Posted to alt.home.repair
JSz JSz is offline

Default Adding or moving an electrical outlet

I am installing a projector in my home and I would like to move my
existing power outlet about 10 feet. I would like to run the wire
behind the wall to keep things looking nice. I am not an electrician,
but I have done some basic home electrical work such as replacing
outlets and I installed a new dishwasher (where none previously
existed) which meant I had to run wires into the basement and manage my
circuit breakers.

Essentially, I want to make sure I am not doing something stupid when
I:

1. Get a solid wire set (with ground) with enough capacity for the
items that will be plugged in (12 or 10 gauge -- bigger is better)

2. Either connect (gang) the new wire to the existing outlet OR remove
the old outlet completely and connect the new wiring to the old using
screw-on wire connectors. Note that the house is very old, and the
existing wiring has a black fabric casing.

3. Run the new wire to the desired location. (Do I need a channel for
this?)

4. Connect and install new outlet.

This seems straight forward and simple enough for me to do. However I
like my house and I want to prevent fires. Is there anything that I
need to keep in mind while doing this, or anything that I should not
do?

Thanks,

Jesse