Posted to alt.home.repair
Gary

Default Basement reno... replace old water supply line

Hi all

We are doing a basement reno and need to replace the old city water
supply line which is currently running under the ceiling joists
(perpendicular). We have to either run some sort of flexible pipe
through the joists or figure out how bend copper to get them into the
joists. This is all because of a ceiling height requirement where we
are unable to have a dropped ceiling. Can't even spare a 1/2 inch
because of code...

Are there any good options for flexible plastic supply lines now? What
other things should I be considering?

Thanks
Gary

Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim

Gary wrote:
Hi all

We are doing a basement reno and need to replace the old city water
supply line which is currently running under the ceiling joists
(perpendicular). We have to either run some sort of flexible pipe
through the joists or figure out how bend copper to get them into the
joists. This is all because of a ceiling height requirement where we
are unable to have a dropped ceiling. Can't even spare a 1/2 inch
because of code...

Are there any good options for flexible plastic supply lines now? What
other things should I be considering?

Thanks
Gary

You can (fairly) easily pull 3/4" Type L soft copper tube
thru bored holes in joists. Rent/beg/borrow/steal a rt angle
drill for the job. Get slip-on foam insulation too, so you
don't have condensation dripping on your new ceiling.

PEX plastic tubing is another option, but is not as readily
available and the terminations are not familiar to DIY-ers.

One last point: In an older home, the water service line
*may* be in use as a grounding means. Not just the electric
service panel, but as an equipment ground for boxes, recepts, etc.
[It should be said that this use as equip ground is no longer
permitted, but you abandon any such grounds at your peril.]

Ask the inspector for advice regarding bonding and grounding.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

Can you put an elbow on it and move it to the wall where you can either move
the wall out a bit or build a tiny soffit to cover it up. In other words,
reroute it.

"Gary" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all

We are doing a basement reno and need to replace the old city water
supply line which is currently running under the ceiling joists
(perpendicular). We have to either run some sort of flexible pipe
through the joists or figure out how bend copper to get them into the
joists. This is all because of a ceiling height requirement where we
are unable to have a dropped ceiling. Can't even spare a 1/2 inch
because of code...

Are there any good options for flexible plastic supply lines now? What
other things should I be considering?

Thanks
Gary

Posted to alt.home.repair
Gary

The only place to reroute it would be to an outside concrete wall...
That conjurs up fears of bursting water pipes in my head... Maybe this
fear is unfounded?

Gary

Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim

Gary wrote:
Is there any disadvantage to using the soft copper tube vs solid? This
is for a supply line (it does have a regulator on it set on max
allowed).. As for grounding we are redoing the electrical (knob +
tube, whole other issue) so a new ground is already planned.

This PEX stuff sounds interesting but I guess its pretty new. Is it
worth getting a pro out to put it in? (On a big budget)

Thanks
Gary

The soft copper is plenty strong. Type L is heavy wall .

Call around and see if any pros will install PEX.
This job may be too small to bother with and could
hold up the project.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair
No

"Gary" wrote in message
oups.com...
The only place to reroute it would be to an outside concrete wall...
That conjurs up fears of bursting water pipes in my head... Maybe this
fear is unfounded?

Gary

Depends - I was going to suggest the same thing. Insulate it and you should
be fine unless it gets really really cold where you are.