Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Default Bathtub question

Hello All:

I want to remove the knob that moves my pop-up plug for the drain up
and down.

I tried to pull this knob but it is not moving. I looked around for a
set screw. There is none.

I have photos of the knob at:

http://cid-eb85de77506ba8ba.skydrive...Y9O!9fLQTTI%24

Is there any trick to removing this type of knob?

I need to remove it to open the clogged drain.

Thanks!

Deguza
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

http://cid-eb85de77506ba8ba.skydrive...px/BathTub?aut...

Is there any trick to removing this type of knob?

I need to remove it to open the clogged drain.

Thanks!

Deguza

If your referring to the sink pop up in bathroom, go below the sink
and where the rod is connected to the sink..there is a clip that holds
them together...slide that clip outward and that should free the
connection and you should be able to remove it. BTW, maybe this is
intentional, but your link goes straight to Windows live.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Feb 5, 1:29*am, Kompu Kid wrote:
Hello All:

I want to remove the knob that moves my pop-up plug for the drain up
and down.

I tried to pull this knob but it is not moving. *I looked around for a
set screw. There is none.

I have photos of the knob at:

http://cid-eb85de77506ba8ba.skydrive...px/BathTub?aut...

Is there any trick to removing this type of knob?

I need to remove it to open the clogged drain.

Thanks!

Deguza

Sorry, i read your post again...you did say 'bathtub'...I got confused
with the pop-up of the sink in bathrooms. Why ask in this frugal
forum..you would be better off in so many of those "How do I..."
forums which can be found by googling it? I still say that link of
yours takes me directly to windows live...go figure.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Most likely, you have to take off the part that is attached to the vertical
surface of the tub first. After you take that off, the knob you are
referring to will probably have a cotter pin or similar connection in the
back. The knob is connected to a metal wire/rod that drops down behind the
tub and that is connected to a brass plunger/stopper at the end. The
plunger/stopper is what stops the water from draining out when it is in the
right position. The whole setup comes up and out of the tub through the
hole that is in the vertical wall of the tub behind the piece that covers
the whole.

Usually, there are two screws in the piece that attaches to the vertical
wall of the tub. Yours looks different, so there may be a little cap/cover
over where the connecting screws are, or maybe there is some other way that
the piece is connected.

If you can see a brand name printed on that fixture, maybe you can go to
their website or do an Internet search to see how it disconnects.

Kompu Kid wrote:
Hello All:

I want to remove the knob that moves my pop-up plug for the drain up
and down.

I tried to pull this knob but it is not moving. I looked around for a
set screw. There is none.

I have photos of the knob at:

http://cid-eb85de77506ba8ba.skydrive...Y9O!9fLQTTI%24

Is there any trick to removing this type of knob?

I need to remove it to open the clogged drain.

Thanks!

Deguza

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

"noel888" wrote in message
On Feb 5, 1:29 am, Kompu Kid wrote:
Hello All:

I want to remove the knob that moves my pop-up plug for the drain up
and down.

I tried to pull this knob but it is not moving. I looked around for a
set screw. There is none.

I have photos of the knob at:

http://cid-eb85de77506ba8ba.skydrive...px/BathTub?aut...

Is there any trick to removing this type of knob?

I need to remove it to open the clogged drain.

Thanks!

Deguza

Sorry, i read your post again...you did say 'bathtub'...I got confused
with the pop-up of the sink in bathrooms. Why ask in this frugal
forum..you would be better off in so many of those "How do I..."
forums which can be found by googling it? I still say that link of
yours takes me directly to windows live...go figure.

Nothing wrong with his link...Must be something on your end...Do you know
what brand it is??? Hard to give info without that..Also you can check the
manufacturers website if you know what brand it is....

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Feb 5, 12:45*pm, "benick" wrote:
"noel888" wrote in message

[...]

manufacturers website if you know what brand it is....- Hide quoted text -

Nothing wrong with his link...Must be something on your end

What ever is wrong on his end is wrong on my end too.

Link goes to a Windows Live page entitled Bath Tub and shows 2
"images" that contain the dreaded red X.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Feb 5, 12:32*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Feb 5, 12:45*pm, "benick" wrote:

"noel888" wrote in message

[...]

I am sorry that the link is not working. I checked it from my end
without signing on to hotmail. It seems to be there.

