Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gas Furnace - what parts to stock for emergencies?

On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 11:48:41 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Jan 2, 1:06*pm, wrote:
What parts are good to keep on hand for a gas furnace? I have 2 Trane/
American Standard gas furnaces in the basement, about 7 years old. I
just replaced the pressure switches, and the ignitor on one of them
(went bad at 6 PM on New Year's Eve...). So today I am ordering a
spare ignitor, as it will fit either furnace and I DON'T want to pay
another $500 emergency call-out for such a simple part.
So what else should I keep on hand? I.e., what items have a fair-
chance of total failure, can be installed by a DIY-er, and aren't
extremely expensive? In my experience, pressure switches are pretty
inexpensive, but they can be cleaned / blown out, so you have time to
order a new one after they start going bad.

If you reply, I would greatly appreciate it if you could also respond
directly to my email address. Thanks in advance,
*- Erik

However many parts you buy to keep on hand, it'll be the one you
*don't* have that will break on a freezing cold holiday weekend.

It is just not reasonable to cover all possibilities. I do
keep an old vent-less gas heater. I can hook it up in short order if
needed and it can provide enough emergency heat to prevent any serious
issues. If the gas goes out, I have a few electric heaters that can
do likewise therefore I would need both gas and electric to go out
before I would have a problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Let me know when you get up to the monkeys flying out of your butt (grin
here). There is only just so much you can do to prepare. You're ahead of 98%
of the US population, in terms of preparations. After a while, it's over
kill.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus