Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

Default Ridge vents and attic fan

You ignore cost of electricty to run the fan and conditioned air being
pulled out of house.

wrote in message
ups.com...
I find it hard to believe that SO much hot air will rise on its own to
the ridge vent that the attic will be cool. A fan mounted close to
the peak can only move more air.
Doesnt seem like there should be controversy over it. Getting a new
roof is expensive but how much will adding a ridge vent and and attic
fan cost? Not much

On Aug 7, 11:19 pm, wrote:
On Aug 7, 9:15 pm, wrote:

Add a ridge vent. Dont lose power fan. Anyone who claims they arent
necessary is foolish.

On Aug 7, 4:08 pm, "DesignGuy" wrote:

I'm getting ready to have a new roof installed (tear-off old and
replace),
and had a question. Right now my roof does not have ridge vents, it
does
however have several passive vents ("turtle" vents?), plus one atfic
fan
with a thermostat. The soffets are vented also.

Should ridge vents be included in the new roof?- Hide quoted text -

There are two very different opinions on this and I've yet to see any
actual study that shows which idea is right.

1 - The more ventilation you have, especially static vents, the
better. The idea here is that hot air rises and will make it's way
from the soffits out any top vents, be they ridge, gable, can vents,
etc. So, if you have a gable or other static vent, leave it in place
when adding the ridge vent.

2 - Having a ridge vent, with a gable, can vent, etc will shortcircuit
the air flow, with air coming in the gable, out the ridge, without
properly cooling the attic,

I tend to believe in 1 myself. With a power vent placed close to
another vent, like a gable though, I could see some short circuiting
going on there, making the power vent not worth it.

If anyone has seen any actual test data, it would be interesting,