Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water heater temperature regulation

On Jan 17, 9:38�pm, "Don Young" wrote:
wrote in message

On Jan 17, 9:30?am, Nate Nagel wrote:

Art Todesco wrote:
Walter R. wrote:
I had a new GE 40 gal gas water heater installed, replacing an old
unit.

We noticed right away that the water temperature in the shower often
needs adjustment when we step in the shower (after the water has been
running for several minutes to allow for cold pipes). The temp is set
fairly low to avoid wasting a lot of hot water. The water coming from
the shower head, after I let it run for 4 minutes, shows between 95
and 105 degree, a 10 degree differential.

Is this normal? I am glad my furnace thermostat is more accurate than
that.

Thanks

If I understand correctly, I have the same problem. ?This is my 5th
water heater
in this house in many, many years. ?This one and the last one behave as
follows:
For the 1st shower in the morning, after setting all night, you have to
use very
little cold water. ?While you are showing, the water heater fires up
(note gas) and
the water gets warmer. ?You then have to add more cold to compensate. ?I
have
pressure balanced valve on both showers, however, pressures don't
change, only
the hot water temperature. ?I heard somewhere, maybe on this group, that
the
newer gas heaters are set up to "float" with the usage. ?This is
supposed to
reduce heat loss, or something like that. ?BTW, all day, when
water is being used (2 retired people), it stays at the higher
temperature. ?It
only ?to gets cooler when you there is no usage for a bunch of hours. ?I
have the
water heater set to the recommended setting which is not anywhere near
the
highest setting. ?Maybe if it were set to a higher setting, you wouldn't
notice it
as much. ? Any comments?
Art

I have noticed the same thing, when I moved into my house the first
shower of the day was never hot enough, but if you were second in line
you got a nice hot one. ?I eventually just raised the tank temp, you
still have to adjust a little, but at least everyone gets a hot shower.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel-

old tanks had poorer insulation, so the temp would drop and burner
come back on to reheat.

new tanks have much better insulation with really low standby losses

The price is temperature falls slowly, tank never gets cold enough to
reheat by morning.

try running some hot water right before bedtime, so the tank reheats.
insulate lines to tank etc to minimize standby losses. thus minimizing
the drop.

manufacturers could design better thermostasts that hold the
temperature closer, but they would cost more.

soon none of this will matter once tanks come from china, price will
be so cheap no one will care

The newer gas water heaters also have a higher temperature differential
thermostat as an energy saving feature. The water has to get colder before
the burner lights so the water is quite a bit hotter just after the burner
goes off than it is just before the burner relights again. When you first
start using water, the temperature can be anywhere between those points,
depending on how long it has been since the burner went off or on. A minor
but noticeable annoyance to me.

Don Young- Hide quoted text -

yeah I mentioned this discussion to a good friend who reported his
tank is the same way. its new installed last year.

a temerature balance valve will solve the problem.

wonder if the water heater manufacturer has a close tolerance
thermostat for customers who complain?

they are replaceable