Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Leaking T

I recently repaired a T fitting in galvanized pipe that was leaking
because someone had messed up the threads during installation. The T
was going to be a real pain to take out so I brazed the inside of the
T and then taped it with an NPT thread. It has been holding for over a
month with no leaks. Do you think this should be a good fix.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

JIMMIE wrote:
I recently repaired a T fitting in galvanized pipe that was leaking
because someone had messed up the threads during installation. The T
was going to be a real pain to take out so I brazed the inside of the
T and then taped it with an NPT thread. It has been holding for over a
month with no leaks. Do you think this should be a good fix.

Jimmie

I like it. Clever.

Eventually, maybe decades, corrosion may set in
but it probably won't matter.

t'other Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

"JIMMIE" wrote in message
I recently repaired a T fitting in galvanized pipe that was leaking
because someone had messed up the threads during installation. The T
was going to be a real pain to take out so I brazed the inside of the
T and then taped it with an NPT thread. It has been holding for over a
month with no leaks. Do you think this should be a good fix.

Tapping would have been better. What kind of tape? :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/3/2009 4:01 PM 1D10T spake thus:

"JIMMIE" wrote in message

I recently repaired a T fitting in galvanized pipe that was leaking
because someone had messed up the threads during installation. The T
was going to be a real pain to take out so I brazed the inside of the
T and then taped it with an NPT thread. It has been holding for over a
month with no leaks. Do you think this should be a good fix.

Tapping would have been better. What kind of tape? :-)

That's the way I read the original post too.

*Tape*? To fix a leak in a tee???

--
Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won't use it. I like it
upgrades. As long as there is hardware and software out there that

- lifted from sci.electronics.repair
Posted to alt.home.repair

s.com...

"JIMMIE" wrote in message

I recently repaired a T fitting in galvanized pipe that was leaking
because someone had messed up the threads during installation. The T
was going to be a real pain to take out so I brazed the inside of the
T and then taped it with an NPT thread. It has been holding for over a
month with no leaks. Do you think this should be a good fix.

Tapping would have been better. What kind of tape? :-)

That's the way I read the original post too.

*Tape*? To fix a leak in a tee???

Tap, tape, tapping, taping. Some people don't know the difference.

Posted to alt.home.repair

That's a tip top tip, about taping. Actually, if the tape
had been tapped, it would have been the top of the liklihood
to tip the tape which had been topped off.

"If a woodtip could tip wood....."

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

*Tape*? To fix a leak in a tee???

Tap, tape, tapping, taping. Some people don't know the
difference.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JIMMIE" wrote in message
I recently repaired a T fitting in galvanized pipe that was leaking
because someone had messed up the threads during installation. The T
was going to be a real pain to take out so I brazed the inside of the
T and then taped it with an NPT thread. It has been holding for over a
month with no leaks. Do you think this should be a good fix.

Jimmie

I have no idea how long it will take but I suspect the iron, zinc, and brass
will set up galvanic corrosion which will eventually cause it to leak. I
would probably have tried an epoxy repair instead of brazing. If you have to
repair it, there are rubber bushed repair unions which are very easy to use
and seem quite reliable, from my limited experience with them. Two have been
buried on my son's galvanized main water line which was corroded in two
when we bought his house 19 years ago.

Don Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 3, 10:08�pm, "Don Young" wrote:
"JIMMIE" wrote in message

[...]

if its a water supply line replace the entire thing with PEX, dirt
cheap, easy to instyall no more leaks and much better flow...

galavanized is just a problem guaranteed to occur, not if just
when.......
Posted to alt.home.repair

"JIMMIE" wrote in message

[...]

I agree with you but this repair only involved exposing about a foot of the
line, a few minutes with a saw, and installing the two couplings with a new
pipe section. It will eventually fail but has given 19 years of service and
is still okay. The line itself is probably around 50 years old. We plan on
replacing it before doing some paving in the area.

Don Young

CH drain tap leaking, radiator valve leaking, valve not working (?) Clive UK diy 2 October 15th 08 05:13 AM
Leaking rad Colin Wilson UK diy 4 May 1st 07 09:43 PM
leaking tub??? [email protected] Home Ownership 5 March 1st 07 09:52 PM
I'm puzzled about my leaking roof. It's not leaking like a leak should leak. Daniel Cullpeppper Home Repair 10 April 30th 06 04:16 AM
leaking rad. stan UK diy 10 May 4th 05 10:42 PM