What the pictures depict is a somewhat rounded triangular knob. There
are no external fasteners (i.e. no screws, pins, etc). I am afraid to
pull this too hard, in case there is a different way of removing it.

I wish we could post photos on usenet along with our text...

Deguza
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Unfortunately there are no manufacturer's name or insignia.

I am afraid to pull the metallic part too hard in case it is attached
a different way. (I turned it counterclockwise to see if it is screwed
on, but that did not help either.)

What I am looking for is somebody who has seen and had first hand
experience with this exact knob to tell me how to remove it.

Once it is removed, it is got to be the way you described.

Anybody out in the Cyber world that has dealt with this type of knob?

Thanks anyway.

Deguza

Kompu Kid wrote:
Hello All:

I want to remove the knob that moves my pop-up plug for the drain up
and down.

I tried to pull this knob but it is not moving. *I looked around for a
set screw. There is none.

I have photos of the knob at:

http://cid-eb85de77506ba8ba.skydrive...px/BathTub?aut...

Is there any trick to removing this type of knob?

I need to remove it to open the clogged drain.

Thanks!

Deguza

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Your link worked for me. For those for whom the link did not work, maybe
they could do a copy and paste of the link text into the address bar and try
it that way.

Due to the reflections in the pictures, I misunderstood what I was seeing in
the pictures. Since you said your "turn" the knob to operate the drain, I
took another look. In the photo view from the bottom, it looks like maybe
there is a little round inset-type cap on the side of the fixture. If so,
maybe you could use a pointed kitchen steak knife to pry/pop the cap out,
then see if there is a set screw in there. Since you turn the knob for it
to work, my guess is that there is a set screw that holds the knob to the
shaft inside that has to be turned.

Kompu Kid wrote:
Hello All:

I want to remove the knob that moves my pop-up plug for the drain up
and down.

I tried to pull this knob but it is not moving. I looked around for
a set screw. There is none.

I have photos of the knob at:

http://cid-eb85de77506ba8ba.skydrive...px/BathTub?aut...

Is there any trick to removing this type of knob?

I need to remove it to open the clogged drain.

Thanks!

Deguza

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Art Art is offline

Kompu Kid wrote:
Hello All:

I want to remove the knob that moves my pop-up plug for the drain up
and down.

I tried to pull this knob but it is not moving. I looked around for a
set screw. There is none.

I have photos of the knob at:

http://cid-eb85de77506ba8ba.skydrive...Y9O!9fLQTTI%24

Is there any trick to removing this type of knob?

I need to remove it to open the clogged drain.

Thanks!

Deguza

This looks just like one I encountered at my parents house about a year
ago. You need to go to the back of the tub. Likely the knob is pressed
onto a shaft that goes into the vertical drain. That shaft will have a
nut on it. Remove the drain pipe and or nut and it will all come apart.
I recall it was a bitch to reassemble.

--
Art
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

i have no idea bout it

xoxo,
aineecumi

neway, my secret to release tension is playing this game a
href=http://www.gamestotal.com http://www.gamestotal.com /a a
href=http://uc.gamestotal.com http://uc.gamestotal.com /a a
href=http://gc.gamestotal.com http://gc.gamestotal.com /a a
href=http://3700ad.gamestotal.com http://3700ad.gamestotal.com /a
a href=http://manga.gamestotal.com http://manga.gamestotal.com /a
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Feb 5, 1:26*pm, "RonABC" wrote:
Your link worked for me. *For those for whom the link did not work, maybe
they could do a copy and paste of the link text into the address bar and try
it that way.

Due to the reflections in the pictures, I misunderstood what I was seeing in
the pictures. *Since you said your "turn" the knob to operate the drain, I
took another look. *In the photo view from the bottom, it looks like maybe
there is a little round inset-type cap on the side of the fixture. *If so,
maybe you could use a pointed kitchen steak knife to pry/pop the cap out,
then see if there is a set screw in there. *Since you turn the knob for it
to work, my guess is that there is a set screw that holds the knob to the
shaft inside that has to be turned.

The link worked for me as well but as Ron said...the relfections made
it difficult to interpret the photos.

I have seen this type before (friend's house in the 70's) but never
removed the knob.

I think Ron is correct about that "cap"...but I would use a sharp
chisel or putty knife rather than risk a kitchen knife.

