Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gas Furnace - what parts to stock for emergencies?

On Jan 2, 4:03�pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
wrote:
What parts are good to keep on hand for a gas furnace? I have 2 Trane/
American Standard gas furnaces in the basement, about 7 years old. I
just replaced the pressure switches, and the ignitor on one of them
(went bad at 6 PM on New Year's Eve...). So today I am ordering a
spare ignitor, as it will fit either furnace and I DON'T want to pay
another $500 emergency call-out for such a simple part.
So what else should I keep on hand? I.e., what items have a fair-
chance of total failure, can be installed by a DIY-er, and aren't
extremely expensive? In my experience, pressure switches are pretty
inexpensive, but they can be cleaned / blown out, so you have time to
order a new one after they start going bad.

Or have an alternate heat source - the oven or clothes dryer, wood for the
fireplace; $50 for a night at the motel.

50 bucks for a nite at a hotel doesnt prevent frozen water sewer and
toilets
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 2, 3:26*pm, " wrote:
On Jan 2, 4:03 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

wrote:
[...]

You'd have to have a pretty extreme climate to have the toilets freeze
in 24-48 hours after the furnace craps out.

For less than $100, you could buy 3-4 cheap electric heaters, which
should give you 12-24 hours (maybe more) of emergency heat.

To the OP, if you had 2 furnaces, than at least one was working at
6:00 PM on NYE. I guess you and I are really different people, but I
could tolerate cold in 1/2 my house for 36 hours if it meant paying
$500 for a holiday service call. Am I missing something here?

JK
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 2, 10:07�pm, Big_Jake wrote:
On Jan 2, 3:26�pm, " wrote:

On Jan 2, 4:03 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

wrote:
[...]

JK- Hide quoted text -

if the outside temperature is 20 degrees, a full heat off would freeze
this place fast.

at 30 degrees it drops over 2 degrees a hour

24 hours equals near a 50 degree drop