Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Toilet bowl puzzlement

One of our bowls develops a dark matter formed at the water line in
the bowl made up of discrete "pieces". It flakes off easily but
reforms again in a short period of time. Other three don't do
similarly. City water instead of well. It's a Mansfield while
another down the hall is American Standard but I can't imagine
porcelain difference, if any, being the cause. Ideas?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
One of our bowls develops a dark matter formed at the water line in
the bowl made up of discrete "pieces". It flakes off easily but
reforms again in a short period of time. Other three don't do
similarly. City water instead of well. It's a Mansfield while
another down the hall is American Standard but I can't imagine
porcelain difference, if any, being the cause. Ideas?

Could be that is the one frequently used by one of the kids who does not
always flush the urine? It may not be very noticeable, but if not flushed,
urine contains a lot of solids and it can build up over time.

Is it in the line someplace that minerals in the water would tend to
collect?