Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New Bathtub discolored Question.

Ok here's a good one. Customer called me today, her maid or cleaning lady
used something (she thinks some kind of toilet cleaner) on her brand new
fiberglass or acrylic tub. What ever she used turned a off white tub,
bright white but only where it ran and other spots where it sat. It appears
it did not degrade the finish just turned it very white. I told them I
could probably get it bright white but never to it's original color. They
kinda figured that. But they don't know what the idiot maid used and she
can't remember.

Anyone have a clue on what she may have used or what I can use to treat this
new tub and get it one color again, bright white?

Thanks,
Rich
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to alt.home.repair

"evodawg" wrote in message
[...]

If she used a cleaner with a solvent especially one with Acetone in it, it
will damage the surface. Some window cleaners have acetone but not many.
Other solvents that damage plastic will also do this. If it is solvent
damage, the surface won't feel as glossy as before. Buffing with gel coat
cleaner might help with this. Additional solvent damage can crack
fiberglass so don't go crazy trying to make the damage uniform if that's
what it was. You or they should also contact the tub manufacturer before
doing anything permanent, they will know more about the material and how to
repair it than anyone.

I don't know of any chemical that will change the pigment in
Fiberglass/Acrylic so I doubt that is just bleached white. I suspect that
the surface damage is just making it look white.

In the future tell them to have the maid use liquid dishwasher detergent on
the tub. This way they don't have to stock a separate acrylic tub cleaner
or just use gel coat cleaner, its good for stainless steel and stone
surfaces too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

pipedown wrote:

[...]

It doesn't look like the surface was damaged or etched. It just looks like
it turned it very white. You can see where it was applied and it ran down
the inside of the tube, that area is much whiter than orginial. I just want
to turn it all one color.

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to alt.home.repair

aspasia wrote:
On Fri, 02 May 2008 20:20:13 GMT, evodawg wrote:

Ok here's a good one. Customer called me today, her maid or cleaning
lady used something (she thinks some kind of toilet cleaner) on her
brand new fiberglass or acrylic tub. What ever she used turned a off
white tub, bright white but only where it ran and other spots where
it sat. It appears it did not degrade the finish just turned it very
white. I told them I could probably get it bright white but never to
it's original color. They kinda figured that. But they don't know
what the idiot maid used and she can't remember.

Anyone have a clue on what she may have used

??? Why not ASK the cleaning lady?

"I know nothink!"

Posted to alt.home.repair

aspasia wrote:

On Fri, 02 May 2008 20:20:13 GMT, evodawg wrote:

Ok here's a good one. Customer called me today, her maid or cleaning lady
used something (she thinks some kind of toilet cleaner) on her brand new
fiberglass or acrylic tub. What ever she used turned a off white tub,
bright white but only where it ran and other spots where it sat. It
appears it did not degrade the finish just turned it very white. I told
them I could probably get it bright white but never to it's original
color. They kinda figured that. But they don't know what the idiot maid
used and she can't remember.

Anyone have a clue on what she may have used

??? Why not ASK the cleaning lady?

Auhhhh, 6 lines up is your answer. geeeeeeeeeeeeezzzz

or what I can use to treat this
new tub and get it one color again, bright white?

Thanks,
Rich

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:

aspasia wrote:
On Fri, 02 May 2008 20:20:13 GMT, evodawg wrote:

Ok here's a good one. Customer called me today, her maid or cleaning
lady used something (she thinks some kind of toilet cleaner) on her
brand new fiberglass or acrylic tub. What ever she used turned a off
white tub, bright white but only where it ran and other spots where
it sat. It appears it did not degrade the finish just turned it very
white. I told them I could probably get it bright white but never to
it's original color. They kinda figured that. But they don't know
what the idiot maid used and she can't remember.

Anyone have a clue on what she may have used

??? Why not ASK the cleaning lady?

"I know nothink!"

WHAT? Are you both idiots? Or did you even finish reading the freakin post?
SHE DOES NOT REMEMBER WHAT SHE USED. Is that clear enough?

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to alt.home.repair

evodawg wrote:
Anyone have a clue on what she may have used

??? Why not ASK the cleaning lady?

"I know nothink!"

WHAT? Are you both idiots? Or did you even finish reading the
freakin post? SHE DOES NOT REMEMBER WHAT SHE USED. Is that clear
enough?

Yeah, but that's only what she SAYS. The only way to be sure she's not
lying - out of embarrassment, fear, protecting loved ones, or holding out
for more money, is torture.

Have you tried electric shock?

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:

evodawg wrote:
Anyone have a clue on what she may have used

??? Why not ASK the cleaning lady?

"I know nothink!"

WHAT? Are you both idiots? Or did you even finish reading the
freakin post? SHE DOES NOT REMEMBER WHAT SHE USED. Is that clear
enough?

Yeah, but that's only what she SAYS. The only way to be sure she's not
lying - out of embarrassment, fear, protecting loved ones, or holding out
for more money, is torture.

Have you tried electric shock?

Think Water Boarding in the bath tub would be better approach!!!

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 2, 3:20*pm, evodawg wrote:
Ok here's a good one. Customer called me today, her maid or cleaning lady
used something (she thinks some kind of toilet cleaner) on her brand new
fiberglass or acrylic tub. What ever she used turned a off white tub,
bright white but only where it ran and other spots where it sat. It appears
it did not degrade the finish just turned it very white. I told them I
could probably get it bright white but never to it's original color. They
kinda figured that. But they don't know what the idiot maid used and she
can't remember.

Anyone have a clue on what she may have used or what I can use to treat this
new tub and get it one color again, bright white?

Thanks,
Rich
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

An off white tub is now streaked white and you want to try to bleach
it all whiter, forget aboud it, you might ruin it, they might paint
the streaks back to off white, or let the maid treat it again.