Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ceramic tile over linoleum

My House is a one story house built on a concrete slab. I have Linoleum or
Vinyl floor in my kitchen and baths and want to go with Ceramic tile. I have
had multiple people tell me they would just put it down over the linoleum
that I do not need to try to take the linoleum up but this just seems wrong
to me. The linoleum does appear to be stuck to the concrete good and I would
think getting it up would be a royal pain in the butt but this just seems
bad to me. Has anyone here had any experience with putting Ceramic tile over
linoleum? Is doing this OK?

Thanks
Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 07:53:43 -0600, "Just Joe" not given @bogus.com
wrote:

My House is a one story house built on a concrete slab. I have Linoleum or
Vinyl floor in my kitchen and baths and want to go with Ceramic tile. I have
had multiple people tell me they would just put it down over the linoleum
that I do not need to try to take the linoleum up but this just seems wrong
to me. The linoleum does appear to be stuck to the concrete good and I would
think getting it up would be a royal pain in the butt but this just seems
bad to me. Has anyone here had any experience with putting Ceramic tile over
linoleum? Is doing this OK?

Thanks
Joe

Absolutely Joe !

Make sure all debris is cleaned off before you start and ensure you
seal the grout asap.

I've done this a few times over the years.

Regards
Dale
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ken Ken is offline

Just Joe wrote:
My House is a one story house built on a concrete slab. I have Linoleum or
Vinyl floor in my kitchen and baths and want to go with Ceramic tile. I have
had multiple people tell me they would just put it down over the linoleum
that I do not need to try to take the linoleum up but this just seems wrong
to me. The linoleum does appear to be stuck to the concrete good and I would
think getting it up would be a royal pain in the butt but this just seems
bad to me. Has anyone here had any experience with putting Ceramic tile over
linoleum? Is doing this OK?

Thanks
Joe

I don't know how successful such a practice would be, as I had a
similar situation and I removed my linoleum because it was starting to
lift at seams. You are right, it IS a task. What I would caution you
about is this: Ceramic tile is NOT cheap, and it IS permanent. That
permanence is both an asset and a liability in that if it needs to come
up due to the linoleum coming loose, you will have an even larger
problem than you have now. I have seen people try to take short cuts
with a ceramic tile installation only to need to remove it and start
over. Like the old saying said, "You can pay me now or pay me later."
Good luck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

How about Liquid Nails to secure sections of concrete board
to the existing flooring material, then tile on that?
http://www.liquidnails.com/ViewProdu...do?productId=6