Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Water heater temperature regulation

"Walter R." wrote in message
I had a new GE 40 gal gas water heater installed, replacing an old unit.

We noticed right away that the water temperature in the shower often needs
adjustment when we step in the shower (after the water has been running
for several minutes to allow for cold pipes). The temp is set fairly low
to avoid wasting a lot of hot water. The water coming from the shower
head, after I let it run for 4 minutes, shows between 95 and 105 degree, a
10 degree differential.

Is this normal? I am glad my furnace thermostat is more accurate than
that.

It may be. Lets look at the whole picture. When you start the shower, the
water is coming from two sources, the water heat that is perhaps 125
degrees, and the cold water that has been sitting in the house at perhaps 68
degrees. You blend the two together to get water that is 105 or so.

After the shower runs for a time, the water in the pipes gets used up. To
replace it, the water comes in from the outside. If you live in the south,
it may be 60 degrees. If you live in the north, it may be 45 degrees. The
ground is very cold right now. Blend that with what is in the heater and
you need to make adjustments. If the water tank is already set very low, it
is difficult to make up that difference.

While you think you may be saving money keeping the temperature set very
low, it may be costing more in the end as you need more of it to get the
same job done. Set it up to about 125 to 130 and see what happens. You may
be much happier and still be very economical. You needs less of the heated
water to get the same comfort level. In any case, you'll have to make
adjustments when the street or well water hits the shower head.