Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Toilet Woes

Hello All:

I'm hoping that someone out there can point me in the right direction
on this one.

I was replacing the guts of a toilet for a friend of mine and
installed a flowmaster ballcock. This ballcock is of the newer type
with a cylinder that just rises up and down on the inlet tube and
shuts the water off when it rises high enough. The problem that I'm
having is that it will leak every few seconds, pass a bit of water and
then shut off again. I adjusted the shutoff point to a lower setting
but am still experiencing the problem.

I've still got the receipt and could take it back to the Borg, but
thought that perhaps I was missing something.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated !!

Peter H
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Peter H" wrote in message
Hello All:

I'm hoping that someone out there can point me in the right direction
on this one.

I was replacing the guts of a toilet for a friend of mine and
installed a flowmaster ballcock. This ballcock is of the newer type
with a cylinder that just rises up and down on the inlet tube and
shuts the water off when it rises high enough. The problem that I'm
having is that it will leak every few seconds, pass a bit of water and
then shut off again. I adjusted the shutoff point to a lower setting
but am still experiencing the problem.

I've still got the receipt and could take it back to the Borg, but
thought that perhaps I was missing something.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated !!

Peter H

Sounds like the flapper is leaking a small amount of water into the bowl and
when the level drops enough the inlet valve refills the tank. For the $3-4
for a good one I would try this first.

You can test by allowing the tank to fill and adding food color to the tank
water. If any color shows in the bowl, you have confirmed it is the
flapper.

Proper water level is about 1 inch below the overflow tub.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 5, 9:38*am, "Colbyt" wrote:
"Peter H" wrote in message

[...]

Please come visit *www.househomerepair.com- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the reply Colbyt. I replaced the overflow tube and flapper
at the same time. When I checked it it didn't appear to be leaking
water, but perhaps I missed that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 5, 9:48*am, Peter H wrote:
On Jan 5, 9:38*am, "Colbyt" wrote:

"Peter H" wrote in message

[...]

water, but perhaps I missed that.- Hide quoted text -

The water that is coming in has to be going somewhere, either over the
top of the overflow tube, through leaking flap, etc. Leaking flap is
the classic that produces that symptom. You can check by putting
some food dye in the tank and seeing if it appears in the bowl. If
leaking, try cleaning the flapper seat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Jan 5, 9:48 am, Peter H wrote:

On Jan 5, 9:38 am, "Colbyt" wrote:

"Peter H" wrote in message

[...]

With some refill valves, having the little refill tube sticking too far
down into the overflow tube will cause that tube to syphon water out of
the tank, causing the kind of symptoms you describe.

That open end of that little refill tube should not be lower than the
normal tank water level.

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 5, 8:44*am, Peter H wrote:
Hello All:

I'm hoping that someone out there can point me in the right direction
on this one.

I was replacing the guts of a toilet for a friend of mine and
installed a flowmaster ballcock. This ballcock is of the newer type
with a cylinder that just rises up and down on the inlet tube and
shuts the water off when it rises high enough. The problem that I'm
having is that it will leak every few seconds, pass a bit of water and
then shut off again. I adjusted the shutoff point to a lower setting
but am still experiencing the problem.

I've still got the receipt and could take it back to the Borg, but
thought that perhaps I was missing something.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated !!

Peter H

Get one of these:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...1LG&lpage=none

It won't stop the leak, but it will stop the tank from refilling after
the leak.

Who's brainchild was that device anyway? Why wouldn't someone just fix
the leak in the first place?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 5 Jan 2009 05:44:19 -0800 (PST), Peter H
wrote:

Hello All:

I'm hoping that someone out there can point me in the right direction
on this one.

I was replacing the guts of a toilet for a friend of mine and
installed a flowmaster ballcock. This ballcock is of the newer type
with a cylinder that just rises up and down on the inlet tube and
shuts the water off when it rises high enough. The problem that I'm
having is that it will leak every few seconds, pass a bit of water and
then shut off again. I adjusted the shutoff point to a lower setting
but am still experiencing the problem.

I've still got the receipt and could take it back to the Borg, but
thought that perhaps I was missing something.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated !!

Peter H

Do you mean Fluidmaster as opposed to Flowmaster?

You say a cylinder rises up and down. If this is what I am picturing
then the bottom of this rising tube seals against a rubber washer.
This could be where you are leaking. Remove the washer and clean
the groove that it goes into and also clean the seating area for the
washer. Now coat the groove and the washer and the washer seat
with Vaseline and re-assemble. This valve should no longer leak.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 5, 11:47*am, Jeff Wisnia wrote:
wrote:
On Jan 5, 9:48 am, Peter H wrote:

On Jan 5, 9:38 am, "Colbyt" wrote:

"Peter H" wrote in message

[...]

The speed of light is 1.8*10^12 furlongs per fortnight.- Hide quoted text -

Hi Jeff:

I suspect that this is the problem. I thought I should have snipped
that thing off !! I'll try it and see what happens !!

Thanks,

Peter H

Toto toilet seat broken hold to toilet allan Home Repair 8 November 15th 15 10:08 PM
Toilet - Round two pieces vs one piece toilet Arpil Home Repair 7 January 26th 07 09:35 PM
Toilet woes Bonnie Home Ownership 4 April 13th 05 07:11 PM
Toilet brands (toilet question followup) Steven O. Home Ownership 5 March 24th 04 06:40 PM