Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Help. New toilet has something collecting in the bowl

I insatlled a new toilet (bowl and tank) a few weeks ago. Everything
looked good, except that now I see some kind of flakes and particles
collecting in the bowl after every flush. It rather looks like wax
from the wax ring. Is it possible that somehow the wax ring is leaking
into the bowl. Does the water somehow flow backwards at the end of the
flush. It looks that way, because the water level first drops and then
comes back again.

I have looked very carefully and there are no particles collecting in
the tank.

Could I have done something wrong in the installation. I am assuming
that the wax ring failing could be quite nasty. I have not caulked the
toilet down to the floor yet. As far as I can see there is almost no
gap between the toilet and the floor, and the toilet is not rocking at
all.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 31, 4:08*pm, TheMightyAtlas wrote:
I installed a new toilet (bowl and tank) a few weeks ago. Everything
looked good, except that now I see some kind of flakes and particles
collecting in the bowl after every flush. It rather looks like wax
from the wax ring. Is it possible that somehow the wax ring is leaking
into the bowl. Does the water somehow flow backwards at the end of the
flush. It looks that way, because the water level first drops and then
comes back again.

I have looked very carefully and there are no particles collecting in
the tank.

Could I have done something wrong in the installation. I am assuming
that the wax ring failing could be quite nasty. I have not caulked the
toilet down to the floor yet. As far as I can see there is almost no
gap between the toilet and the floor, and the toilet is not rocking at
all.

Dust, plaster from the interstices of the bowl? Was it, for example in
storage a long time before sale?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 11:08:11 -0800 (PST), TheMightyAtlas
wrote:

[...]

I would guess it is mostly just the leftovers from the
castings of the parts and will soon disappear.
Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

wrote:

[...]

castings of the parts and will soon disappear.- Hide quoted text -

either that or bad porcilen finish
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Dec 31 2008, 1:08*pm, TheMightyAtlas
wrote:
[...]

Wax particles will float. Internal glaze breaking off will leave
particles settling at the bottom. If the latter is what you see, the
stool is defective. Remove and replace with a better brand and check
the trap for quality glazing first.

Joe