Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Why is Snow getting into Our attic through the Vents?

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 20:41:53 -0800 (PST), Lab
wrote:

We have a two story house (Ontario Canada). We bought this nice
house, newly re shingled. For some reason our roof vents let in snow
into the attic, it does not happen all the time. They are typical
rubber vents, 4 inch high or so. 12inch square. I see how this can
happen, the wind blow the snow in, even though it is installed
properly. It only happens when we have a heavy snow fall. Does
everyone have this problem or am I missing something? thanks.

tHE FURTHERST north I"ve ever lived is Chicago. You have square 12x12
inch vents? 4 inches high, pointed up, open at the top and bottom?

That's pretty big, how could the snow not get in?

How mnay do you have?

I have a roof fan and when it rains the water bounces off the roof and
some gets through the screen, the part above the roof, and into the
motor area and falls onto the attic floor. Hasn't caused any
problems. (There was just fiberglass there, but now there's some
plywood so I can walk around up there.) (Sometimes I wonder if this
makes the fan motor slow down and stop earlier.