OP- Cover the drain with a wash cloth so you dont lose anything down
the drain. Get some Liquid wrench to put on the set screw and the pop-
up linkage so you can free it up.

The closeup photos were good for detail but an overall all shot would
have been helpful to establish context and making understanding the
closeups easier.

let us know how this works out.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Feb 6, 9:45*am, Bobk207 wrote:
On Feb 5, 1:26*pm, "RonABC" wrote:

[...]

Hello:

Thanks for all the suggestions. I looked at the knob one more time.
Unfortunately there is no inset cap. I looked at the photo and found
out that it is piece of hair that got stuck on the cap that looks like
the outline of a hole!

Last night I used some sort of an enzyme to unclog, but it did not
work.

Today I am going to get a big rag and cover the whole area and try
the plunger one more time.

If I can get that knob off, I will get rid of rest of the assembly,
and go to a simpler press-on type of drain plug. From what I read on
internet, the mechanism inside the pipes is a major cause of problems
with the bathtubs.

Deguza

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Feb 5, 12:29*am, Kompu Kid wrote:
Hello All:

I want to remove the knob that moves my pop-up plug for the drain up
and down.

I tried to pull this knob but it is not moving. *I looked around for a
set screw. There is none.

I have photos of the knob at:

http://cid-eb85de77506ba8ba.skydrive...px/BathTub?aut...

Is there any trick to removing this type of knob?

I need to remove it to open the clogged drain.

Thanks!

Deguza

Usually there is access to the back side of these fixtures through a
removable panel on the OTHER side of the wall from the tub. May be in
the back of a closet or something. Access to the back of the tub may
help clarify how things are attached and connected. -- H

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Kompu Kid wrote:

If I can get that knob off, I will get rid of rest of the assembly,
and go to a simpler press-on type of drain plug.

This probably doesn't help, but here is a link I found by doing a "Google
Images" search:

http://img.hisupplier.com/var/userIm...uan_152409.jpg

It's not your exact item, but I started wondering if you have a
"Cable-Operated Bath Waste" system (which I never heard of before doing the
search).

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Heathcliff wrote:
On Feb 5, 12:29 am, Kompu Kid wrote:
Hello All:

I want to remove the knob that moves my pop-up plug for the drain up
and down.

I tried to pull this knob but it is not moving. I looked around for a
set screw. There is none.

I have photos of the knob at:

http://cid-eb85de77506ba8ba.skydrive...px/BathTub?aut...

Is there any trick to removing this type of knob?

I need to remove it to open the clogged drain.

Thanks!

Deguza

Usually there is access to the back side of these fixtures through a
removable panel on the OTHER side of the wall from the tub. May be in
the back of a closet or something. Access to the back of the tub may
help clarify how things are attached and connected. -- H

I suspect that too. My mechanism is as pictured in TOH:
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/askt...205070,00.html
Snaking and clearing tub drains is tricky.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

"Kompu Kid" wrote in message
Hello All:

I want to remove the knob that moves my pop-up plug for the drain up
and down.

I tried to pull this knob but it is not moving. I looked around for a
set screw. There is none.

I have photos of the knob at:

http://cid-eb85de77506ba8ba.skydrive...Y9O!9fLQTTI%24

Is there any trick to removing this type of knob?

I need to remove it to open the clogged drain.

Thanks!

Deguza

The face plate looks like a Gerber drain set up. It's been 10 years or so,
since I've been involved in remodeling, but IIRC, they just pop on/off.

http://gerberonline.com/fileLib/Cabl...ll%20Sheet.pdf

or http://gerberonline.com/fileLib/41-100-SS.pdf

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

OP-

What is the real problem here? You are asking for a "solution"....
how do I remove the knob?

but removing the knob may not be what is needed.

Now you you're talking about "enzyme to unclog" and
"plunger".....sounds like a clogged drain.

What is condition that you are trying to fix?

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

"Bobk207" wrote in message
OP-

What is the real problem here? You are asking for a "solution"....
how do I remove the knob?

but removing the knob may not be what is needed.

Now you you're talking about "enzyme to unclog" and
"plunger".....sounds like a clogged drain.

What is condition that you are trying to fix?

cheers
Bob

The OP's original post says clogged drain.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Hello Folks:

I don't know what type of drain pipes I have.

