Posted to alt.home.repair
JSz JSz is offline

Default Adding or moving an electrical outlet

I am installing a projector in my home and I would like to move my
existing power outlet about 10 feet. I would like to run the wire
behind the wall to keep things looking nice. I am not an electrician,
but I have done some basic home electrical work such as replacing
outlets and I installed a new dishwasher (where none previously
existed) which meant I had to run wires into the basement and manage my
circuit breakers.

Essentially, I want to make sure I am not doing something stupid when
I:

1. Get a solid wire set (with ground) with enough capacity for the
items that will be plugged in (12 or 10 gauge -- bigger is better)

2. Either connect (gang) the new wire to the existing outlet OR remove
the old outlet completely and connect the new wiring to the old using
screw-on wire connectors. Note that the house is very old, and the
existing wiring has a black fabric casing.

3. Run the new wire to the desired location. (Do I need a channel for
this?)

4. Connect and install new outlet.

This seems straight forward and simple enough for me to do. However I
like my house and I want to prevent fires. Is there anything that I
need to keep in mind while doing this, or anything that I should not
do?

Thanks,

Jesse

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JSz" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

What floor of the house is this on? If first floor, I'd run the new wire
down to the basement and back up again. Behind the wall, you're going to run
into beams every 16" or whatever it is/was for your old house. Look at the
picture on the right, at this link:
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/fea...gh-a-wall.html
The horizontal wire - that's how AC wires are supposed to be run. No way
you're going to do that with a 10 foot run, unless you tear down chunks of
wall.

Another option is this:
"Surface wiring systems can be used to extend electric power from any
existing outlet to another location without cutting into walls, floors, or
ceilings. Surface wiring systems simplify the process; for one thing, you
don't need to fish around for electric wire. They can also be used to
conceal and protect existing lamp cords, wires, or cables inside their
channels, called raceways."
http://www.doityourself.com/stry/installsurfacewiring

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"JSz" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Also, for the first floor, I see fancy new places in the house porn
magazines are all of a sudden featuring floor mounted outlets in their
hardwood floors again. Looks like it would be less hassle than running
wiring up into the wall.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"z" wrote in message
oups.com...

Also, for the first floor, I see fancy new places in the house porn
magazines are all of a sudden featuring floor mounted outlets in their
hardwood floors again. Looks like it would be less hassle than running
wiring up into the wall.

House porn. Funny. :-) You mean the magazines whose blurbs on the covers
say "Great Ideas For Small Bathrooms!", and you find the story and the
bathroom's the size of your whole house?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 19:05:39 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"z" wrote in message
roups.com...

Also, for the first floor, I see fancy new places in the house porn
magazines are all of a sudden featuring floor mounted outlets in their
hardwood floors again. Looks like it would be less hassle than running
wiring up into the wall.

If you've got rooms that are more than 12' in both directions,
you really sort of need floor-mounted outlets.

Posted to alt.home.repair

JSz wrote:
[...]

Get a copy of the book "Wiring Simplified" and read it. That will take
you three to five evenings. Then come back here and ask any questions
it has not answered.

The easiest way to run the cable in a finished room is to run the cable
through an adjacent unfinished space. If there is no adjacent
unfinished space then remove the baseboard between the two locations.
Then remove all of the plaster from behind the baseboard making sure
that the reinstalled baseboard will cover all of the opening. Drill
holes through the base of the now visible studs to run your cable
through. As you will learn in wiring simplified those holes must be at
least 1&1/4" from the face of the stud so that the fasteners used to
install plaster or trim are unlikely to damage the cable. Install
plaster or wood pieces as spacers and reinstall the baseboard. If you
have access to unfinished space such as an attic or basement above or
below the room in question you can run the cable through the unfinished
space and leave the baseboard undisturbed.

Tie the new cable for the circuit extension into the two boxes in
accordance with the instructions in the wiring simplified book.
--
Tom Horne

Well we aren't no thin blue heroes and yet we aren't no blackguards to.
We're just working men and woman most remarkable like you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"JSz" wrote in message

1. Get a solid wire set (with ground) with enough capacity for the
items that will be plugged in (12 or 10 gauge -- bigger is better)

10 gauge is very difficult to work with for a normal 15A (#14 wire) or 20A
(#12 wire) outlet. Stick with normal sizes.

2. Either connect (gang) the new wire to the existing outlet OR remove
the old outlet completely and connect the new wiring to the old using
screw-on wire connectors. Note that the house is very old, and the
existing wiring has a black fabric casing.

Probably best to connect to the existing outlet. If you do remove it, do
not bury it in the wall. It must be accessable for code. You never know
when you need another outlet anyway.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5 Oct 2006 10:43:46 -0700, "JSz" wrote:

I am installing a projector in my home and I would like to move my
existing power outlet about 10 feet. I would like to run the wire
behind the wall to keep things looking nice. I am not an electrician,
but I have done some basic home electrical work such as replacing
outlets and I installed a new dishwasher (where none previously
existed) which meant I had to run wires into the basement and manage my
circuit breakers.

Essentially, I want to make sure I am not doing something stupid when
I:

1. Get a solid wire set (with ground) with enough capacity for the
items that will be plugged in (12 or 10 gauge -- bigger is better)

Usually the 12 gauge wire is what to use.

2. Either connect (gang) the new wire to the existing outlet OR remove
the old outlet completely and connect the new wiring to the old using
screw-on wire connectors. Note that the house is very old, and the
existing wiring has a black fabric casing.

Don't remove the existing outlet, just add another outlet. Make sure
your connections are tight.

3. Run the new wire to the desired location. (Do I need a channel for
this?)

Use Romex. It is designed for in-wall use. You can use surface-mount
metal channels if you can't get into the walls.

4. Connect and install new outlet.

This seems straight forward and simple enough for me to do. However I
like my house and I want to prevent fires. Is there anything that I
need to keep in mind while doing this, or anything that I should not
do?

Make sure you are working with wire that is not live! In fact, cover
plates should not be removed unless the power is off.

Thanks,

Jesse