Posted to alt.home.repair
Lab Lab is offline

Default Why is Snow getting into Our attic through the Vents?

We have a two story house (Ontario Canada). We bought this nice
house, newly re shingled. For some reason our roof vents let in snow
into the attic, it does not happen all the time. They are typical
rubber vents, 4 inch high or so. 12inch square. I see how this can
happen, the wind blow the snow in, even though it is installed
properly. It only happens when we have a heavy snow fall. Does
everyone have this problem or am I missing something? thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Lab wrote in news:3a123218-7582-4d52-a112-cf2cd21563b2
@n10g2000vbl.googlegroups.com:

We have a two story house (Ontario Canada). We bought this nice
house, newly re shingled. For some reason our roof vents let in snow
into the attic, it does not happen all the time. They are typical
rubber vents, 4 inch high or so. 12inch square. I see how this can
happen, the wind blow the snow in, even though it is installed
properly. It only happens when we have a heavy snow fall. Does
everyone have this problem or am I missing something? thanks.

Wonder if there's a piece of fiberglass/plastic mesh missing. You see that
mesh on the underside of ridge venting. Maybe take a look at the ones in
the home center next time you go by.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 20:41:53 -0800 (PST), Lab
wrote:

We have a two story house (Ontario Canada). We bought this nice
house, newly re shingled. For some reason our roof vents let in snow
into the attic, it does not happen all the time. They are typical
rubber vents, 4 inch high or so. 12inch square. I see how this can
happen, the wind blow the snow in, even though it is installed
properly. It only happens when we have a heavy snow fall. Does
everyone have this problem or am I missing something? thanks.

My father used to screw plywood over the vents in winter.I'd probably
do the same but I dont have an attic.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

We have a two story house (Ontario Canada). We bought this nice
house, newly re shingled. For some reason our roof vents let in
snow into the attic, it does not happen all the time. They are
typical rubber vents, 4 inch high or so. 12inch square. I see
how this can happen, the wind blow the snow in, even though it is
installed properly. It only happens when we have a heavy snow
fall. Does everyone have this problem or am I missing something?
thanks.

My father used to screw plywood over the vents in winter.I'd probably
do the same but I dont have an attic.

Okay, unless doing so causes the attic to not be adequately vented.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 12, 8:54*am, Jimw wrote:
My father used to screw plywood over the vents in winter.I'd probably
do the same but I dont have an attic.

That's a good way to ensure ice damming and LOTS of water running in.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

We have a two story house (Ontario Canada). We bought this nice
house, newly re shingled. For some reason our roof vents let in snow
into the attic, it does not happen all the time. They are typical
rubber vents, 4 inch high or so. 12inch square. I see how this can
happen, the wind blow the snow in, even though it is installed
properly. It only happens when we have a heavy snow fall. Does
everyone have this problem or am I missing something? thanks.

tHE FURTHERST north I"ve ever lived is Chicago. You have square 12x12
inch vents? 4 inches high, pointed up, open at the top and bottom?

That's pretty big, how could the snow not get in?

How mnay do you have?

I have a roof fan and when it rains the water bounces off the roof and
some gets through the screen, the part above the roof, and into the
motor area and falls onto the attic floor. Hasn't caused any
problems. (There was just fiberglass there, but now there's some
plywood so I can walk around up there.) (Sometimes I wonder if this
makes the fan motor slow down and stop earlier.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lab Lab is offline

thank you all. So basically what you are saying is that a couple of
hand fulls of snow will not do any damage?

Ridge vents and attic fan DesignGuy Home Repair 11 August 8th 07 08:35 PM
Attic vents Sidney Schwartz Home Repair 36 April 13th 06 09:20 PM
Attic vents Ronald' Home Repair 0 April 6th 06 09:34 AM
No soffit vents, no roof or ridge vents. How do I finish my attic?? Yank_fan_2965 Home Repair 9 December 31st 05 05:37 AM
Attic vents [email protected] Home Repair 5 October 6th 05 04:18 AM