Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water heater temperature regulation

I had a new GE 40 gal gas water heater installed, replacing an old unit.

We noticed right away that the water temperature in the shower often needs
adjustment when we step in the shower (after the water has been running for
several minutes to allow for cold pipes). The temp is set fairly low to
avoid wasting a lot of hot water. The water coming from the shower head,
after I let it run for 4 minutes, shows between 95 and 105 degree, a 10
degree differential.

Is this normal? I am glad my furnace thermostat is more accurate than that.

Thanks

--

Walter
www.rationality.net

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

40 gallons of water is not going to vary 10 degrees in 4 minutes no matter
how bad or good the thermostat is. I would look for other causes in your
house.

"Walter R." wrote in message
I had a new GE 40 gal gas water heater installed, replacing an old unit.

We noticed right away that the water temperature in the shower often needs
adjustment when we step in the shower (after the water has been running
for several minutes to allow for cold pipes). The temp is set fairly low
to avoid wasting a lot of hot water. The water coming from the shower
head, after I let it run for 4 minutes, shows between 95 and 105 degree, a
10 degree differential.

Is this normal? I am glad my furnace thermostat is more accurate than
that.

Thanks

--

Walter
www.rationality.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

What I meant was: I let the hot water run at the shower for 4 minutes to
make sure it will be as hot as it will get. It takes that long to get hot
water at the shower from the water heater because the pipes are cold.

--

Walter
www.rationality.net
anews.com...

"Walter R." wrote in message
I had a new GE 40 gal gas water heater installed, replacing an old unit.

We noticed right away that the water temperature in the shower often
needs adjustment when we step in the shower (after the water has been
running for several minutes to allow for cold pipes). The temp is set
fairly low to avoid wasting a lot of hot water. The water coming from the
shower head, after I let it run for 4 minutes, shows between 95 and 105
degree, a 10 degree differential.

Is this normal? I am glad my furnace thermostat is more accurate than
that.

Thanks

--

Walter
www.rationality.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Walter R." wrote in message
I had a new GE 40 gal gas water heater installed, replacing an old unit..

We noticed right away that the water temperature in the shower often
needs adjustment when we step in the shower (after the water has been
running for several minutes to allow for cold pipes). The temp is set
fairly low to avoid wasting a lot of hot water. The water coming from the
shower head, after I let it run for 4 minutes, shows between 95 and 105
degree, a 10 degree differential.

Is this normal? I am glad my furnace thermostat is more accurate than
that.

Thanks

--

Walter
www.rationality.net- Hide quoted text -

it might be caused by the extremely cold outdsoor temperatures across
the nation.

it cools incoming water, try turning your temperature up a little and
insulate the hot water line to slow line losses.

you could also add a recircul line, with a manual switch . how far
from tank to shower?

does the line travel thru a crawl space?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Walter R." wrote in message
I had a new GE 40 gal gas water heater installed, replacing an old unit.

We noticed right away that the water temperature in the shower often needs
adjustment when we step in the shower (after the water has been running
for several minutes to allow for cold pipes). The temp is set fairly low
to avoid wasting a lot of hot water. The water coming from the shower
head, after I let it run for 4 minutes, shows between 95 and 105 degree, a
10 degree differential.

Is this normal? I am glad my furnace thermostat is more accurate than
that.

It may be. Lets look at the whole picture. When you start the shower, the
water is coming from two sources, the water heat that is perhaps 125
degrees, and the cold water that has been sitting in the house at perhaps 68
degrees. You blend the two together to get water that is 105 or so.

After the shower runs for a time, the water in the pipes gets used up. To
replace it, the water comes in from the outside. If you live in the south,
it may be 60 degrees. If you live in the north, it may be 45 degrees. The
ground is very cold right now. Blend that with what is in the heater and
you need to make adjustments. If the water tank is already set very low, it
is difficult to make up that difference.

While you think you may be saving money keeping the temperature set very
low, it may be costing more in the end as you need more of it to get the
same job done. Set it up to about 125 to 130 and see what happens. You may
be much happier and still be very economical. You needs less of the heated
water to get the same comfort level. In any case, you'll have to make
adjustments when the street or well water hits the shower head.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 18:49:35 -0800 (PST), ransley
wrote:

On Jan 16, 7:44Â*pm, "Walter R." wrote:
I had a new GE 40 gal gas water heater installed, replacing an old unit.

We noticed right away that the water temperature in the shower often needs
adjustment when we step in the shower (after the water has been running for
several minutes to allow for cold pipes). The temp is set fairly low to
avoid wasting a lot of hot water. The water coming from the shower head,
after I let it run for 4 minutes, shows between 95 and 105 degree, a 10
degree differential.

