Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

Default Gas Furnace - what parts to stock for emergencies?

On Jan 2, 1:06*pm, wrote:
What parts are good to keep on hand for a gas furnace? I have 2 Trane/
American Standard gas furnaces in the basement, about 7 years old. I
just replaced the pressure switches, and the ignitor on one of them
(went bad at 6 PM on New Year's Eve...). So today I am ordering a
spare ignitor, as it will fit either furnace and I DON'T want to pay
another $500 emergency call-out for such a simple part.
So what else should I keep on hand? I.e., what items have a fair-
chance of total failure, can be installed by a DIY-er, and aren't
extremely expensive? In my experience, pressure switches are pretty
inexpensive, but they can be cleaned / blown out, so you have time to
order a new one after they start going bad.

If you reply, I would greatly appreciate it if you could also respond
directly to my email address. Thanks in advance,
*- Erik

Ignitor and flame sensor would be the two I'd stock. Had the same
experience as you the first winter I was in my new house; was willing
to pay to get it fixed right away as it went bad just as I was about
to go to bed one evening, but I couldn't get a single service guy to
even bother to come out (unless I had a service contract with the
company, *then* they'd send someone out.) It was cold enough that I
had the oven running and was also moving an electric oil-filled heater
between the upstairs and the basement because I was worried that the
pipes would freeze. Next morning I bought *TWO* ignitors (one to fix
it, one for stock) but have not bothered to get a flame sensor yet.
Probably should, as Murphy says that when it goes it will be at the
least opportune time.

nate