Posted to alt.home.repair

Default adding outlet in basement

Should I be adding a metal outlet box on a cinder block wall or is a
plastic box acceptable? I'm running 14 gauge, 3 conductor copper NM
wire and the outlet is to be used for a freezer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I always use metal ones. The plastic ones are mostly just for penny
pinching contractors.

Posted to alt.home.repair
John Grabowski

wrote in message
ups.com...
Should I be adding a metal outlet box on a cinder block wall or is a
plastic box acceptable? I'm running 14 gauge, 3 conductor copper NM
wire and the outlet is to be used for a freezer.

For surface mount I always use metal. I suggest that you use 12 gauge cable
for your freezer instead of 14. Your compressor will thank you with a
greater life span.

Posted to alt.home.repair

John Grabowski wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
Should I be adding a metal outlet box on a cinder block wall or is a
plastic box acceptable? I'm running 14 gauge, 3 conductor copper NM
wire and the outlet is to be used for a freezer.

For surface mount I always use metal. I suggest that you use 12 gauge cable
for your freezer instead of 14. Your compressor will thank you with a
greater life span.

I'm wondering why the recommendation for metal over plastic?

Posted to alt.home.repair
John Grabowski

"z" wrote in message
ups.com...

John Grabowski wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
Should I be adding a metal outlet box on a cinder block wall or is a
plastic box acceptable? I'm running 14 gauge, 3 conductor copper NM
wire and the outlet is to be used for a freezer.

For surface mount I always use metal. I suggest that you use 12 gauge

cable
for your freezer instead of 14. Your compressor will thank you with a
greater life span.

I'm wondering why the recommendation for metal over plastic?

Durability.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 17:53:07 -0400, "John Grabowski"
wrote:

"z" wrote in message
oups.com...

John Grabowski wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
Should I be adding a metal outlet box on a cinder block wall or is a
plastic box acceptable? I'm running 14 gauge, 3 conductor copper NM
wire and the outlet is to be used for a freezer.

For surface mount I always use metal. I suggest that you use 12 gauge

cable
for your freezer instead of 14. Your compressor will thank you with a
greater life span.

I'm wondering why the recommendation for metal over plastic?

Durability.

And ease of mounting. Most plastic ones are made to be side nailed to
wooden studs. Sure, you can drill into the back of the plastic box,
but why bother when a metal box is 50 cents more.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message

You are going to have to lose that thinking. The exceptions to the
GFCI rules are becoming fewer and fewer. The laundry went away in
2005. A properly working refrigerator should not trip a GFCI. It is
common that old ones develop shorts in the compressor that trip a GFCI
but that is a fault, not normal operation.

But is must be on a separate circuit. (I don't see the need for GFCI that
way though). If it shares a circuit and a toaster trips the GFCI it may be
hours before anyone notices it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On 27 Jun 2006 09:56:34 -0700, "

Should I be adding a metal outlet box on a cinder block wall or is a
plastic box acceptable? I'm running 14 gauge, 3 conductor copper NM
wire and the outlet is to be used for a freezer.

If the wall is dry I would use metal so it not subject to damage.
Ideally the freezer should go on a SEPERATE NON GFCI circuit for max
dependability

Why non GFCI, especially considering that if the freezer fails, the
ice will melt and it will be wet?