If I have plastic (PVC?) pipes, what happens if I were to use Liquid
Plummer or something similar with a lot of caustic material in it?

I looked up on internet and some say it is not good, some claim it is
OK.

Deguza

P.S.: I am finding out that I have fixtures made by Andre. But I think
the knob and the mechanism is by someone else. Probably came with the
bathtub.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Feb 6, 6:15*pm, Bobk207 wrote:
OP-

What is the real problem here? *You are asking for a "solution"....
how do I remove the knob?

but removing the knob may not be what is needed.

Now you you're talking about "enzyme to unclog" *and
"plunger".....sounds like a clogged drain.

What is condition that you are trying to fix?

cheers
Bob

Hello Bob:

I am trying to clean a clogged drain. I am being told that I am
supposed to stick a snake through the hole that the knob covers.

Since I could not get that knob off, I thought maybe this enzyme stuff
may help loosen the clogged material.

So far no luck, though.

Deguza

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

noel888 wrote in
:

On Feb 5, 1:29*am, Kompu Kid wrote:
Hello All:

I want to remove the knob that moves my pop-up plug for the drain up
and down.

I tried to pull this knob but it is not moving. *I looked around for
a set screw. There is none.

I have photos of the knob at:

http://cid-eb85de77506ba8ba.skydrive...px/BathTub?aut.
..

Is there any trick to removing this type of knob?

I need to remove it to open the clogged drain.

Thanks!

Deguza

If your referring to the sink pop up in bathroom, go below the sink
and where the rod is connected to the sink..there is a clip that holds
them together...slide that clip outward and that should free the
connection and you should be able to remove it. BTW, maybe this is
intentional, but your link goes straight to Windows live.

The link works fine. Goes to Windows Live and there are two pics. Works
for others too. Check your yard.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Hello Bob:

I am trying to clean a clogged drain. I am being told that I am
supposed to stick a snake through the hole that the knob covers.

Since I could not get that knob off, I thought maybe this enzyme stuff
may help loosen the clogged material.

So far no luck, though.

Deguza

Ok....... are you getting any flow ...that is, does the tub empty
after many minutes or hours?

Or does it not empty after many hours?

If you're getting some flow....empties after many minutes you might
get lucky with a chemical drain opener.

Unfortunately, using a chemical drain opener will preclude using the
plunger with standing water (there would be a good chance in splashing
the stuff all over place)

Also in order to get really effective plunger action you've got to
block the overflow....sometimes not easy to do completely in a bathtub
or even a bathroom sink. And depend on where the clog is...plunging
could just send air & water up the vent.

A really badly blocked drain often needs a snake...... a slow drain or
even a "very slow" drain can be opened with enzyme drain cleaner or
chemical drain cleaner.

If the tub is on the first floor and the house is built on a
crawlspace....you can access the drain plumbing from the crawlspace.
There might be a cleanout in the bathtub line.

But now that another poster has pointed out that I missed in your OP
you clogged drain reference.......

The knob might pry off......revealing some sort of fastening. But
if the installation is really old, the knob might be frozen on the
shaft & prying might break something. If you do choose to attempt to
pry the knob off, use two same size screwdrivers or small pry bars and
protect the surface of the tub with cardboard or wood (paint
stirrers). Pry gently ...... its an acquired skill (unfortunately,
acquired by breaking things)

http://www.zepcommercial.com/products.asp?category=11

Drain maintenance using Zep Drain Care® Build Up Remover will
prevent these issues in the future

Use this products on clogs Zep Professional Strength Drain Opener

Good luck

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Bob

The OP's original post says clogged drain.

James-

You know, I read his OP twice and still missed the last sentence with
the clooged drain reference both times....my mistake.

Cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Feb 6, 9:25*pm, BobK207 wrote:
[...]

Well, I must be lucky: It drains slowly. If I get 1 or 2 inches of
water it takes about 5 minutes or so. In fact, this improved a bit
since I used the enzyme.

I agree I have to use the snake eventually. I have a crawl space where
I can probably access the pipes easily, but I do not want to go down
there in this damp and rainy weather.

Also, for future issues like this I think it would be best to develop
the capability to clear the pipe from the bathroom.

The bathroom is relatively new. The house was built 60 year ago, but
the previous owner must have done a remodel within the past 10 years
or so.

