Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How cold is it?

"Five penguins - normally thought to love chilly temperatures - have died
due to exposure to extreme cold at the Nuremberg zoo."

http://www.thelocal.de/society/20090115-16797.html

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On Jan 15, 5:08*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
"Five penguins - normally thought to love chilly temperatures - have died
due to exposure to extreme cold at the Nuremberg zoo."

Out of how many?...

I'd conjecture probably not a large enough group to allow them to form
an effective huddle. If you observe the films in wild, they group in
the hundreds if not thousands and are continually shifting positions
from outside ones forcing way in displacing others so none remain
permanently on the outer edges.

I don't know what the survival rate in the wild is, but certainly they
don't all make it there, either.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dan dan is offline

on 1/15/09 5:08 PM HeyBub said the following:
"Five penguins - normally thought to love chilly temperatures - have died
due to exposure to extreme cold at the Nuremberg zoo."

http://www.thelocal.de/society/20090115-16797.html

Many kinds of penguins http://www.eliasdesigns.com/penguins/general.htm

Probably a warm weather one. All Penguins live in Southern Hemisphere.

Here in SE Wisc it was cold mofo today, high of -3F.
Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
"Five penguins - normally thought to love chilly temperatures - have died
due to exposure to extreme cold at the Nuremberg zoo."

http://www.thelocal.de/society/20090115-16797.html

We don't have any penguins but if anyone is interested in how cold it is
in southeast Iowa just point your browser to
http://www.crsales.com/weather.htm and take a look. It is a very amateur
station that I have rigged up to upload to the Internet every two
minutes. It could be off a degree or two but it is close and it is cold!

Don

Posted to alt.home.repair

IGot2P wrote in :

HeyBub wrote:
"Five penguins - normally thought to love chilly temperatures - have
died due to exposure to extreme cold at the Nuremberg zoo."

http://www.thelocal.de/society/20090115-16797.html

We don't have any penguins but if anyone is interested in how cold it
is in southeast Iowa just point your browser to
http://www.crsales.com/weather.htm and take a look. It is a very
amateur station that I have rigged up to upload to the Internet every
two minutes. It could be off a degree or two but it is close and it is
cold!

Don

Neat. Yep, a tad brisk there I'd say. Haven't personally seen that since
living 45 degrees north latitude in VT. Don't miss that but it was cool
to see the northern lights sometimes.

It says it's 11pm and sunny. Strange place that Iowa :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"G. Morgan" wrote in message
alid...
HeyBub wrote:

"Five penguins - normally thought to love chilly temperatures - have died
due to exposure to extreme cold at the Nuremberg zoo."

Poor little pengies. It's below zero here in upstate NY...I should probably
look for my winter coat...it's a little chilly for just a sweater.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 17:08:29 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

"Five penguins - normally thought to love chilly temperatures - have died
due to exposure to extreme cold at the Nuremberg zoo."

http://www.thelocal.de/society/20090115-16797.html

Penguins are desert birds. Only a few species require low
temperatures.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 15, 10:10*pm, IGot2P wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
"Five penguins - normally thought to love chilly temperatures - have died
due to exposure to extreme cold at the Nuremberg zoo."

http://www.thelocal.de/society/20090115-16797.html

We don't have any penguins but if anyone is interested in how cold it is
in southeast Iowa just point your browser tohttp://www.crsales.com/weather.htmand take a look. It is a very amateur
station that I have rigged up to upload to the Internet every two
minutes. It could be off a degree or two but it is close and it is cold!

Don

Cool site - no pun intended.

One thing caught my eye: Temp -3, Wind 2.9, Windchill -3

I said to myself, "Self, even a wind speed of 2.9 MPH must have some
effect on the windchill."

So I went here and played a bit: http://www.weatherimages.org/data/windchill.html

Using their conversion tool I got these numbers:

Temp Wind Speed Windchill

-3 3.1 -11
-3 3.0 -3
-3 2.9 -3

Then I went he http://www.srh.noaa.gov/elp/wxcalc/windchill.shtml

Temp Wind Speed Windchill

-3 3.1 -10.5
-3 3.0 -10.3
-3 2.9 -10

Any idea why some tools, including your's, don't calculate Wind Chill
at speeds below 3 MPH?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Five penguins - normally thought to love chilly
temperatures

No so. There are even tropical penguins.

- have
died due to exposure to extreme cold at the
Nuremberg zoo."

http://www.thelocal.de/society/20090115-16797.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

"h" wrote in message

"G. Morgan" wrote in message
alid...
HeyBub wrote:

"Five penguins - normally thought to love chilly temperatures -
have died
due to exposure to extreme cold at the Nuremberg zoo."

I don't know about where you are, but here in Texas, it is cold
enough
to freeze an egg on the sidewalk.
Bob-tx

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 16, 11:43*am, "Bob-tx" wrote:
"h" wrote in message

"G. Morgan" wrote in message
valid...
HeyBub wrote:

"Five penguins - normally thought to love chilly temperatures -
have died
due to exposure to extreme cold at the Nuremberg zoo."

I don't know about where you are, but here in Texas, it is cold
enough
to freeze an egg on the sidewalk.
Bob-tx

Someone should call the ASPCA on you.

When it gets this cold, I don't let my chickens play on the sidewalk.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 15, 5:08*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
"Five penguins - normally thought to love chilly temperatures - have died
due to exposure to extreme cold at the Nuremberg zoo."

http://www.thelocal.de/society/20090115-16797.html

-31f just west of Chicago at Aurora airport not including wind chill,
now its about -3f in Chgo not including wind. At least its sunny out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Jan 16, 11:43*am, "Bob-tx" wrote:
"h" wrote in message

"G. Morgan" wrote in message
valid...
HeyBub wrote:

"Five penguins - normally thought to love chilly temperatures -
have died
due to exposure to extreme cold at the Nuremberg zoo."

I don't know about where you are, but here in Texas, it is cold
enough
to freeze an egg on the sidewalk.
Bob-tx

Someone should call the ASPCA on you.

When it gets this cold, I don't let my chickens play on the sidewalk.

Let's see, uh, weatherunderground.com says its 72.5 here. I don't own a
thermometer but it sure feels like 76 to me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:
On Jan 15, 5:08 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
"Five penguins - normally thought to love chilly temperatures - have
died due to exposure to extreme cold at the Nuremberg zoo."

Out of how many?...

I'd conjecture probably not a large enough group to allow them to form
an effective huddle. If you observe the films in wild, they group in
the hundreds if not thousands and are continually shifting positions
from outside ones forcing way in displacing others so none remain
permanently on the outer edges.

I don't know what the survival rate in the wild is, but certainly they
don't all make it there, either.

Good point. There were 45 apparently. Another point is that they are Jackass
and Humboldt which I don't think are Antartic residents.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 10:43:14 -0600, "Bob-tx"
wrote:

"h" wrote in message

"G. Morgan" wrote in message
alid...
HeyBub wrote:

"Five penguins - normally thought to love chilly temperatures -
have died
due to exposure to extreme cold at the Nuremberg zoo."

I don't know about where you are, but here in Texas, it is cold
enough
to freeze an egg on the sidewalk.
Bob-tx

That was before the heat wave we just had.