Posted to alt.home.repair

Default adding another V220 outlet

Hi,
My garage has a newly installed 100 Amp panel.
I'm running a single V220 outlet via two 15 Amp brakers (30 Amp
total), a 15 Amp double V110 outlet
and the following lighting: four double 4 foot neon fictures.

Do I have enough power to install another 30 Amp outlet?

Thanks for you help

Aldo
Brooklyn, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/4/2008 9:49 AM abarone300 spake thus:

My garage has a newly installed 100 Amp panel.
I'm running a single V220 outlet via two 15 Amp brakers (30 Amp
total), a 15 Amp double V110 outlet
and the following lighting: four double 4 foot neon fictures.

Do I have enough power to install another 30 Amp outlet?

Can you do arithmetic?

100
-30
-15
-15
------
not zero

(I used 15 amps for you lights just for simplicty's sake). Obviously,
you have power left over.

Keep in mind that the sum of breakers in your panel *can* exceed the
total capacity of the panel* *if* not all devices are used at the same
time (the most likely case).

* Remember, as pointed out numerous places here, that the capacity of
the panel *isn't* the capacity of the main breakers or even what's
printed on the panel: it's the capacity of the wires feeding the panel.

conversation with the average voter.

- Attributed to Winston Churchill
Posted to alt.home.repair

"abarone300" wrote in message
Hi,
My garage has a newly installed 100 Amp panel.
I'm running a single V220 outlet via two 15 Amp brakers (30 Amp
total), a 15 Amp double V110 outlet
and the following lighting: four double 4 foot neon fictures.

Do I have enough power to install another 30 Amp outlet?

Thanks for you help

Aldo
Brooklyn, NY

That depends, judging from what you've written, it's clear that you really
don't know what you have. If you believe that two 15 amp breakers gives you
a 30 amp circuit, you would probably believe that two 50 amp breakers gives
you a 100 amp circuit. Having a 100 amp panel, says nothing for the size of
the feeder it's connected to, so the answer to your question, given the
information that you've supplied, is that you may or may not have enough
power to add a 30 amp outlet

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 4, 12:49*pm, abarone300 wrote:
Hi,
My garage has a newly installed 100 Amp panel.
I'm running a single V220 outlet via two 15 Amp brakers (30 Amp
total), a 15 Amp double V110 outlet
and the following lighting: four double 4 foot neon fictures.

Do I have enough power to install another 30 Amp outlet?

Thanks for you help

Aldo
Brooklyn, NY

David,

No need to be abusive, if I wanted that I would have called my ex
wife!
By the way, you forgot to add the lighting, It does stay on when I use
my tools...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 4, 2:19*pm, "Joseph Meehan" wrote:
* * Let's hope those two 15 AMP breakers are connected so when one trips the
other is tripped.

* * Note: you don't have 30 amp total. *Those two 15 amp breakers are
supplying one 15 amp 240V circuit. *The voltage doubles and the power
doubles, but the amps remain the same.

* * It certainly sounds like you have the capacity for another 30 amp
circuit. *There may be an issue of how many circuits you can pull from the
panel, but I would be surprised if it would not handle the additional
circuit.

"abarone300" wrote in message

Hi,
My garage has a newly installed 100 Amp panel.
I'm running a single V220 outlet via two 15 Amp brakers (30 Amp
total), a 15 Amp double V110 outlet
and the following lighting: four double 4 foot neon fictures.

* * Do you really mean neon or are they florescent?

--
Joseph Meehan

*Dia 's Muire duit

Thanks, I meant florescent...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 4, 4:50*pm, "RBM" wrote:
[...]

Dear RBM

You are expert, I am not. I do not know what I have, that is why I'm
asking!
I do realize that some people on this forum want to help. Others,
like you
not so much!
Thanks anyhow
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , David Nebenzahl wrote:

* Remember, as pointed out numerous places here, that the capacity of
the panel *isn't* the capacity of the main breakers or even what's
printed on the panel: it's the capacity of the wires feeding the panel.

No it isn't.

The capacity of the panel is whichever of those three numbers is the smallest.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 4, 4:50 pm, "RBM" wrote:
[...]

Dear Aldo, until you are able to articulate your situation properly, there
is no one at this or any other group, that will be able to help you

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/4/2008 2:14 PM Doug Miller spake thus:

In article , David Nebenzahl wrote:

* Remember, as pointed out numerous places here, that the capacity of
the panel *isn't* the capacity of the main breakers or even what's
printed on the panel: it's the capacity of the wires feeding the panel.

No it isn't.

The capacity of the panel is whichever of those three numbers is the smallest.

Yes, I stand (sit, actually) corrected.

conversation with the average voter.

- Attributed to Winston Churchill
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article 5a02e4d9-0a5b-4dc4-9967-8745405df139
@p25g2000hsf.googlegroups.com, says...
On Jun 4, 4:50=A0pm, "RBM" wrote:
[...]

Actually, if you had spend any time at all browsing this group before
posting your question, you would realize that RBM is one of the very
most helpful people here when it comes to answering electrical
questions.

And he's right. You haven't given enough information to provide a
meaningful answer to your question. As I noted in another post in this
thread, the capacity of your panel is the rating of the main breakers,
OR the rating of the panel itself, OR the rating of the wires feeding
the panel -- whichever of the three is smallest. So far, the only
information you've provided is the rating of the main breakers.

When you refer to a "V220" circuit using two 15A breakers as "30 amp
total" you show that you don't understand electricity well enough to be
messing around with this stuff yourself -- so the correct answer to your
questions is "Call an electrician."