I am afraid to pry the knob though. One poster was saying earlier that
he has seen this type of knob at his mother's home, and it was secured
from the back.

Even if the clog clears, I will cut the backpanel of the counter in
the kitchen and the Sheetrock and see if I can reach the knob and the
pipes from behind.

By the way, thanks for all the suggestions.

Deguza
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Feb 7, 2:20*pm, Kompu Kid wrote:
On Feb 6, 9:25*pm, BobK207 wrote:

[...]

If you can get the drainage to improve even slightly
....continue you use your enzyme product or switch to the Zep Drain
Care Build Up remover.

I've been using & recommending that stuff for YEARS (close to 30).
When used as a drain maintenance method it will improve drain
performance and usually preclude the need for ever using a snake.

I would hold off on tearing into the back side of the tub area for a
while, give the drain enzyme a chance......like every night for a
week. If the flow is acceptable switch to 3 days in a row per week
for a month & then drop back to every 6 months.

Way easier than cutting an access hole.

Cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 07:08:47 -0800 (PST), noel888
wrote:

On Feb 5, 1:29*am, Kompu Kid wrote:
Hello All:

I want to remove the knob that moves my pop-up plug for the drain up
and down.

I tried to pull this knob but it is not moving. *I looked around for a
set screw. There is none.

I have photos of the knob at:

http://cid-eb85de77506ba8ba.skydrive...px/BathTub?aut...

Is there any trick to removing this type of knob?

I need to remove it to open the clogged drain.

Thanks!

Deguza

Sorry, i read your post again...you did say 'bathtub'...I got confused

He said it in the subject line but not in the post. It's his fault.

with the pop-up of the sink in bathrooms. Why ask in this frugal
forum..you would be better off in so many of those "How do I..."
forums which can be found by googling it? I still say that link of
yours takes me directly to windows live...go figure.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 12:45:09 -0800 (PST), Kompu Kid
wrote:

I am sorry that the link is not working. I checked it from my end
without signing on to hotmail. It seems to be there.

What the pictures depict is a somewhat rounded triangular knob. There
are no external fasteners (i.e. no screws, pins, etc). I am afraid to
pull this too hard, in case there is a different way of removing it.

I wish we could post photos on usenet along with our text...

Deguza

See if you can find something like it at a borg and read their
instructions. Or go to a real plumbing supply store, and tip the guy
5 dollars if you have to for him to show you one. (I never know how
much to tip. )
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Feb 7, 2:45*pm, Bobk207 wrote:
[..]
If you can get the drainage to improve even slightly
...continue you use your enzyme product or switch to the Zep Drain
Care Build Up remover.

I've been using & recommending that stuff for YEARS *(close to 30).
When used as a drain maintenance method *it will improve drain
performance and usually preclude the need for ever using a snake.

I would hold off on tearing into the back side of the tub area for a
while, give the drain enzyme a chance......like every night for a
week. *If the flow is acceptable switch to 3 days in a row per week
for a month & then drop back to every 6 months.

Way easier than cutting an access hole.

Cheers
Bob

It is funny! I kept referring to the stuff I was using as "enzyme". A
few minutes ago I looked at the manufacturer , brand, etc.

It turns out what I got from the local Home Depot *was* Zep!

I did not pay attention to other similar products at Home Depot. The
one I got says:
ZEP Commercial
Drain Care
Professional Strength.

Are there different types of ZEP?

Deguza

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Feb 8, 12:38*pm, Kompu Kid wrote:
turns out what I got from the local Home Depot *was* Zep!

I did not pay attention to other similar products at Home Depot. The
one I got says:
* * * * ZEP Commercial
* * * * Drain Care
* * * * Professional Strength.

Are there different types of ZEP?

Deguza

ZEP Commercial Drain Care Professional Strength.
That is one I would suggest to get a nearly stopped drain working.

ZEP is a manufacturer of MANY household chemicals

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_hg...ds=zep&x=0&y=0

their enzyme drain build up remover product

Zep #DC-16 18OZ Drain Cleaner
http://www.amazon.com/Zep-DC-16-18OZ.../dp/B000AXDLAI

is what I suggest for drain maintenance

If you get that bathtub flowing reasoanbly well....... follow care
with enzyme stuff will keep it working forever (unless you have a
mechanical blockage; toothpaste cap, paper clip, LEGO block, etc)

let us know how it works out

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Feb 6, 7:09*pm, Steve Barker wrote:
Heathcliff wrote:
On Feb 5, 12:29 am, Kompu Kid wrote:
Hello All:

I want to remove the knob that moves my pop-up plug for the drain up
and down.

