Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Adding Outlet to Gas Range

My old gas range had a duplex outlet mounted in the upper frame. There
is no accessible outlet near the range and I used the range outlet for
my slow cooker, bread machine etc. It kept the machines off the main
counter as they spent the long hours needed to do their jobs.

My current range does not have this feature.

I'm pretty sure that I can find room in the upper panel of my range to
mount an outlet, but I'm wondering about the "compliancy" of doing
this. I would tap into the AC wiring where it enters the range and run
the wires up to the panel along side the existing wiring harness.

Before you ask: The wall behind the range contains the ductwork for
the second floor. There is no convenient place to put an outlet. The
only open stud-space is either behind the range or behind the fridge.
The area behind the small counter next the range is full.

What are your thoughts on adding an outlet to the range?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
[...]

Can be done, but you may need a high temperature wire.

Given that a regular receptacle is difficult, look at using a surface run
with product such as Wiremold that is made for your situation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 20, 10:34�am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

they stopped making them that way because of safety issues.

do you totally lack counter space?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Dec 20, 10:37*am, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
[...]

Second the motion on Wiremold. The product is used everywhere to make
tidy electrical installations, but seldom in homes. For the modest
price, it saves so much aggravation that it should be part of every
DIY skill set. If your box store doesn't have all the trick Wiremold
fittings you want look over the stock at a good distributor store.
They will have extra long Wiremold conduit and other problem solvers.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 20, 11:37*am, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
[...]

Already considered that...and easily obtainable.

Given that a regular receptacle is difficult, look at using a surface run
with product such as Wiremold that is made for your situation.- Hide quoted text -

Are you suggesting putting an receptacle in a surface mount box and
wiring it with a "extension cord" plugged into an existing receptacle?
I'm not sure I'd like that look, but I had considered it. I didn't
think that that would be compliant though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 20, 11:44*am, " wrote:
[...]

What safety issues are you referring to? I would have thought they
were just saving money - raise the price but cut the features.

do you totally lack counter space?-

Totally? No, but it's a small kitchen with *limited* counter space.
The counter next to the range rarely get used so it's a perfect spot
for "long term" use of the slow cooker and bread machine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

*I doubt that anything you do to this stove will be compliant and you can
kiss whatever warranty that you have goodbye. You could try contacting the
factory to see if there is an accessory kit available.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2008-12-20, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Given that a regular receptacle is difficult, look at using a
surface run with product such as Wiremold that is made for your
situation.

Are you suggesting putting an receptacle in a surface mount box and
wiring it with a "extension cord" plugged into an existing
receptacle? I'm not sure I'd like that look, but I had considered
it. I didn't think that that would be compliant though.

No, the way you use wiremold is to take an existing outlet (like the
outlet your gas range plugs into) and replace the face plate with a
wiremold extender box that projects past the finish wall. That allows
you to get started on your wiremold run at a power source. Then use
run the raceway on the surface of the wall to your desired outlet
location.

Cheers, Wayne

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 20, 12:49*pm, "John Grabowski" wrote:
[...]

factory to see if there is an accessory kit available.- Hide quoted text -

Range is well outside the warranty period.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2008-12-20, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Given that a regular receptacle is difficult, look at using a
surface run with product such as Wiremold that is made for your
situation.

Are you suggesting putting an receptacle in a surface mount box and
wiring it with a "extension cord" plugged into an existing
receptacle? *I'm not sure I'd like that look, but I had considered
it. I didn't think that that would be compliant though.

No, the way you use wiremold is to take an existing outlet (like the
outlet your gas range plugs into) and replace the face plate with a
wiremold extender box that projects past the finish wall. *That allows
you to get started on your wiremold run at a power source. *Then use
run the raceway on the surface of the wall to your desired outlet
location.

Cheers, Wayne

Thanks! I looked at the Wiremold site and found the parts I would
need.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Take a look herehttp://www.wiremold.com/diy/- Hide quoted text -

Thanks! I looked at the Wiremold site and found the parts I would
need.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 07:34:20 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

Not good. When it comes time to buy a new range, all you will think
about is that damn electrical outlet. The best solution is to
install a new outlet coneniently located near the range.