Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Suggestion for Basement Reno

Hi...just looking for ideas of how to finish off the last room in my
basement. I already have a tool room, laundry, and bathroom completed.
I am looking at making an entertainment room with a Flat Screen TV,
Fireplace, and Sit-up Wet Bar (Bar with bar stools). Also I would like
a storage room for the seasonal stuff (fishing, hunting, skies,
skates, helmets, camping/hiking gear etc.).

The room is long and kind of narrow, a plan with measurements can be
seen he

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dcnz94df_0f5gqcdt9

Please comment on what might be the best option. The walls are still
open, just insulated, so wiring is not an issue.

Thanks,
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 3, 2:27�pm, wrote:
Hi...just looking for ideas of how to finish off the last room in my
basement. I already have a tool room, laundry, and bathroom completed.
I am looking at making an entertainment room with a Flat Screen TV,
Fireplace, and Sit-up Wet Bar (Bar with bar stools). Also I would like
a storage room for the seasonal stuff (fishing, hunting, skies,
skates, helmets, camping/hiking gear etc.).

The room is long and kind of narrow, a plan with measurements can be
seen he

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dcnz94df_0f5gqcdt9

Please comment on what might be the best option. The walls are still
open, just insulated, so wiring is not an issue.

Thanks,

Sit-up wet bars are old fashion, you can't face the person you're
talking to and basically useless for most. I would build a counter
that extends about 7' from a wall that has seating on both sides. This
would basically break up the long room, people could sit at it and
play cards or talk across it and get a genuine feeling of being
welcome. A bar really doesn't do that much. you could have more
comfortable seating on either side and maybe a few games tables on the
other. Doing this would allow everyone to view the big screen. Also a
good place for all the snacks during the big game...........next
year. :-)

Hank ~~~~~likes a lot of snacks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 3, 1:27*pm, wrote:
Hi...just looking for ideas of how to finish off the last room in my
basement. I already have a tool room, laundry, and bathroom completed.
I am looking at making an entertainment room with a Flat Screen TV,
Fireplace, and Sit-up Wet Bar (Bar with bar stools). Also I would like
a storage room for the seasonal stuff (fishing, hunting, skies,
skates, helmets, camping/hiking gear etc.).

The room is long and kind of narrow, a plan with measurements can be
seen he

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dcnz94df_0f5gqcdt9

Please comment on what might be the best option. The walls are still
open, just insulated, so wiring is not an issue.

Thanks,

Yeah like Hank said... I like self-serve walk up bars with a sink
better. The area behind walk-behind bars tends to become a junk
collection area, bottles and glassware gets dusty, guests dont want to
help themselves or go behind there, etc. With a walk up, the bar can
also function as a kitchenette, buffet counter, etc. Need to decide
if counter is to be 36 or 42 inches high then get either 24 or 30 inch
stools/chairs, or multi-level counter with a 30 inch area for regular
standard table chairs. I would leave the room as open as possible
then just furnish it nicely.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dss dss is offline

I love a good basement project. It's going to be tough as it looks
like a train car.

You could do a walk-in closet (6 feet deep?) on the left keeping the
workroom door and the windows in the main room. Less, if you don't
need the storage (you will fill it up in any case). That would also
help square up the room.

The wet bar probably has to go on the upper right next to the
bathroom. I'd just do a 6-foot counter along the wall and skip the
bar. You could put in a short peninsula, but that will take up some
space. Less is more, don't crowd things too much.

The obvious place for the TV is between the windows as that gives you
good light control and plenty of room for seating. But it might limit
its size because the room is so narrow. Figure out what size you want
and then see how close you want to be sitting to it. Don't forget
about the door clearance and the size of things you are bringing down
to the workroom (4x8 plywood?). A TV on the end wall might limit
seating and the bar would get in the way. You could put it on the
closet side too.

If you're talking about an electric fireplace to provide a little
extra heating you could put it almost anyplace (under the TV, either
end wall or in the corners). A real fireplace would limit your
placement options.

Make some life-size cardboard cut-outs or use chalk and experiment
with placement. Check with the local building inspectors to make sure
you insulate correctly and use the right vapor barrier. Fix any
moisture problems before you do anything.

Post your results when you are done. Looks like fun.

dss

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 3, 2:27�pm, wrote:
Hi...just looking for ideas of how to finish off the last room in my
basement. I already have a tool room, laundry, and bathroom completed.
I am looking at making an entertainment room with a Flat Screen TV,
Fireplace, and Sit-up Wet Bar (Bar with bar stools). Also I would like
a storage room for the seasonal stuff (fishing, hunting, skies,
skates, helmets, camping/hiking gear etc.).

The room is long and kind of narrow, a plan with measurements can be
seen he

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dcnz94df_0f5gqcdt9

Please comment on what might be the best option. The walls are still
open, just insulated, so wiring is not an issue.

Thanks,

first makew CERTAIN ITS DRY 100% of the time no matter what the
weather!

Posted to alt.home.repair

My thoughts:

Wall off the left end entirely as the storage room. Put the door either
totally to the side, or better yet, enter it from your workroom. Keep this
new wall for the big-screen TV. (putting this between the windows wouldn't
work - the room is only 10-8, and with the doors opposite your seats would
be pretty close to the TV between the windows.)

The idea of a walk-up bar is good, with a peninsula, or make it a U-shaped
kitchette sort of arrangement up against the laundry/bath wall. and the
right end wall. Keep it to about 5' out from the laundry wall and then the
remaining part of that end could have a game table that could also be used
for food serving, or just a sitting area away from the main TV room.

wrote in message
Hi...just looking for ideas of how to finish off the last room in my
basement. I already have a tool room, laundry, and bathroom completed.
I am looking at making an entertainment room with a Flat Screen TV,
Fireplace, and Sit-up Wet Bar (Bar with bar stools). Also I would like
a storage room for the seasonal stuff (fishing, hunting, skies,
skates, helmets, camping/hiking gear etc.).

The room is long and kind of narrow, a plan with measurements can be
seen he

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dcnz94df_0f5gqcdt9

Please comment on what might be the best option. The walls are still
open, just insulated, so wiring is not an issue.

Thanks,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks all...some great ideas. I will definitely keep the thread
updated.