Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Adding exterior electrical outlet

I'd like to add an exterior outlet for some landscape lighting.

Is it against code to "T" off of an existing electrical outlet that is
already on a GCFI breaker and put a surface mount exterior box on the
outside of the home?

All I'd have to do is drill a hole through the siding and for the wire to
pass then seal it up behind the box with silicone. The outside box will
have a rain shield and the flap type doors.

The circuit that the outside lights would be on is lightly used. (Clock
radio and some lamps)

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

That's fine, and if the circuit wasn't GFCI protected, you'd use a GFCI
outlet with a "rain tight while in use" cover

"Mook Johnson" wrote in message
I'd like to add an exterior outlet for some landscape lighting.

Is it against code to "T" off of an existing electrical outlet that is
already on a GCFI breaker and put a surface mount exterior box on the
outside of the home?

All I'd have to do is drill a hole through the siding and for the wire to
pass then seal it up behind the box with silicone. The outside box will
have a rain shield and the flap type doors.

The circuit that the outside lights would be on is lightly used. (Clock
radio and some lamps)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mook Johnson" wrote in message
I'd like to add an exterior outlet for some landscape lighting.

Is it against code to "T" off of an existing electrical outlet that is
already on a GCFI breaker and put a surface mount exterior box on the
outside of the home?

No, that's perfectly fine, provided that you hook it up on the 'load' side
of the GFCI so that the GFCI will control the new outlet as well.

All I'd have to do is drill a hole through the siding and for the wire to
pass then seal it up behind the box with silicone. The outside box will
have a rain shield and the flap type doors.

If you use it for landscape lighting, you want to use an "in-use" cover
instead of the flap-type. They are raintight even with a cord plugged in,
which you'll need since you won't be unplugging the landscape lighting every
time it rains...

-Tim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 9 Oct 2006 22:03:26 -0400, "RBM" rbm2(remove
wrote:

That's fine, and if the circuit wasn't GFCI protected, you'd use a GFCI
outlet with a "rain tight while in use" cover

Actually, I'd do that anyway. No point in having the
re-set button on the other side of the wall.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

Goedjn wrote:
"RBM" wrote:

That's fine, and if the circuit wasn't GFCI protected, you'd use a GFCI
outlet with a "rain tight while in use" cover

Actually, I'd do that anyway. No point in having the
re-set button on the other side of the wall.

Even with a cover in place, an exterior receptacle is prone to premature
failure from temperature and humidity extremes. Having the GFCI inside
is a good idea.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 01:27:56 GMT, "Mook Johnson"
wrote:

I'd like to add an exterior outlet for some landscape lighting.

Is it against code to "T" off of an existing electrical outlet that is
already on a GCFI breaker and put a surface mount exterior box on the
outside of the home?

All I'd have to do is drill a hole through the siding and for the wire to
pass then seal it up behind the box with silicone. The outside box will
have a rain shield and the flap type doors.

The circuit that the outside lights would be on is lightly used. (Clock
radio and some lamps)

I just installed outside receptacles downstream from the single
receptacle (GFCI protected) requirred in an unfinished basement, and
it sounds like you are doing the same.

Not there, so not a how-to, but this is what I would make sure is
done:

Some things:
1. Makesure you have an exterior box and an 'in-use' cover. Which
sounds like your 'rain shield'.

2. Ensure the circuit is GFCI protected, by using a hand held tester.

3. I like adding circuits, rather than tapping into existing ones, so
I would try and see if I can add a circuit.

Good luck, fill us in on what you did, maybe some photos too.

tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info