Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kenmore Water Softener resin tank rupture

I have a Kenmore water softener Model 625 75822 that was installed by Sears
when my house was built 6 years ago.

Yesterday the inner resin tank ruptured and allowed the main salt tank to
receive unchecked full pressure water from the main line which overflowed
the tank and flooded my basement.

The small overflow line to the drain was in no way able to handle the full
blown water flow so by the time I discovered it there was 5" of water over
the entire basement.

So, my question is: is there a water softener manufacturer out there that
supplies a "safe from flooding" product? Something that can detect such a
failure and automatically bypass the unit to protect their customers
home?

I know there's a float inside my unit that detects the proper water level
during the regeneration cycle - why can't it have a secondary "alert"
position (i.e. exceeds 2" above safe level and shut off or bypass).

Once the replacement tank comes in Sears is repairing the unit under the
unit's 10 year leak warranty, but what do I do about my $500.00 insurance
deductible and all the hassle associated with replacing the damaged / lost
material from my basement. Surely the engineers can think a little further
and help to guard against such disasterous failures.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 14:38:56 -0600, "Tsmall"
wrote:

[...]

Invest in a Sump Pump......?

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

There are 3rd party valves that can detect flooding and turn off water to
the appliance.

"Tsmall" wrote in message
news:e10d4990d4b51b64d07664e92ad34aad@homerepairli ve.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

There's also a cheap sensor you put on the floor what sets off a "smoke
detector" sound when there is water. They are used to put outside of
sumps in case the pump fails.

"Tsmall" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

You probably just got a bad tank. So the chances of having it happen
again are small. But what's your water pressure like?

Also, do you have a check-valve on your water line coming into your
house.

Tsmall wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tsmall" wrote in message
[...]

Is Sears covering parts and labor or just parts under the warranty? From
talking to Sear Service for someone in the very same situation as you
(ruptured in the seam of the resin tank) I was led to believe it covered the
parts only. With the estimated cost for the service call to confirm the
obvious problem plus labor to install the new tank it was decided that a new
softener was the best solution to the problem. There was no fudge on what
was stated as Sear's policy that unless Sears did all the labor they would
not honor the warranty. I have to guess from your post that there was or
still maybe a problem with resin tanks made for Sears. While Sears may not
be the only company to have problems with resin tanks, they are however the
only one I've read about and actually seen.

Just to error to the side of caution, if Sears has not committed to paying
the labor get an estimate for time and materials before they return to
install the tank.

There are pans made to set water heaters in to catch the water in case the
tank ruptures. If you are close enough to a floor drain or sump pit the pans
have a knock out to install a 3/4" or 1" drain line.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tsmall wrote:

[...]

Hmmm,
All my life using softener and never saw the resin tank breaking. What
is your water pressure? Have a regulator at main inlet? And how come no
basement drain? My softener is always located near the drain to minimize
the chance of flooding.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Resin Tank.......
What a joke....
You need a STEEL tank

I recall a time when they made things out of steel instead of
plastic....

You also need a good lawyer.
Sue Sue Sue .....

Mark

Old Tectonics water softener resin tank leaking Ed Home Repair 1 April 11th 07 01:01 PM
Resin in water softener drain [email protected] Home Repair 1 July 16th 06 06:06 AM
Flooded Salt Tank - Kenmore Water Softener ... S Rao Home Repair 6 October 11th 04 01:41 AM
Kenmore Water Softener leaking water in brine tank Gary Sweeten Home Repair 2 May 25th 04 05:18 AM