Is this normal? I am glad my furnace thermostat is more accurate than that.

Thanks

--

Walterwww.rationality.net

Do you mean shower water temp drops from 105-95 after 4 minutes, are
both thermostats actualy kicking in at the same temp if you test them
on a stabilised tank temp, so if you lower then raise each thermostat
you can tell if they both are heating to the right temp. Maybe one
element is not heating to the same temp. Or a dip tube issue, im
guessing im no water heater pro.

Both elements? Both thermostats? It's a GAS water heater.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Jan 16, 7:44�pm, "Walter R." wrote:
I had a new GE 40 gal gas water heater installed, replacing an old unit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Walter R. wrote:
I had a new GE 40 gal gas water heater installed, replacing an old unit.

We noticed right away that the water temperature in the shower often needs
adjustment when we step in the shower (after the water has been running for
several minutes to allow for cold pipes). The temp is set fairly low to
avoid wasting a lot of hot water. The water coming from the shower head,
after I let it run for 4 minutes, shows between 95 and 105 degree, a 10
degree differential.

Is this normal? I am glad my furnace thermostat is more accurate than that.

Thanks

If I understand correctly, I have the
same problem. This is my 5th water heater
in this house in many, many years. This
one and the last one behave as follows:
For the 1st shower in the morning, after
setting all night, you have to use very
little cold water. While you are
showing, the water heater fires up (note
gas) and
the water gets warmer. You then have to
add more cold to compensate. I have
pressure balanced valve on both showers,
however, pressures don't change, only
the hot water temperature. I heard
somewhere, maybe on this group, that the
newer gas heaters are set up to "float"
with the usage. This is supposed to
reduce heat loss, or something like
that. BTW, all day, when
water is being used (2 retired people),
it stays at the higher temperature. It
only to gets cooler when you there is
no usage for a bunch of hours. I have the
water heater set to the recommended
setting which is not anywhere near the
highest setting. Maybe if it were set
to a higher setting, you wouldn't notice it
as much. Any comments?
Art
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 17, 9:24�am, Art Todesco wrote:
Walter R. wrote:
[...]

I installed a delta temperature pressure balance valve for my shower.
its one of the BEST upgrades I bought for many years!

No matter wqhat it holds the temperature within 3 degrees.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Art Todesco wrote:
Walter R. wrote:
[...]

I have noticed the same thing, when I moved into my house the first
shower of the day was never hot enough, but if you were second in line
you got a nice hot one. I eventually just raised the tank temp, you
still have to adjust a little, but at least everyone gets a hot shower.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 17, 9:30�am, Nate Nagel wrote:
Art Todesco wrote:
I had a new GE 40 gal gas water heater installed, replacing an old unit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Art Todesco wrote:
Walter R. wrote:
[...]

replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel-Hide quoted text -

old tanks had poorer insulation, so the temp would drop and burner
come back on to reheat.

new tanks have much better insulation with really low standby losses

The price is temperature falls slowly, tank never gets cold enough to
reheat by morning.

try running some hot water right before bedtime, so the tank reheats.
insulate lines to tank etc to minimize standby losses. thus minimizing
the drop.

manufacturers could design better thermostasts that hold the
temperature closer, but they would cost more.

soon none of this will matter once tanks come from china, price will
be so cheap no one will care- Hide quoted text -

After all that the OP has said, I'm still not sure exactly what's
going on.

" The water coming from the shower head,
after I let it run for 4 minutes, shows between 95 and 105 degree, a
10
degree differential. "

"What I meant was: I let the hot water run at the shower for 4 minutes
make sure it will be as hot as it will get. It takes that long to get
hot
water at the shower from the water heater because the pipes are cold.
"

Is he saying it takes 4 mins to get from 95 to 105 and then stays
there? Or that it does that first and then varies by some
unspecified amount? If you can't state the problem, you aren;t likely
to get an answer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Art Todesco wrote:
Walter R. wrote:
[...]

The newer gas water heaters also have a higher temperature differential
thermostat as an energy saving feature. The water has to get colder before
the burner lights so the water is quite a bit hotter just after the burner
goes off than it is just before the burner relights again. When you first
start using water, the temperature can be anywhere between those points,
depending on how long it has been since the burner went off or on. A minor
but noticeable annoyance to me.

Don Young- Hide quoted text -

yeah I mentioned this discussion to a good friend who reported his
tank is the same way. its new installed last year.

a temerature balance valve will solve the problem.

wonder if the water heater manufacturer has a close tolerance
thermostat for customers who complain?

they are replaceable