Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] tnom@mucks.net is offline

Default Toilet Woes

On Mon, 5 Jan 2009 05:44:19 -0800 (PST), Peter H
wrote:

Hello All:

I'm hoping that someone out there can point me in the right direction
on this one.

I was replacing the guts of a toilet for a friend of mine and
installed a flowmaster ballcock. This ballcock is of the newer type
with a cylinder that just rises up and down on the inlet tube and
shuts the water off when it rises high enough. The problem that I'm
having is that it will leak every few seconds, pass a bit of water and
then shut off again. I adjusted the shutoff point to a lower setting
but am still experiencing the problem.

I've still got the receipt and could take it back to the Borg, but
thought that perhaps I was missing something.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated !!

Peter H

Do you mean Fluidmaster as opposed to Flowmaster?

You say a cylinder rises up and down. If this is what I am picturing
then the bottom of this rising tube seals against a rubber washer.
This could be where you are leaking. Remove the washer and clean
the groove that it goes into and also clean the seating area for the
washer. Now coat the groove and the washer and the washer seat
with Vaseline and re-assemble. This valve should no longer leak.