I tried to pull this knob but it is not moving. *I looked around for a
set screw. There is none.

I have photos of the knob at:

http://cid-eb85de77506ba8ba.skydrive...px/BathTub?aut....

Is there any trick to removing this type of knob?

I need to remove it to open the clogged drain.

Thanks!

Deguza

Usually there is access to the back side of these fixtures through a
removable panel on the OTHER side of the wall from the tub. *May be in
the back of a closet or something. *Access to the back of the tub may
help clarify how things are attached and connected. *-- H

I've been in a plethora of houses and have NEVER seen an access panel
for the back of the tub hardware... *Now in modulars and mobiles, yes,
but not in stick built houses.

You need to get out more. I own a dozen or so, all stick built, and
each and every one has an access panel for the tub drain and related
hardware. It is extremely rare for me not to see that sort of thing
in a house. Where do you live?

JK
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Big_Jake wrote:

On Feb 6, 7:09 pm, Steve Barker wrote:

I've been in a plethora of houses and have NEVER seen an access panel
for the back of the tub hardware... Now in modulars and mobiles, yes,
but not in stick built houses.

You need to get out more. I own a dozen or so, all stick built, and
each and every one has an access panel for the tub drain and related
hardware. It is extremely rare for me not to see that sort of thing
in a house. Where do you live?

In a 900-SF cheap stick-built lath+plaster (yes, REAL plaster) house built in
1952. No access panels for anything, but we do have a generally-useless
cleanout near the kitchen sink. There is a crawlspace, though.

--
Cheers, Bev
================================

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Ed Ed is offline

I have found that enzyme treatments have limited use in tub and sink
drains. The culprit is usually hair and hair is not easily attacked by
enzymes. As an experiment I took a clump of hair and put it in a dish
with an enzyme drain treatment. Northing happened. The hair did not
break down or lose strength. After about a week mold grew in the dish
and I gave up.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Big_Jake wrote:
On Feb 6, 7:09 pm, Steve Barker wrote:
Heathcliff wrote:

(snip)

are attached and connected. -- H
I've been in a plethora of houses and have NEVER seen an access panel
for the back of the tub hardware... Now in modulars and mobiles, yes,
but not in stick built houses.

You need to get out more. I own a dozen or so, all stick built, and
each and every one has an access panel for the tub drain and related
hardware. It is extremely rare for me not to see that sort of thing
in a house. Where do you live?

Well, in Heathcliff's defense, a lot of houses didn't have them when
new, but got them the first time the tub plumbing crapped out around
year 15 or so. Mebbe he only works on newer houses? There is a hole in
the wall of my hallway closet I have been meaning to build a pretty
cover for since I bought the place 3.5 years ago. Too big for one of the
borg snap-in covers- it goes all the way down to the floor. Probably end
up with painted masonite or thin plywood, held in place with screws,
since I don't feel ambitious enough to frame and case the hole and put
up a panel held with magnetic catches. (Which is how we did it on fancy
houses in the old days....)

When I hit lotto and build my dream house, there will be access panels
EVERYWHERE, for any item with an expected lifespan shorter than the
house. I HATE patching drywall....

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Well, in Heathcliff's defense, a lot of houses didn't have them when
new, but got them the first time the tub plumbing crapped out around
year 15 or so. Mebbe he only works on newer houses? There is a hole in
the wall of my hallway closet I have been meaning to build a pretty
cover for since I bought the place 3.5 years ago. Too big for one of the
borg snap-in covers- it goes all the way down to the floor. Probably end
up with painted masonite or thin plywood, held in place with screws,
since I don't feel ambitious enough to frame and case the hole and put
up a panel held with magnetic catches. (Which is how we did it on fancy
houses in the old days....)

Most of my houses were built before 1930, and they generally have a
varnished panel held in place by screws. While I like the idea of
magnetic catches, I haven't seen them used, in even on fancy old
houses. The panels are big enough to be able to replace the waste &
overflow on most of them, and possibly the mixer.

JK