Posted to alt.home.repair
PHX PHX is offline

Default Changing media( resin) in a water softener

Long story short I think the resin is shot in a 12 + year old softener that
sat unused for 10 years before being put into use.
At best the resign just may be inefficient compared to what is available
today.
ANy thoughts on what I need to know or do to change the resign?
Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 15, 2:32*pm, "PHX" wrote:
Long story short I think the resin is shot in a 12 + year old softener that
sat unused for 10 years before being put into use.
At best the resign just may be inefficient compared to what is available
today.
ANy thoughts on what I need to know or do to change the resign?
Thanks

You ought to be able to take a sample of the resin to a local water
testing lab and have them see what's happening.

Also, It might take a few cycles of use before the resin is fully
functional. Also, if the resin sat for that long, it make be caked
together, and a good stirring might separate the grains so they all
are working. It should have the consistency of fine sand. I would
take the exchange tank out of the softener and fill the exchange tank
with water and then try turning it upside down and maybe on its side
and rolling it around to loosen things up. Then cycle a few times and
see what happens. I have not heard of the resin dying just to old
inactive age.
Posted to alt.home.repair
PHX PHX is offline

"hr(bob) " wrote in message
On Dec 15, 2:32 pm, "PHX" wrote:
[...]

Its been a year of cycles, that is why i think there may be a problem. It
had not occurred to me that the resin could be caked together.
How do I remove the exchange tank...is this something separate from the main
tank to which the head is attached( something that can be removed through
the top?
OR do I just take the head off and "shake " the whole tank up?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 15, 11:48*pm, "PHX" wrote:
"hr(bob) " wrote in message

On Dec 15, 2:32 pm, "PHX" wrote: Long story short I think the resin is shot in a 12 + year old softener
[...]

The exchange tank is about a foot in diameter and several feet tall.
It is the only tank insiide the whole softener. Any way to shake it
up ought to be tried. If you can get the head off, a long rod ought
to be able to stir things up. But, after a year of trying, I have to
feel not too optimistic that you will see much change, but if you can
save some $$$ it's worth trying.

Bob H
Posted to alt.home.repair
PHX PHX is offline

"hr(bob) " wrote in message
On Dec 15, 11:48 pm, "PHX" wrote:
"hr(bob) " wrote in message

[...]

Ah, mine is a separate system, the exchange tank and mineral tank are two
units, fleck head.
my tank is about 48 inches tall or so.
I will take a look at it an see what I can "see"

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

My water softener is after a sandfilter and the system is supplied by a
flowing spring with a pickup in a pond. When I bought the property the
filter and softener had been neglected. I dumped the media from each one in
large plastic tubs and flooded it with flowing water without letting the
media float out and rinsed all the crud off with the flowing water. They
both have worked fine since.

"PHX" wrote in message

"hr(bob) " wrote in message
On Dec 15, 11:48 pm, "PHX" wrote:
"hr(bob) " wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"PHX" wrote in message

"hr(bob) " wrote in message
On Dec 15, 11:48 pm, "PHX" wrote:
"hr(bob) " wrote in message

[...]

The only way resin can clump is after being seriously damaged by
chlorine.

If you remove the control valve, you'll probably pull the distributor
tube up off the bottom on the tank and you'll have to put it back into
the dimple in the bottom center of the tank before putting the control
valve back on the tank or you can break the bottom basket and get
gravel and resin out into your plumbing.

Gary Slusser
Quality Water Associates
Posted to alt.home.repair
PHX PHX is offline

Default Changing media( resin) in a water softener- C-100-E resin

I think if I go to the trouble of emptying the tank I will just go a head
and refill with new resin.
Is there anything else in the tank? someone mentioned gravel I thought.
I am looking at using puolite C-100-E as the replacement.
Any thoughts on the resin type?

"PHX" wrote in message

"hr(bob) " wrote in message
On Dec 15, 11:48 pm, "PHX" wrote:
"hr(bob) " wrote in message

[...]

Water softener resin tank Bob Landry Home Repair 3 August 2nd 07 02:29 AM
Old Tectonics water softener resin tank leaking Ed Home Repair 1 April 11th 07 01:01 PM
Kenmore Water Softener resin tank rupture Tsmall Home Repair 7 November 26th 06 09:19 AM
Resin in water softener drain [email protected] Home Repair 1 July 16th 06 06:06 AM