Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What is the nicest system of crimping coax cable?

I have a coax crimper, but it makes crimps that look very bad. I would
like to buy something else that works very nicely and makes good
looking crimps, so any suggestions to that effect will be
appreciated.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 09:24:46 -0600, Ignoramus13408 wrote:
I have a coax crimper, but it makes crimps that look very bad. I would
like to buy something else that works very nicely and makes good
looking crimps, so any suggestions to that effect will be
appreciated.

compression crimp. The crimp-ons look like a pair of rings. The crimper is
a small handheld affair where the "crimp" occurs inside one of the handles.

Go to a big box hardware store and ask. There's only two kinds of crimps:
the old kind and the new compression ring crimp.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a coax crimper, but it makes crimps that look very bad. I would
like to buy something else that works very nicely and makes good
looking crimps, so any suggestions to that effect will be
appreciated.

Use a compression crimper and the special connectors it requires.
They have a sleeve that the tool presses into the connector body,
wedging the cable in place. Makes beautiful and reliable cables.

DAGS for RG6 compression connectors or tool or crimper.

Available in a water resistant version for outdoors, too.

HTH,

Paul F.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 12:44:39 -0500, Van Chocstraw wrote:
Ignoramus13408 wrote:
I have a coax crimper, but it makes crimps that look very bad. I would
like to buy something else that works very nicely and makes good
looking crimps, so any suggestions to that effect will be
appreciated.

Go to Home Depot and get one.

I can see it now.

Man walks into home depot.
Home depo employee: "Hello. Finding everything ok?"
Man: "no. I need to 'get one' Can you tell me where the ones are?"
Home depo employee: "Can you be more specific?"
Man: "no. I wanted something to make nice crimps and somebody told me
to get one. Where are the ones?"
Posted to alt.home.repair

Van Chocstraw wrote:
Ignoramus13408 wrote:
I have a coax crimper, but it makes crimps that look very bad. I would
like to buy something else that works very nicely and makes good
looking crimps, so any suggestions to that effect will be
appreciated.

Go to Home Depot and get one.

Agreed- but it isn't really a crimper, since it doesn't squeeze the
connector from the side. You want the one that shoves the connector onto
the end of the cable, at the same time it shoves the plastic sleeve
thingie that slips over the end of the cable first, down into the
connector. Makes a very pretty and strong and low-noise connection. We
have one at work for the 2-way satt dishes that makes mil-spec
connections, but it costs several hundred dollars, and the connectors
are about five bucks each. The ones they sell at HD/Lowes/etc work on
the same concept, but cost a whole lot less, and are plenty good enough
for home use, as long as you don't get -75 to +120 temp swings,
sandstorms, and such, like the stuff we build does. Expect to spend
30-40 bucks for the tool and the first ten connectors, and buy another
box of connectors at the same time. It'll take you 2-3 tries to get the
hang of lining it all up and applying the proper pressure. If the kit
doesn't have a good coax stripper in it, buy one of those as well.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a coax crimper, but it makes crimps that look very bad. I would
like to buy something else that works very nicely and makes good
looking crimps, so any suggestions to that effect will be
appreciated.

Use a compression crimper and the special connectors it requires.
They have a sleeve that the tool presses into the connector body,
wedging the cable in place. Makes beautiful and reliable cables.

DAGS for RG6 compression connectors or tool or crimper.

Available in a water resistant version for outdoors, too.

HTH,

Paul F.

I just got one of those compression tools. It's easy to use and seems
to do a good job on RG6 cable. Not so good on RG59.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The government of the United States is not, in
any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a coax crimper, but it makes crimps that look very bad. I would
like to buy something else that works very nicely and makes good
looking crimps, so any suggestions to that effect will be
appreciated.

Use a compression crimper and the special connectors it requires.
They have a sleeve that the tool presses into the connector body,
wedging the cable in place. Makes beautiful and reliable cables.

DAGS for RG6 compression connectors or tool or crimper.

Available in a water resistant version for outdoors, too.

HTH,

Paul F.

I just got one of those compression tools. It's easy to use and seems
to do a good job on RG6 cable. Not so good on RG59.

They even sell RG59 any more? Or were you just putting new ends on an
old cable? I certainly would not install any new RG59 anywhere.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2009-01-18, aemeijers wrote:
Van Chocstraw wrote:
Ignoramus13408 wrote:
[...]

I think that I am getting the picture. Thanks to everyone. I will
definitely get a compression crimper. I do have a acceptable
coax stripper.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a coax crimper, but it makes crimps that look very bad. I would
like to buy something else that works very nicely and makes good
looking crimps, so any suggestions to that effect will be
appreciated.
Use a compression crimper and the special connectors it requires.
They have a sleeve that the tool presses into the connector body,
wedging the cable in place. Makes beautiful and reliable cables.

DAGS for RG6 compression connectors or tool or crimper.

Available in a water resistant version for outdoors, too.

HTH,

Paul F.

I just got one of those compression tools. It's easy to use and seems
to do a good job on RG6 cable. Not so good on RG59.

They even sell RG59 any more? Or were you just putting new ends on an
old cable? I certainly would not install any new RG59 anywhere.

I wouldn't either.

The last time I had to work with RG59, it was to replace a
(non-compression) end that had come loose. Replacing the entire cable
would have been a much more complex operation.

BTW, the local Lowes does not sell RG59 in bulk.