Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ridge vents and attic fan

I'm getting ready to have a new roof installed (tear-off old and replace),
and had a question. Right now my roof does not have ridge vents, it does
however have several passive vents ("turtle" vents?), plus one atfic fan
with a thermostat. The soffets are vented also.

Should ridge vents be included in the new roof?

Posted to alt.home.repair

DesignGuy wrote:
I'm getting ready to have a new roof installed (tear-off old and
replace), and had a question. Right now my roof does not have ridge
vents, it does however have several passive vents ("turtle" vents?),
plus one atfic fan with a thermostat. The soffets are vented also.

Should ridge vents be included in the new roof?

The ridge vent should not be used with other roof mounted or gable end
vents. They can disrupt the air flow through the attic. A properly setup
ridge/soffit vent system does not need to have power roof vents to help move
hot air out of the attic. Whole house fans work great with a ridge/soffit
vent system. We do not consider them the same thing as the power roof
vents.

How do I figure how much ridge vent I need to use?
Take the square footage of house under roof X .48 divide this number by 20
(for V-600 products), by 17 (for V-400E or X-5) or by 13.5 (for V-300 or
Fold-A-Vent products) this will give the lineal feet of product needed to
meet a 1/150 vent ratio. If you are only going for a 1/300 (code minimum)
vent ratio divide the above result by two. REMEMBER there MUST be an equal
amount of soffit vent (in NFVA) to balance the ridge vent.

http://www.cor-a-vent.com/ventilation-faqs.cfm

Hope that helps

Clark

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

Have a nice nail over ridgevent installed. Loose the turbines and fan. The
fan will suck ac air out of your house by causing negative pressure in the
attic.

"DesignGuy" wrote in message
I'm getting ready to have a new roof installed (tear-off old and replace),
and had a question. Right now my roof does not have ridge vents, it does
however have several passive vents ("turtle" vents?), plus one atfic fan
with a thermostat. The soffets are vented also.

Should ridge vents be included in the new roof?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DesignGuy" wrote in message
I'm getting ready to have a new roof installed (tear-off old and replace),
and had a question. Right now my roof does not have ridge vents, it does
however have several passive vents ("turtle" vents?), plus one atfic fan
with a thermostat. The soffets are vented also.

Should ridge vents be included in the new roof?

I go into a lot of attics. The ones that rely solely on ridge vents for air
flow are always the hottest. I think that they are good to have for a
minimal amount of air flow, but I would keep the other vents and attic fan
as well to help bring the temperature down. Also good and many soffit vents
are important.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DesignGuy" wrote
I'm getting ready to have a new roof installed (tear-off old and
replace), and had a question. Right now my roof does not have ridge
vents, it does however have several passive vents ("turtle" vents?), plus
one atfic fan with a thermostat. The soffets are vented also.

Should ridge vents be included in the new roof?

Just hire HomeDepot to do the work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 7, 9:15 pm, wrote:
Add a ridge vent. Dont lose power fan. Anyone who claims they arent
necessary is foolish.

On Aug 7, 4:08 pm, "DesignGuy" wrote:

I'm getting ready to have a new roof installed (tear-off old and replace),
and had a question. Right now my roof does not have ridge vents, it does
however have several passive vents ("turtle" vents?), plus one atfic fan
with a thermostat. The soffets are vented also.

Should ridge vents be included in the new roof?- Hide quoted text -

There are two very different opinions on this and I've yet to see any
actual study that shows which idea is right.

1 - The more ventilation you have, especially static vents, the
better. The idea here is that hot air rises and will make it's way
from the soffits out any top vents, be they ridge, gable, can vents,
etc. So, if you have a gable or other static vent, leave it in place
when adding the ridge vent.

2 - Having a ridge vent, with a gable, can vent, etc will shortcircuit
the air flow, with air coming in the gable, out the ridge, without
properly cooling the attic,

I tend to believe in 1 myself. With a power vent placed close to
another vent, like a gable though, I could see some short circuiting
going on there, making the power vent not worth it.

If anyone has seen any actual test data, it would be interesting,

Posted to alt.home.repair

I find it hard to believe that SO much hot air will rise on its own to
the ridge vent that the attic will be cool. A fan mounted close to
the peak can only move more air.
Doesnt seem like there should be controversy over it. Getting a new
roof is expensive but how much will adding a ridge vent and and attic
fan cost? Not much

On Aug 7, 11:19 pm, wrote:
On Aug 7, 9:15 pm, wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

You ignore cost of electricty to run the fan and conditioned air being
pulled out of house.

ups.com...

On Aug 7, 11:19 pm, wrote:
On Aug 7, 9:15 pm, wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

have had several jobs with plenty of ridge vent and soffit vents still
to hot . i put in next larger size power vent(s) than needed along with
ridge vent and attic and inside home then stayed cooler in summer. lucas

Posted to alt.home.repair

Cost of electricity? A few dollars per YEAR? Big deal!! Air
conditioning being sucked out- If air was being sucked out the attic
wouldn't be so hot would it. In a dead air space such as above roof
in a finished attic how much air can possibly be sucked out? Fans are
a must for anyone living in an area subject to high heat.

On Aug 8, 10:33 am, "Art" wrote:
You ignore cost of electricty to run the fan and conditioned air being
pulled out of house.

ups.com...

On Aug 7, 11:19 pm, wrote:
On Aug 7, 9:15 pm, wrote:

[...]

If anyone has seen any actual test data, it would be interesting,- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

Maybe you exaggerate. What if fan runs as directed by t-stat? And
thus
avoids roasting (literally the past situation in my house) roofing and
framing?

Not to mention keeping things substantially cooler at peak temps
above
ceiling of floor below. Resulting in noticeably lower afternoon temp
rise below
on August afternoons. I'll take that any day.

A cheap and simple seal around door to attic, and your second phobia
is toast.

Not to mention that the floor immediately below is "conditioned" by
being
opened to ambient at night with small fan assist.

On Aug 8, 10:33 am, "Art" wrote:
You ignore cost of electricty to run the fan and conditioned air being
pulled out of house.

ups.com...

Ridge Vents JA Home Repair 5 June 26th 06 05:39 PM
No soffit vents, no roof or ridge vents. How do I finish my attic?? Yank_fan_2965 Home Repair 9 December 31st 05 05:37 AM
Ridge Vents Peter Wells Home Repair 1 September 23rd 05 02:08 AM
ridge vents Choreboy Home Repair 24 August 22nd 05 07:30 PM
Ridge Vents - How do Old 3 stories survive without? Barry Feldman Home Repair 10 August 31st 04 10:17 PM