Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Devcon Blue Threadlocker

I used a new tube of this locktite a week ago and spilled it on
plastic, it is still liqued, how can it work since it hasnt cured,
doesnt Blue locktite cure hard? Is my tube a defect or old.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 21, 6:49*pm, bq340 wrote:
ransley wrote:
I used a new tube of this locktite a week ago and spilled it on
plastic, it is still liqued, how can it work since it hasnt cured,
doesnt Blue locktite cure hard? Is my tube a defect or old.

It does not cure until oxygen is not present or it would harden in the
tube...

MikeB

Where is Oxygen not present. So do I ship it to Nasa for a space ride,
that makes no sense, locktite use is common on earth.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
bq340 wrote:

ransley wrote:
I used a new tube of this locktite a week ago and spilled it on
plastic, it is still liqued, how can it work since it hasnt cured,
doesnt Blue locktite cure hard? Is my tube a defect or old.

It does not cure until oxygen is not present or it would harden in the
tube...

MikeB

Thats tight, it's whats called an 'anaerobic' adhesive.

See he

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaerobic

and he

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loctite

Erik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 21, 4:44*pm, ransley wrote:
I used a new tube of this locktite a week ago and spilled it on
plastic, it is still liqued, how can it work since it hasnt cured,
doesnt Blue locktite cure hard? Is my tube a defect or old.

as per the other replies......loctites are anaerobic adhesives..

specialily formulated to harden in the interstitial space between male
& female fastening elements (or between rod & hole as for slip fits
or bearings in a recess)

Loctite stays liquid & uncured in the bottle or tube because of the
air contained within.

Blue loctite cures "hard" but can be defeated with hand tools...red
loctites usually require high heat to defeat.

Lotittes that I typically use

242, 243 "blue types" 243 esp good as a gap filler for Class 1
threads & faster cure
271 "red" "permanent" be sure you really want this assembly to
not come apart or can heat it to 350F+
680 "green" for slip fits

www.mcmaster.com is both a source of loctite & information about
loctites

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 22, 1:01*am, BobK207 wrote:
[...]

I have Locktite on Lockites tube threads and kept the cap tight for a
week, which should have cured it, but the cap came off like it was
greased. But everyone thinks this is normal I guess. I thought maybe
it was a counterfeit batch of chinese Locktite. My snowblower lost 4
screws I didnt Locktite, now I have 25 screws off so I guess I will
find out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 22, 2:15*pm, ransley wrote:
[...]

In order for loctite to work reliably the threads (bolt & nut) must be
clean (grease, oil, dirt free)

Loctite makes primers that REALLY makes the system work. Using
primer makes a huge difference.

Years ago we got tired of MIL-STD type cable connectors "unscrewing"
in the wrong location (at the backshell or strain relief) so we
developed a technique of usinng loctite on the parts of the connectors
that I didn't want to come apart.

We cleaned the parts with a little acetone & a clean rag, primed them
& loctited them with 243........... they never came apart

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 20:04:28 -0500, bq340
wrote:

ransley wrote:
On Dec 21, 6:49 pm, bq340 wrote:
ransley wrote:
I used a new tube of this locktite a week ago and spilled it on
plastic, it is still liqued, how can it work since it hasnt cured,
doesnt Blue locktite cure hard? Is my tube a defect or old.
It does not cure until oxygen is not present or it would harden in the
tube...

MikeB

Where is Oxygen not present. So do I ship it to Nasa for a space ride,
that makes no sense, locktite use is common on earth.

Between the threads & nut? Or as a test- squeeze all the air out of the
tube & put the cap back on.

But if air is in one end of the tube, is there oxygen at the other
end?

I don't know how this stuff works.

MikeB

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

ransley wrote:
On Dec 21, 6:49 pm, bq340 wrote:
ransley wrote:
I used a new tube of this locktite a week ago and spilled it on
plastic, it is still liqued, how can it work since it hasnt cured,
doesnt Blue locktite cure hard? Is my tube a defect or old.
It does not cure until oxygen is not present or it would harden in the
tube...

MikeB

Where is Oxygen not present. So do I ship it to Nasa for a space ride,
that makes no sense, locktite use is common on earth.

Between the threads & nut? Or as a test- squeeze all the air out of the
tube & put the cap back on.

But if air is in one end of the tube, is there oxygen at the other
end?

I don't know how this stuff works.

MikeB- Hide quoted text -

I called Devcon, they said it wont work on plastic so that is why the
tube opens, its metal to metal with pressure with no new air as in a
thread.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

ransley wrote:
On Dec 21, 6:49 pm, bq340 wrote:
ransley wrote:
[...]

Great. From the horse's mouth.

Blue 14/3 ??? gary Home Ownership 0 August 1st 06 07:19 AM
OT - Blue & Red jim rozen Metalworking 238 August 4th 05 05:45 PM
Anything Stronger Than Loctite 271 Threadlocker? Tiziano Metalworking 6 May 22nd 05 09:38 PM
Blue, blue, my world is blue -- is this fixable? Eric Vey Electronics Repair 2 September 24th 03 10:45 PM