Old January 9th 09, 04:23 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tile choices over linoleum and/or plywood.

I want to put down a new kitchen floor in a property that I recently bought
and that I will be renting out.

For now, I just want to do something that will make it look good without
having to re-do the whole kitchen. I may re-do the kitchen at a later date.
What is there now is a very solid piece of linoleum that is probably glued
down over 1/4-inch plywood or Luan. I haven't tried peeling up the linoleum
yet, and I am avoiding doing that for now in case one option will be to just
tile over the existing linoleum.

I'm thinking my first option would be to clean the linoleum well and just
put peel-and-stick tiles over the linoleum for now. If peel-and-stick is
not a good idea, my second option would be putting some other type of vinyl
tiles over the linoleum using a mastic adhesive. Or, if for mastic it would
be better to try taking up the linoleum and use the mastic for the new tiles
over what is left underneath, that would be my third option. A fourth
option would be to put a sheet of linoleum/congoleum down on top of the
existing linoleum.

Any thoughts or suggestions regarding any of these options would be
appreciated.

Thanks.

P.S. I like ceramic tile, and I would do that if I it didn't involve having
to take up the existing plywood or Luan underlayment. But, from everything
I've read here and elsewhere, I don't think ceramic tile over anything that
is there now would work even though the existing linoleum is very solid.

Old January 9th 09, 04:33 PM posted to alt.home.repair

In article >,
"RonABC" > wrote:

> I want to put down a new kitchen floor in a property that I recently bought
> and that I will be renting out.
>
> For now, I just want to do something that will make it look good without
> having to re-do the whole kitchen. I may re-do the kitchen at a later date.
> What is there now is a very solid piece of linoleum that is probably glued
> down over 1/4-inch plywood or Luan. I haven't tried peeling up the linoleum
> yet, and I am avoiding doing that for now in case one option will be to just
> tile over the existing linoleum.
>
> I'm thinking my first option would be to clean the linoleum well and just
> put peel-and-stick tiles over the linoleum for now. If peel-and-stick is
> not a good idea, my second option would be putting some other type of vinyl
> tiles over the linoleum using a mastic adhesive. Or, if for mastic it would
> be better to try taking up the linoleum and use the mastic for the new tiles
> over what is left underneath, that would be my third option. A fourth
> option would be to put a sheet of linoleum/congoleum down on top of the
> existing linoleum.
>
> Any thoughts or suggestions regarding any of these options would be
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>
> P.S. I like ceramic tile, and I would do that if I it didn't involve having
> to take up the existing plywood or Luan underlayment. But, from everything
> I've read here and elsewhere, I don't think ceramic tile over anything that
> is there now would work even though the existing linoleum is very solid.

I think your most reasonable option is sheet vinyl, installed by a
professional on top of what's there now. This is not a DIY job for the
inexperienced.
Old January 9th 09, 06:23 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 9, 10:23*am, "RonABC" > wrote:
> I want to put down a new kitchen floor in a property that I recently bought
> and that I will be renting out.
>
> For now, I just want to do something that will make it look good without
> having to re-do the whole kitchen. *I may re-do the kitchen at a later date.
> What is there now is a very solid piece of linoleum that is probably glued
> down over 1/4-inch plywood or Luan. *I haven't tried peeling up the linoleum
> yet, and I am avoiding doing that for now in case one option will be to just
> tile over the existing linoleum.
>
> I'm thinking my first option would be to clean the linoleum well and just
> put peel-and-stick tiles over the linoleum for now. *If peel-and-stick is
> not a good idea, my second option would be putting some other type of vinyl
> tiles over the linoleum using a mastic adhesive. *Or, if for mastic it would
> be better to try taking up the linoleum and use the mastic for the new tiles
> over what is left underneath, that would be my third option. *A fourth
> option would be to put a sheet of linoleum/congoleum down on top of the
> existing linoleum.
>
> Any thoughts or suggestions regarding any of these options would be
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>
> P.S. *I like ceramic tile, and I would do that if I it didn't involve having
> to take up the existing plywood or Luan underlayment. *But, from everything
> I've read here and elsewhere, I don't think ceramic tile over anything that
> is there now would work even though the existing linoleum is very solid.

I got a fairly decent peel and stick at HD, but it needed a primer and
roller is mandatory. It has a 2 part glue that a heavy roller opens
the seal so it bonds well. You have options
Old January 9th 09, 09:52 PM posted to alt.home.repair

My wife and I just bought a house and were in the very same
situation. Didn't feel like taking up the luan et al. At our
previous house, we had completely redone the floor, using new flooring
and laying tiles on cement board. With this new place, that wasn't
really an option we felt like going through. So when we were hitting
up Home Depot & Lowes, we came across this stuff:

http://www.schluter.com/6_1_ditra.aspx

We were able to retile our upstairs bathroom in maybe four hours, not
counting the time it took to rip up the old linoleum and to remove the
trim. It's more expensive than cement board, and you'll use more
mortar because of the way it works, but holy crap. It's lightweight,
easy to cut... the ultimate test will be seeing what it's like in two
years or five years.

Old January 9th 09, 11:50 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Can you explain what you mean a little more?

I assume that you are referring to the regular peel-and-stick tile that HD
sells, correct?

By "primer", do you mean some type of primer to be painted onto the linoleum
first before putting down the peel-and-stick tiles? If so, any particular
type of primer? I know Zinsser makes a shellac-based primer called B-I-N
that can be used on slick surfaced such as laminate cabinets

Peel-and-stick tiles have 2-part glue? I didn't know that.

