Posted to alt.home.repair
Ignoramus13408 Ignoramus13408 is offline

Default What is the nicest system of crimping coax cable?

On 2009-01-18, aemeijers wrote:
Van Chocstraw wrote:
Ignoramus13408 wrote:
I have a coax crimper, but it makes crimps that look very bad. I would
like to buy something else that works very nicely and makes good
looking crimps, so any suggestions to that effect will be
appreciated.

Go to Home Depot and get one.

Agreed- but it isn't really a crimper, since it doesn't squeeze the
connector from the side. You want the one that shoves the connector onto
the end of the cable, at the same time it shoves the plastic sleeve
thingie that slips over the end of the cable first, down into the
connector. Makes a very pretty and strong and low-noise connection. We
have one at work for the 2-way satt dishes that makes mil-spec
connections, but it costs several hundred dollars, and the connectors
are about five bucks each. The ones they sell at HD/Lowes/etc work on
the same concept, but cost a whole lot less, and are plenty good enough
for home use, as long as you don't get -75 to +120 temp swings,
sandstorms, and such, like the stuff we build does. Expect to spend
30-40 bucks for the tool and the first ten connectors, and buy another
box of connectors at the same time. It'll take you 2-3 tries to get the
hang of lining it all up and applying the proper pressure. If the kit
doesn't have a good coax stripper in it, buy one of those as well.

I think that I am getting the picture. Thanks to everyone. I will
definitely get a compression crimper. I do have a acceptable
coax stripper.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/