example).

True. However, 10 ga. wire won't hurt; it'll make sure there's less
voltage drop, with the saw less likely to bog down on heavy cuts. If you
don't mind the little extra $$, use #10. (No need for the neutral, as
someone else pointed out, so you can use 10/2.)

I used a #10 wire for a 220v circuit installation, not that it needed
it, but more that's what I had available at the time. I run a 3HP
saw, 1.5 HP DC, 4HP lift, possibly all three running at the same time.
Working with #12 is certainly easier than #10, glad there were only 5
outlets to fuss with. I guess a more interesting question is what is
the maximum distance using 10/3 wire with a 3HP load? BTW, nice table
saw choice.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2009-02-14, Phisherman wrote:

I used a #10 wire for a 220v circuit installation, not that it
needed it, but more that's what I had available at the time. I run
a 3HP saw, 1.5 HP DC, 4HP lift, possibly all three running at the
same time.

These are all 220V motor loads? I assume you mean that each one has
its own circuit wired with #10 copper. If they are all on one circuit,
it should be #6 copper, as the required ampacity is 55 amps.

Cheers, Wayne
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You bet! It's a great saw. I bought it about 15 years ago. Table extends
over 5' to the right of the blade.
Using a Paralok fence that operates like a drafting table. Sets up super
accurate.
Unfortunately Paralok is out of business.
Dick

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

THEM AND A WHOLE LOT MORE WILL BE BEFORE OBAMMY IS DONE.

electrical advice wanted--110 vs 220 Old Guy Woodworking 18 December 14th 08 10:33 AM
Electrical Panel Advice [email protected] Woodworking 9 May 16th 07 10:40 PM
Electrical advice. Arthur UK diy 8 June 21st 05 07:02 PM
Get Good Electrical Advice Mr Fixit eh Woodworking 3 May 17th 05 10:03 PM
Electrical Advice Please Philip UK diy 12 January 16th 04 10:03 PM