Old January 9th 09, 11:56 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" > wrote in message
news

> I think your most reasonable option is sheet vinyl, installed by a
> professional on top of what's there now. This is not a DIY job for the
> inexperienced.

Thanks. That may be an option, and even though I think I could do the
installation, I like the idea of having someone else do it who does these
types of installations for a living.

Old January 10th 09, 04:13 AM posted to alt.home.repair

In article >,
"RonABC" > wrote:

> "Smitty Two" > wrote in message
> news
> >
> > I think your most reasonable option is sheet vinyl, installed by a
> > professional on top of what's there now. This is not a DIY job for the
> > inexperienced.

> Thanks. That may be an option, and even though I think I could do the
> installation, I like the idea of having someone else do it who does these
> types of installations for a living.

Yeah, I'd stick with that approach. It might look easy, but that's one
job that I personally believe requires quite a bit of finesse, and only
one chance to get it right.

I'd stay away from the peel 'n' stick altogether.

If you decide to do tile, that'd give you a more modern upscale look and
maybe command a bit more rent if the rest of the house is on par. I'd
consider a DIY tile job with no experience, but I wouldn't even think
about doing vinyl myself.
Old January 10th 09, 06:36 AM posted to alt.home.repair

RonABC wrote:

> P.S. I like ceramic tile, and I would do that if I it didn't involve having
> to take up the existing plywood or Luan underlayment. But, from everything
> I've read here and elsewhere, I don't think ceramic tile over anything that
> is there now would work even though the existing linoleum is very solid.

Like ceramic? - then use ceramic.

This system works over any sound linoleum (except cushion-backed):

http://www.mapei.it/Referenze/Multim...tic_TDS_EA.pdf
Old January 10th 09, 11:14 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 9 Jan 2009 11:23:57 -0500, "RonABC" > wrote:

>I want to put down a new kitchen floor in a property that I recently bought
>and that I will be renting out.
>
>For now, I just want to do something that will make it look good without
>having to re-do the whole kitchen. I may re-do the kitchen at a later date.
>What is there now is a very solid piece of linoleum that is probably glued
>down over 1/4-inch plywood or Luan. I haven't tried peeling up the linoleum
>yet, and I am avoiding doing that for now in case one option will be to just
>tile over the existing linoleum.
>
>I'm thinking my first option would be to clean the linoleum well and just
>put peel-and-stick tiles over the linoleum for now. If peel-and-stick is
>not a good idea, my second option would be putting some other type of vinyl
>tiles over the linoleum using a mastic adhesive. Or, if for mastic it would
>be better to try taking up the linoleum and use the mastic for the new tiles
>over what is left underneath, that would be my third option. A fourth
>option would be to put a sheet of linoleum/congoleum down on top of the
>existing linoleum.
>
>Any thoughts or suggestions regarding any of these options would be
>appreciated.
>
>Thanks.
>
>P.S. I like ceramic tile, and I would do that if I it didn't involve having
>to take up the existing plywood or Luan underlayment. But, from everything
>I've read here and elsewhere, I don't think ceramic tile over anything that
>is there now would work even though the existing linoleum is very solid.

I worked for a flooring company years ago.

Dont waste your money on peel and press (P&P) tiles. They never hold
up well. You can get a similar tile without the self adhesive for
less money. Then buy some mastic adhesive (made for the tile), and
use that. The job actually goes faster without having to fight with
all that backing paper. Start your tile in the center of the room
using a chalk line. Then spread the mastic in part of the room, and
lay those tiles. There are instructions for laying tile on most tile
boxes or look on the web.

I once put down a floor using mastic on P&P tiles and it held up well,
but that was only because the tiles were already purchased. It took 3
times longer because of all that backing paper, and in the end was a
waste of money to buy the P&P tile.

I've done several floors using just the P&P tile and all of them ended
up being a poor quality floor which needed replacement in a year or
two because the tiles kept coming off. And for a rental it will be
worse because when tenants have tiles come off, they dont fix them
like you would do in your own home. I know all about this having been
a landlord for a while (a job I'd never do again).

Get a decent vinyl tile and some mastic and you will get a floor that
lasts. However, if the linoleum was waxed with floor wax, you MUST
remove that wax for ANY tile to adhere. They sell a wax remover, or
you can run a floor sander over the surface to remove the wax and
glaze. If you do sand, beware of going too deep because you could hit
the backing which might be asbestos (gray). You dont want that in the
air from sanding. It's harmless to remove without a sander though.

If you want wax remover, I would suggest a flooring store, not a big
box home repair place. I doubt they carry it.
Old January 11th 09, 02:46 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" > wrote in message
news
>> Thanks. That may be an option, and even though I think I could do the
>> installation, I like the idea of having someone else do it who does these
>> types of installations for a living.

> Yeah, I'd stick with that approach. It might look easy, but that's one
> job that I personally believe requires quite a bit of finesse, and only
> one chance to get it right.

The good news is that I measured the kitchen again yesterday and it is
11'-6" X 15"-6". So, the installers could put down a new floor using a
12-foot roll and not have to ahve any seams in the middle.

I am noticing that the big box stores such as HD and Lowes seem to have less
and less in terms of different styles etc. to choose from -- both for tiles
and sheet flooring. So, I'll have to see if I can find a place that has
more choices and can do the installation. I heard an ad on the radio this
morning about a place called Floors USA, but they only have one store in my
area and it is too far away to be worth making the trip.